Diabetic supplies

May 29, 2006
Does anyone use blood test diabetic strips here? I want to know cost and availability of meters and strips for mi esposa's father, who's diabetes has gotten worse in the last year and now needs to be better monitored.

Also looking for good online resources in Spanish.

Thanks

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Does anyone use blood test diabetic strips here? I want to know cost and availability of meters and strips for mi esposa's father, who's diabetes has gotten worse in the last year and now needs to be better monitored.

Thanks

In Puerto Plata, Farmaconal - calle Beller near Metro. In the glass case they sell strips

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I actually have my strips shipped in after purchase at either amazon or ebay. Both have strips for a huge reduction in price. You can also ship a monitor this way.

Bob K

May 29, 2006
What brand would you suggest? I think he uses pee strips now. The testers are cheap, but I don't know what the cost per test would be.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If possible, probably best to keep the testing process as simple as possible. While digital monitors are more accurate and provide a means to track blood sugar levels over time, they require batteries, test strips, lancets and an ability to procure a drop of blood in a clean setting. This can be done using alcohol wipes or hand washing with clean water.

Getting the above supplies might be an ongoing issue (price/availability) here for some locals. Using urine test strips might be a more feasible and sustainable alternative in the long term.  Most unopened urinalysis strips have a shelf life of at least a couple of years. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The cost and availability in DR is prohibitive. When we learned my diabetic father in law was going to a farmacia about once a month to check his sugar, we brought down a digital machine with enough strips to last a year.  I'm pretty sure he never used it. Old habits die hard. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Everything on an island is more expensive. Too bad that preventive health tools are not subsidized by the govt. and the manufacturers in emerging economies. Buy enough strips at home initially and the meter is free. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
both testers and strips are easily available in any larger pharmacy. i do not know how the prices stack up with those on amazon but i would suggested picking up something that can also be found in DR and purchased on the spot in case of emergencies and/or any shipping issues.

JimW

May 21, 2014
My wife and I order or pickup from Walmart or CVS here in NY and ship them down either through our courier in Miami or, if not an emergency, regular box shipments where we send clothing, food, etc. We just stick them in there. It's a BIG savings than if purchased in the DR.

May 29, 2006
Diabetes seems to be becoming a serious issue in the DR. When we went to visit mi esposa's mom in the hospital, three out of the five women were there for advanced diabetic health issues. All three eventually died. It is a horrific disease when unmanaged.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my experience form the pharmacy is that many people simply do not understand that proper diet and regular exercise are life saving parts of diabetes management. i cannot count the times when i was packing diabetes medicine for the client while they were munching on bizcocho esponjoso or holding on to their order of pica pollo and fried tostones from the street seller outside.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
So true DV, and the rice and other starches are big no no's to diabetics. Adult diabetes is a huge problem here.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks
I'm not sure where you are located in DR, but I am in New York right now, with a CVS across the street from me, and a Walgreens two blocks away. I will be returning to DR this week. Private message me, and let me know where you are and if you would like me to pick up anything for you. I fly into Santo Domingo (SDQ), but as the name says, I'm in..........

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If he goes to one of the "free" or government clinics he may be able to get supplies there.

Bob K

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Bob jogged my memory. Great Grandma gets free meds and supplies from the Instituto Diabetico in Puerto Plata. They may have something similar in Higuey Peter.