Age Limit on transport vehicles

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/nueva-...ansporte-y-dice-adios-a-los-vehiculos-viejos/
OK this is a great idea - IF the DR enforces it.
Because maintenance is seldom done on vehicles in DR unless it is under Fat Tony's banana tree alongside a bucket of cerveza and a propped-up domino table, you can expect most taxis, moto conchos and mini-guaguas to be one bracket or bearing failure away from a fatality.
But the big question is : Will the PN start seizing motorcycles over 10 years from moto concho riders ? The Magic 8-Ball says "Not Likely"

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
age limit ?? I have seen tractor trailers here driven around regularly that would get you thrown in jail on the Jersey turnpike. Same with buses.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It would be nice to see some sort of roadworthiness standards applied here, but can't see it happening.  Perhaps they could address the obvious issues first, like the conditions of the roads.

Last edited by a moderator:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well we had the  revista the year before last.
Somehow it went missing last year. 
And hadnt been found this year either.

Mind you,,it was a joke.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The Unions will thumb their noses.

The unions are probably in on it...less passengers per car means more cars, and old cars removed means import of newer cars. I see many Hyundai i20 lately being used as public cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the union leaders are getting rich because of the new law.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I feel much safer now that I know the qua-gua I will ride will not be over 20 years old. :)
Bob K

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The unions are probably in on it...less passengers per car means more cars, and old cars removed means import of newer cars. I see many Hyundai i20 lately being used as public cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the union leaders are getting rich because of the new law.

that would be the N20. they are being used because they are bigger and more comfy than a Corolla, are way cheaper, and are made with propane systems..

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I have never seen or heard of any safety inspections done here. Emissions, weight or air brakes. That's one of the reasons the roads are do bad. A tractor trailer can be loaded to 90 thousand pounds and go anywhere.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominicans call it estufa, because of the gas system. my BIL had one. pathetically tiny boot space. i am told the newer ones have a better setup and more room. perfect carro publico, tho.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The Hyundai N20 . Are those the bright orange ones that seem to be increasing in numbers? Supposedly they are ex Korean taxis.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Years ago... about 20? I don't remember but you can still see many of the taxis in that light beige color around.

As I remember, the Gov. made it mandatory that all taxis' be new and of that specific color. It kinda worked for independents and they complied.

But the Dominican Owners had different ideas specifically for Their union operators they did not comply at all. Same gau-gau's and trucks are still running that were a mess 20 years ago but still as best they can without brakes or lights and packed full beyond load and no one can stop them.

I believe that the gasoline/diesel tax that benefited these union members has been lifted and some problems have come up with that with fair prices rising as fuel prices are rising for us all. Add the current road conditions and that adds fuel to the transportation fire. Trucks and public transportation not willing to follow traffic rules and blocking streets while protesting leaving those that depend on them stranded and missing a day or more of work.

Hard to tell what the average working Dominican thinks since they are very much between... getting to work or not for a much needed days pay.

But it very obvious that too many fingers are grabbing what they can while the cost to the public in pesos, transport quality/safty and lives are NOT very high on the Gov. nor the Unions lists.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Hyundai N20 . Are those the bright orange ones that seem to be increasing in numbers? Supposedly they are ex Korean taxis.

they are all ex taxis or rental cars. the bright orange ones just started coming in recently. before the last year or so, they were only available in regular colors, not that retina warping orange.