Death Certificate

CPhoenix

Feb 8, 2017
I was wondering if anyone could offer me a bit of advice. So about two years ago my father (a British citizen) kinda took off on my family and moved to the Dominican Republic on a sort of pseudo-retirement. Obviously relationships were somewhat estranged afterwards but I tried to keep contact if only to make the best of a bad situation. However, starting around mid-December he stopped responding to my emails. Things progressed over the holidays with me growing increasingly concerned about the lack of contact. Finally the previous Friday I called a place where he had worked in the DR and they notified me that he had been found dead around the 15th of December. Since then I have been trying to figure out how to go about receiving a death certificate for him. The British Embassy in Santo Domingo has been little to no use. Does anyone know the process of applying for a death certificate from abroad? I'm currently in London, England. I would really appreciate any information. Thanks ahead of time.

Cameron Phoenix

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I was wondering if anyone could offer me a bit of advice. So about two years ago my father (a British citizen) kinda took off on my family and moved to the Dominican Republic on a sort of pseudo-retirement. Obviously relationships were somewhat estranged afterwards but I tried to keep contact if only to make the best of a bad situation. However, starting around mid-December he stopped responding to my emails. Things progressed over the holidays with me growing increasingly concerned about the lack of contact. Finally the previous Friday I called a place where he had worked in the DR and they notified me that he had been found dead around the 15th of December. Since then I have been trying to figure out how to go about receiving a death certificate for him. The British Embassy in Santo Domingo has been little to no use. Does anyone know the process of applying for a death certificate from abroad? I'm currently in London, England. I would really appreciate any information. Thanks ahead of time.

Cameron Phoenix

From aboard is impossible to get it. You have to contact one of your family here to get you a copy, for the funeral service in the cementery is mandatory to have one, If they dont have it them they must get a copy in the Junta Central Electoral.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As Riva posted, this must be done in person. If you don't have anyone in DR to do that for you, try www.drsisterhood.com.  It's not free, but will be cheaper and faster than flying here and trying to do it yourself. The owner is British too. 

Last edited:

CPhoenix

Feb 8, 2017
Yeah, I don't have any family or know anyone in the DR. I'll check out the link provided. Thank you.