Scotia Bank Cabarete

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
There seems to be a lot of people on my FB groups talking about having their debit cards scammed in Cabarete.
We had a problem once a few years ago and it took some time but it was eventually resolved.
We keep a close eye on our transactions and accounts and have alerts set up also.
Anyone else having trouble or is this a random hit and miss?

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
I wet to the Scotia Bank in Cabarete on Friday evening at 6:30 pm . I withdrew $10.000 Pesos . Got home after dineer to discover another $ 10.000 had been taken . Whith my transaction , as usual the withdrawl of $5.00 ATM fee . The second transaction took out a $ 3.00 fee .

I went to Scoatia Bank 1st thing Saturday morning and the Desk woman there , just kept waving her hand at me smugly , telling me to call my bank . I TRIED and RTEID to tell her that something is wrong at the ATM , a card skimmer perhaps . To no avail .

I went outside and called my bank ( ****ED ! ) My bank TD calmed me. They told me they already had loss prevention on it . That a second transaction was tried and denied after they got away with the 1st. They also told me they would cover the obvious fraud .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good to know....

As I repeatedly say, This sh!t happens in the tourist areas.
Never hear of it at the Nagua ScotiaBank.

And , I'll wager BanReservas , Progreso, et al have fewer (if any) of such scams - being local, not international banks

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
My Scotiabank atm card was canceled Feb . 9th  for suspected compromise . Nothing taken or out of the ordinary. I haven't  been  to Cabarete  Scotiabank  in at least 6 weeks. So I suspect a security  breach at DR Scotiabank  head office. Now waiting for new card to be sent.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
As i posted on the other thread, THERE IS NO NEED TO USE ATMs

Go into bank with card and passport and ask the teller to withdraw money from card.
It is safe, free and you can withdraw much more (your banks daily limit which is 40,000 for me)

Every year these stories return. One year its Scotia, the next BHD etc etc

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013

Go into bank with card and passport and ask the teller to withdraw money from card.
It is safe, free and you can withdraw much more (your banks daily limit which is 40,000 for me)

You cannot use your non-Dominican ATM/Debit Card inside the bank (at least at Scotiabank). Credit card - si. Canadian or American or European or whatever ATM/Debit card - no

Last edited:

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005

This has been mentioned a few times before, I always wonder is it really safer going inside the bank, you really need to trust just about everyone that works there (even future workers), because they take a copy of your card and your passport (and keep it, not sure for how long... !), they could well take the number at the back of the card, the one called CVV. Now with this information anyone with half the brain can go on shopping spree on the internet at their heart's content using your card, even if questioned they got your passport details to reply to a back office query - do they ask for your home address (!?), because that would be even better...

So, although using ATM is risky in DR, I am not sure about going into the bank either.... !?

BTW, I think most of the hacking is done in the DR clearing center, where the bad guys managed to get a job and have access to all the transactions - it is not always skimmers or hacking at the local ATM machine itself.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
This has been mentioned a few times before, I always wonder is it really safer going inside the bank, you really need to trust just about everyone that works there (even future workers), because they take a copy of your card and your passport (and keep it, not sure for how long... !), they could well take the number at the back of the card, the one called CVV. Now with this information anyone with half the brain can go on shopping spree on the internet at their heart's content using your card, even if questioned they got your passport details to reply to a back office query - do they ask for your home address (!?), because that would be even better...

So, although using ATM is risky in DR, I am not sure about going into the bank either.... !?

BTW, I think most of the hacking is done in the DR clearing center, where the bad guys managed to get a job and have access to all the transactions - it is not always skimmers or hacking at the local ATM machine itself.

They do not copy your card, certainly not in popular. They do not copy the numbers even. They put it in a reader like you get in a store and you enter your pin. The card does not leave my sight.
Been doing it for years, never a problem

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

As I understand it , it is rarely at the location where you use the card, but rather at the clearing center where the theft occurs. Why going inside the bank would reduce the risk is not something I understand.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You cannot use your non-Dominican ATM/Debit Card inside the bank (at least at Scotiabank). Credit card - si. Canadian or American or European or whatever ATM/Debit card - no

I have been told in Banco Popular that I cannot use my ATM card inside, but some seem to have no problem doing so. Perhaps they are using it as a credit card and getting a cash advance when inside?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I have been told in Banco Popular that I cannot use my ATM card inside, but some seem to have no problem doing so. Perhaps they are using it as a credit card and getting a cash advance when inside?
Using a CREDIT card, yes they can... But the banks here in the DR don't have/can't access the systems for our banks in North America or Europe...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Using a CREDIT card, yes they can... But the banks here in the DR don't have/can't access the systems for our banks in North America or Europe...

That was my understanding. Using a CREDIT card option inside the bank incurs the charges of a cash advance from the user's bank in their home country. Which can be substantial.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correcto, cash advance using a credit card and charges start immediately.

Answer is to pay down the cash advance as fast as you can.
A cash advance is an expensive loan.......... go straight home and pay it off
Cheaper than the ATM fee if do that, I bet

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I wet to the Scotia Bank in Cabarete on Friday evening at 6:30 pm . I withdrew $10.000 Pesos . Got home after dineer to discover another $ 10.000 had been taken . Whith my transaction , as usual the withdrawl of $5.00 ATM fee . The second transaction took out a $ 3.00 fee .

I went to Scoatia Bank 1st thing Saturday morning and the Desk woman there , just kept waving her hand at me smugly , telling me to call my bank . I TRIED and RTEID to tell her that something is wrong at the ATM , a card skimmer perhaps . To no avail .

I went outside and called my bank ( ****ED ! ) My bank TD calmed me. They told me they already had loss prevention on it . That a second transaction was tried and denied after they got away with the 1st. They also told me they would cover the obvious fraud .

If you are here frequently why don't you get an account at ScotiaBank Canada, which you use for your travels here.
No ATM fees at Scotiabank and if there ever is a fraudulent withdrawal never any problem to have it covered by your Canadian bank.
And you get a free seniors account in Canada.

Last edited:

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I've made a few withdrawals at the Cabarete branch this month, 3 with a Canadian Scotiabank card and 1 with a TD card just to see the difference. Got dinged for the $200 RD fee with the TD card, none from TD itself, but I think they refund the 200 pesos to me at the end of the month with the account I have. No fees at all with the Scotiabank card.
I monitor my accounts online daily and so far, so good. I make sure to have limits on what can be taken from my card on a daily and on a weekly basis so that also affords a little protection. As well, I have separate debit cards I use only for travel and they are attached to a single account. I don't leave very much in the travel account beyond the minimum amount required for no fees. The travel debit cards are also set up for ATM withdrawals only and will not work in stores. I just email money between banks as needed to add more funds. It's easy, only $1 to transfer funds and I get peace of mind knowing that my regular bank accounts can't be affected even if my card is compromised. I don't bother with other bank ATMs when traveling, just use the Global Alliance banks that Scotiabank is part of. I haven't had any problems this way in any of the countries I've been to.

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
Unfortunatley , No bank will let you withdraw money from an ATM CARD , even with a passport . You MUST use the ATM . Credit card ? Different .