Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Could any of the "old timers" here answer a question about liquor?

Why do the liquor bottles here have those rediculous plastic "mufflers" in the neck of the bottle to restrict and block the flow? The reason I'm asking, is, I brought a set of pre-measured pour spouts down here this trip and was planning on using them to meter the amount of alcohol I am imbiding! Have tried to pry-out the plastic so I can use the pre-measured pour spouts, but I think I might ruin the bottles in the process. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I notice the AI bars all have measured pours, and they should be getting their liquor at the same source.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi Siu's Dad View Post
    Why do the liquor bottles here have those rediculous plastic "mufflers" in the neck of the bottle to restrict and block the flow? The reason I'm asking, is, I brought a set of pre-measured pour spouts down here this trip and was planning on using them to meter the amount of alcohol I am imbiding! Have tried to pry-out the plastic so I can use the pre-measured pour spouts, but I think I might ruin the bottles in the process. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I notice the AI bars all have measured pours, and they should be getting their liquor at the same source.
    They are easy to pop out, we do it all the time

3. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sylindr View Post
    They are easy to pop out, we do it all the time
    How? Do you break it? Is there a trick?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi Siu's Dad View Post
    How? Do you break it? Is there a trick?
    It's wise to do it before you start drinking.

I do it on olive oil bottles, vinegar, everything. It is not hard. I usually use a church-key opener and some needle-nose pliers.

6. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

among other reason, the plastic thingy makes it more difficult to falsify the product.

in any case, you can take it out using bent wire hanger you should be able to pop it out with ease without damaging the neck. in some bottles the plastic may come out with the bottle top (screw cap, whatever it's called).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day I believe they were a measuring device. I can't speak for alcohol, but a soy sauce bottle if held upside down would measure out a tablespoon and then stop pouring. That's what my Chinese roommate in university showed me anyway. Things may be different now.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The ones I've used just allow for a smooth pour - especially on the 1.5 liter bottles(?).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe it is a flame arrestor.  I get them out with a corkscrew.

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Fruit flies.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They are supposed to take the place of a tradition bar style pour spout. If you want to remove them, insert the tip of a knife under the edge and they should pop out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast