What do to with Dealership financed car? need to leave DR!

yokie2439

Feb 7, 2017
Hi...hope you can give me a bit of advice.  Long story short.
Moved here in Aug 2016...Bought a truck= piece of junk, ripped off!.  Friend offered to help me "trade-in" truck and get a newer more reliable car and just make monthly payments.  Went to dealership...got a nice car...while waiting for it to be cleaned and spruced all up....minutes before leaving lot they put the new battery in BACKWARDS!  Thereby blowing out all the electrical and continuing to say "no hay problema".  Well they WAS a "problema"  LOTS of them.  We had a one month "guarantee " which essentially meant, come back every week and we will fix all the problems with black tape. Finally, we got another friend who is a big wig of sorts in town to threaten them and forced them to give us another car...they did and of course changed an outrageous amount for it. Per our mechanic (who YES! we asked if he could ck the cars our prior to purchase but were told no) says this car is also crap and will soon fail also.  Sooooo....my question.....

I'm BROKE...really really in a hole thanks to this situation among others that have happened since arrival.  Our family has decided that for us living here is a real money pit and simply can't continue.  I need to leave.  

So, what do I do with this car now????  My mechanic says if I just leave it and not pay...it will destroy my "credit".  Which I'm not too concerned about.  A friend suggested...taking it to the dealership for an oil change and never coming back. It's theirs anyway, technically.  

My problem with most of these scenarios and my biggest concern is...my friends who helped us initially (native Dominicans).  The dealership has their info...phone and address etc. as a "reference" for us. (they are NOT on the loan, car NOT in their name at all)  I just don't want them being dragged through this or being bugged by collectors...in case DR might functions like US and other countries when you owe debt. Will they be threaten or bugged by a collector even though its not their car or in their name, nor are a co-signer.

Any ideas? 
PS: Thought of just selling it and paying off loan BUT there is a high prepayment penalty! 

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do what any self respecting Dominican would do. Nothing, no more payments and when they want the car they can come and take it.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I like the take it in for oil change and then don't go back. What type of truck is it? The dealership has no recourse to go after your friend if he is not on the loan/purchase agreement.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Moved here in Aug 2016...Bought a truck= piece of junk, ripped off!.  Friend offered to help me "trade-in" truck and get a newer more reliable car and just make monthly payments.  Went to dealership...got a nice car...while waiting for it to be cleaned and spruced all up....minutes before leaving lot they put the new battery in BACKWARDS!  Thereby blowing out all the electrical and continuing to say "no hay problema".  Well they WAS a "problema"  LOTS of them.  We had a one month "guarantee " which essentially meant, come back every week and we will fix all the problems with black tape. Finally, we got another friend who is a big wig of sorts in town to threaten them and forced them to give us another car...they did and of course changed an outrageous amount for it. Per our mechanic (who YES! we asked if he could ck the cars our prior to purchase but were told no) says this car is also crap and will soon fail also.  Sooooo....my question.....

I'm BROKE...really really in a hole thanks to this situation among others that have happened since arrival.  Our family has decided that for us living here is a real money pit and simply can't continue.  I need to leave.  

So, what do I do with this car now????  My mechanic says if I just leave it and not pay...it will destroy my "credit".  Which I'm not too concerned about.  A friend suggested...taking it to the dealership for an oil change and never coming back. It's theirs anyway, technically.  

My problem with most of these scenarios and my biggest concern is...my friends who helped us initially (native Dominicans).  The dealership has their info...phone and address etc. as a "reference" for us. (they are NOT on the loan, car NOT in their name at all)  I just don't want them being dragged through this or being bugged by collectors...in case DR might functions like US and other countries when you owe debt. Will they be threaten or bugged by a collector even though its not their car or in their name, nor are a co-signer.

Any ideas? 
PS: Thought of just selling it and paying off loan BUT there is a high prepayment penalty! 

i am sympathetic with your plight, but this is what happens when you think you have Dominican friends, and you trust them to handle matters such as this. let us get real here. you are a foreigner. you moved here from another country. you met these people by happenstance. they are acquaintances. they are not your friends. friendship is made of sterner stuff..when you want a car, they are going to locate one for you. the seller will be asking 200,000 pesos, but your newly minted, salt of the earth friends are going to tell you 250,000. you get to guess where the 50 large goes. so, save your tears, and don't do too much lamentation for the guys who led you to the cars. they will be just fine.

yokie2439

Feb 7, 2017
i am sympathetic with your plight, but this is what happens when you think you have Dominican friends, and you trust them to handle matters such as this. let us get real here. you are a foreigner. you moved here from another country. you met these people by happenstance. they are acquaintances. they are not your friends. friendship is made of sterner stuff..when you want a car, they are going to locate one for you. the seller will be asking 200,000 pesos, but your newly minted, salt of the earth friends are going to tell you 250,000. you get to guess where the 50 large goes. so, save your tears, and don't do too much lamentation for the guys who led you to the cars. they will be just fine.

:( True...very true.  I failed to mention my "friend" sold me the first TRUCK!  Point taken...point taken! 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
:( True...very true.  I failed to mention my "friend" sold me the first TRUCK!  Point taken...point taken! 

i have been around this country for a very long time. i know of which i speak. forget the friend crap. do what you have to do to get out of this with the least amount of personal anguish. my money bets that they have skinned you enough already.

this is a bit late for you, but i help foreigners find good cars. i can write you a book about all the Dominicans who are selling pieces of junk who have offered me money to tell my clients that the car is in tip top shape, and they will give me a cut when the deal goes through.

yokie2439

Feb 7, 2017
Last question...can "they" do anything to my passport?  In the RARE case that I  may want to return for a vacay? We got car with Cedula.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
At least you are thinking of returning the vehicle and leaving it there. A very decent thing to do. Your average Dominican will just stop paying the monthly payments.

Believe me, if you leave the truck there and walk away, that will be the very last you will ever hear about it.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward the "oil change" deal.  shhhhhh ;) 

Heck with that, just use the car until you leave and leave it parked at the airport. Yeah, they get them all with the ridiculous prices on heaps of junk. I bet your so called friend ask you to be the godfather of one of the kids, right? (chuckle).

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Last question...can "they" do anything to my passport?  In the RARE case that I  may want to return for a vacay? We got car with Cedula.

Just don't let that Dominican Fren convince to leave it with him to take back to the dealer (my fren I take you to the airport and then straight to the dealer) hahahahaha , more likely paint it/change plates and use it until he gets caught.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Heck with that, just use the car until you leave and leave it parked at the airport. Yeah, they get them all with the ridiculous prices on heaps of junk. I bet your so called friend ask you to be the godfather of one of the kids, right? (chuckle).

A whole different type of thinking, remember this is la la land. You are to honest for your own good. This is what a typical Dominican would do in such situation.

1) Paint the car
2) Get new license plate
3) Paid somebody to obtain new illegal car papers
4) Sell the card to some poor Gringo/Dominican soul.
5) Leave the country
6) Call the dealer and the insurance company and report the car stolen

I would leave it with the dealer for an oil change and call him from the state and explain the situation. Do not feel sorry, those leaches sold you the car for three or four times the original price. It is gangster paradise.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Any ideas? 

Don't worry man, just take off, I wouldnt even take it to oil-change, let them do something for the money.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you leave it at the dealer, wanna bet it'll go "missing" but you will STILL be liable for the remaining loan balance?

I'd reconsider that move.

You may want to consult with an attorney before making an emotional decision that could have severe negative impact.

If you think you've been defrauded, contact Proconsumidor and see what they suggest as a legal resolution.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
So what? Why an attorney? Leave it at the AirPort and take the keys with you. When it disappears it's stolen.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Any ideas? 

What kind of car is it? Where is it financed?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Are you guy's kidding you are talking about what a Domican would do? Come on thy would sell it then go to new york. 

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Sorry for your predicament, man. FWIW, Gorgon and Cobraboy, among others, are the most knowledgeable people on this board for everything involving vehicles. I'd put a lot of value on their advice.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Just don't let that Dominican Fren convince to leave it with him to take back to the dealer (my fren I take you to the airport and then straight to the dealer) hahahahaha , more likely paint it/change plates and use it until he gets caught.

There you go gray is thinking like a Dominican now this is more like it .