Another Horror Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That is an expensive lesson learned .. People who got NO business renting a Car, cause they are clueless, and especially NOT Driving at Night ..
People with 20 + years experience in the DR would not DARE make that drive at night.. WT* were they thinking ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is an expensive lesson learned .. People who got NO business renting a Car, cause they are clueless, and especially NOT Driving at Night ..
People with 20 + years experience in the DR would not DARE make that drive at night.. WT* were they thinking ?

my question, exactly. they look to me like some hayseeds who are not exactly world travellers, and who have no idea how to function outside of Boise. i mean, why would they want to be on some rural road at 10 pm, on their first night in a new country...

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
For sure these bumpkins didn't realize they weren't in Kansas anymore, however it's still bad press and I think that's the point.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For sure these bumpkins didn't realize they weren't in Kansas anymore, however it's still bad press and I think that's the point.

well, you might be surprised. just like jd426, yourself, and i think it was a nutty idea, a lot of people in their hometown are asking the same question about WTF were they thinking. they might even be saying that they are lucky to be alive.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
my question, exactly. they look to me like some hayseeds who are not exactly world travellers, and who have no idea how to function outside of Boise. i mean, why would they want to be on some rural road at 10 pm, on their first night in a new country...

On this , we agree 100% , no argument from me here ..they had no business renting that car . and then driving at night ?
Holy smokes ,they did ZERO Homework .. . .

They look like they would be easy marks in south Philly.

The Griswold Family in South Philly , on a Summer Friday night, lost, with a Flat tire, and a Fold out MAP on the Hood of the Family Woody station wagon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
On this , we agree 100% , no argument from me here ..they had no business renting that car . and then driving at night ?
Holy smokes ,they did ZERO Homework .. . .

The Griswold Family in South Philly , on a Summer Friday night, lost, with a Flat tire, and a Fold out MAP on the Hood of the Family Woody station wagon.

actually, think of this family with a flat tire, out in the middle of cow country somewhere. it could go downhill, real fast.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

...The Griswold Family in South Philly , on a Summer Friday night, lost, with a Flat tire, and a Fold out MAP on the Hood of the Family Woody station wagon.

actually, think of this family with a flat tire, out in the middle of cow country somewhere. it could go downhill, real fast.

About sums it up........... LOL

Nothing with their trip makes the least bit of sense, almost as if they were just looking for their 15 minutes of fame. They pay a lawyer on Monday but US Embassy rescues them on Tuesday? Something is fishy.

BTW where has the grammar police gone as there was constant reference to "The Dominican".

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
About sums it up........... LOL

Nothing with their trip makes the least bit of sense, almost as if they were just looking for their 15 minutes of fame. They pay a lawyer on Monday but US Embassy rescues them on Tuesday? Something is fishy.

BTW where has the grammar police gone as there was constant reference to "The Dominican".

the reporters are just as much bumpkins as the hicks who tried to pull off this dumb stunt.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
"stunt" is a very accurate Description of what they did ... with No helmets ..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A lot of tourists fly off on vacation without doing the prerequisite research. A few years ago, a bunch of Canadians took off for Mexico directly into the path of an approaching hurricane and then were upset that the airline wouldn't or couldn't evacuate them until after the storm. Had they followed the news, they would have known about the storm long before they left home.

Many approach international travel from the perspective and the often mistaken belief that where they are going is just like where they are coming from. Not everyone thinks of coming to DR1 and asking if a drive at night from PUJ to POP is a good idea. But entering "driving in the Dominican Republic" into google maybe would have given them cause to reconsider.

I'm all for saving money but at what potential personal cost. I wonder how they might have fared had they made it to the Navarette /Imbert part of the trip in the dark and suddenly discovered portions of the road missing? 5 hours from PUJ to Lifestyles, me thinks they looked at google maps and believed what they where shown; Nice highways, sparse traffic, and no appreciation for that big traffic nightmare known as Santo Domingo right in the middle of their route. Talk about trial by fire. 

I have empathy for this family. Not the first time something like this has happened and probably not the last. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A lot of tourists fly off on vacation without doing the prerequisite research. A few years ago, a bunch of Canadians took off for Mexico directly into the path of an approaching hurricane and then were upset that the airline wouldn't or couldn't evacuate them until after the storm. Had they followed the news, they would have known about the storm long before they left home.

Many approach international travel from the perspective and the often mistaken belief that where they are going is just like where they are coming from. Not everyone thinks of coming to DR1 and asking if a drive at night from PUJ to POP is a good idea. But entering "driving in the Dominican Republic" into google maybe would have given them cause to reconsider.

I'm all for saving money but at what potential personal cost. I wonder how they might have fared had they made it to the Navarette /Imbert part of the trip in the dark and suddenly discovered portions of the road missing? 5 hours from PUJ to Lifestyles, me thinks they looked at google maps and believed what they where shown; Nice highways, sparse traffic, and no appreciation for that big traffic nightmare known as Santo Domingo right in the middle of their route. Talk about trial by fire. 

I have empathy for this family. Not the first time something like this has happened and probably not the last. 

i sympathize with these people. empathy is a different matter. empathy suggests that you can feel for somebody, based on what you would feel for yourself, in similar circumstances. since i would never be in similar circumstances, i will just sympathize.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Wish they would say which Dominican stinkhole town was involved...must be on the main highway.
Another reason I dont drive here, only taxis.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Wow really surprised they did not stay at Punta Cana resort. Why would they rent a car and try to drive 5 hours? They should have found DR1 before they booked.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
It wasn't Boise, it was Waconia. C'mon now.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Flying into PUJ for a Puerto Plata vacation was the first mistake.

Many people only look at airline flights, prices, the DR on a map, and believe it's just like where they came from. "Hey, look, we can fly here on the cheap, and then grab a rental car. That's only about a 2 hour drive. We can do that." No, I don't agree with the statement, and have warned people, but I have heard it hundreds of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.