Could any of the "old timers" here answer a question about liquor?

Jan 7, 2016
Why do the liquor bottles here have those rediculous plastic "mufflers" in the neck of the bottle to restrict and block the flow? The reason I'm asking, is, I brought a set of pre-measured pour spouts down here this trip and was planning on using them to meter the amount of alcohol I am imbiding! Have tried to pry-out the plastic so I can use the pre-measured pour spouts, but I think I might ruin the bottles in the process. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I notice the AI bars all have measured pours, and they should be getting their liquor at the same source.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Why do the liquor bottles here have those rediculous plastic "mufflers" in the neck of the bottle to restrict and block the flow? The reason I'm asking, is, I brought a set of pre-measured pour spouts down here this trip and was planning on using them to meter the amount of alcohol I am imbiding! Have tried to pry-out the plastic so I can use the pre-measured pour spouts, but I think I might ruin the bottles in the process. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I notice the AI bars all have measured pours, and they should be getting their liquor at the same source.

They are easy to pop out, we do it all the time

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
among other reason, the plastic thingy makes it more difficult to falsify the product.

in any case, you can take it out using bent wire hanger ;) you should be able to pop it out with ease without damaging the neck. in some bottles the plastic may come out with the bottle top (screw cap, whatever it's called).

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Back in the day I believe they were a measuring device. I can't speak for alcohol, but a soy sauce bottle if held upside down would measure out a tablespoon and then stop pouring. That's what my Chinese roommate in university showed me anyway. Things may be different now.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I believe it is a flame arrestor.  I get them out with a corkscrew.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
They are supposed to take the place of a tradition bar style pour spout. If you want to remove them, insert the tip of a knife under the edge and they should pop out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
It's a measuring device, a six count is a shot and a half ,most places now are only pouring one shot which is not a real drink.