Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any ideas on painting styrofoam?

Had to paint some that joins the wall to the ceiling. I thought of a primer
    but then thought our builder was so cheap he probably only used regular
    paint. I painted it and on the third pass with the brush it started to come off.
    I thought I would let it dry and see what happens. Well its all falling off. So I
    need to prime it with something. Any ideas? I looked on the web buy I need
    a solution here in the DR. thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

it depends what type of finish you want, if you are trying to paint it with a regular acrylic paint which is water based it will just flake off, a thinners based paint will affect the Styrofoam and it will get a burned type effect,
    the best would be use a enamel or gloss oil based paint one you would use turpentine or aguaraas to thin it with then once dry paint over it with regular acrylic paint if it is to have a matt or semi gloss finish
    hope this helps

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Or try an elastomerico roof primer. It's very thick. Water based. And then an acylic paint. Lanco has a good brand. Used it to prime bare wood, metal, concrete. But you have a challenge!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by No Place Like Home View Post
    Had to paint some that joins the wall to the ceiling. I thought of a primer
    but then thought our builder was so cheap he probably only used regular
    paint. I painted it and on the third pass with the brush it started to come off.
    I thought I would let it dry and see what happens. Well its all falling off. So I
    need to prime it with something. Any ideas? I looked on the web buy I need
    a solution here in the DR. thanks
    Try covering the styrofoam with some type of contact paper first and then paint the contact paper. Another idea. What is behind the styrofoam. Could you nail or screw anything into it that would cover it?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know which type of styrofoam you have, but 3m Blue Board will accept 2 part epoxy paints. Watch what you thin it with or you may chemiclly melt the styrofoam. We have blue board painted surrounding my fridge on my boat and that's what I used.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    I don't know which type of styrofoam you have, but 3m Blue Board will accept 2 part epoxy paints. Watch what you thin it with or you may chemiclly melt the styrofoam. We have blue board painted surrounding my fridge on my boat and that's what I used.
    You can rub the styrofoam with a cement - water solution; then paint with acrylic paint

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

op - you said ceiling so this is interior? An epoxy that cuts into foam might work, but assuming it's the blue board, and if you want a permanent and durable solution I would put a mesh over the foam, a thin coat of a cement stucco mixture and then paint. After that you won't have to deal with it again.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobo View Post
    You can rub the styrofoam with a cement - water solution; then paint with acrylic paint
    Cement?? Acrylic paint? Beats me.. I just know that you can lightly sand blue board with 220 grit and paint it successfully using two part epoxy based paint. I used Interlux paint. Take a small piece of the styrofoam and try out what you want to use before doing the job to insure what you are using won't melt it, and will stick to it when dry. 

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone for your suggestions. Keith the enamel did the trick thanks again. Might need to talk to you later. pool might be leaking again. ARGHHHHH

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Any shellac based primer sealer should work for you, i.e.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...rands/zinsser/