Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Banco Popular and foreign ATM card withdrawals

My UK Lloyds debit card hasn't worked in any BP ATM's for over a year now.  I think it is because it has a chip in it.  I insert my card, enter pin, select the transaction I want which is a credit card withdrawal even though it's a debit card.  I accept the 150dop fee and the machine hangs for a while and spits out my card saying that the transaction cannot be completed at this time.

Is anyone else having the same experiences?

My card works in Scotia, Reservas, BHD, Santa Cruz and Progreso machines.

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you monitor your account balance through other means, just to make sure that the transaction is not being processed without your knowledge. Contact UK Lloyd's customer service, and be guided by their advice. It could be something simple, it could be something else. I am a very harsh critic of ATM's in the Dominican Republic, with reason. It's your money, keep it safe. Good luck.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't ever had a problem with my Scotiabank (Canadian) card in Banco Popular in Sosua, unless its during Semana Santa when they are chronically empty...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You are far better not using the ATMs in this country.
    Go into bank with card and passport and the teller can give you money from your card. No fee , completely safe (unlike atms!) and a much higher amount can be taken

5. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, exact same problem. Using a Barclays Visa Debit card, tried Popular Bank, Santa Cruz and Leon. I called the security department, they said no transactions had been made. It will work on Amazon etc though.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    My UK Lloyds debit card hasn't worked in any BP ATM's for over a year now.  I think it is because it has a chip in it.  I insert my card, enter pin, select the transaction I want which is a credit card withdrawal even though it's a debit card.  I accept the 150dop fee and the machine hangs for a while and spits out my card saying that the transaction cannot be completed at this time.

Yea. The problem isnt the card but the antiquated software on the Dominican servers.

I used to, for years, ONLY use CIBAO Prestamos y Ahorros ATMs then like last year they stopped working with my card. Then I started using Banco Progreso because their were usually within walking distance of the Cibao branches. To failsafe for me has always been Banco BHD, since they have their US headquarters in Upper Manhattan they always are current with US banking requirements, even for international ATMs. The only time I get rejected from a Banco BHD or Progreso is because the ATM doesnt have any "real" money in it. I go to withdraw 12,000 pesos and the whole machine has 1700 pesos in it to last the whole weekend.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Banco Popular ATM's no longer accept European credit/debit cards.....too many write back's for fraudulent transactions.......they will accept them at the counter with a passport verification though they do ask if you are a customer.

9. Likes Uzin liked this post
    Dislikes southern disliked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I withdrew 3 times from the Banco Popular in
    Sosua. No problem. I actually received a great rate.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jinty05 View Post
    Banco Popular ATM's no longer accept European credit/debit cards.....too many write back's for fraudulent transactions.......they will accept them at the counter with a passport verification though they do ask if you are a customer.

That's what I thought.  So what is the logic in installing a Banco Popular ATM at POP airport?  

Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question........Dominican logic is the answer!

The Reservas one at POP airport only gives you 2000 pesos at a time with a foreign/non Reservas card.

I love Dominicans!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

So what is the logic in installing a Banco Popular ATM at POP airport?  

Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question........

When I return to DR from any trip, the first thing I do is withdraw some cash for the taxi in the Banco Popular ATM in the arrival hall, since I am Banco Popular customer. And there are thousands of other people with Banco Popular cards. This is the logic. Who cares about European card holders? Try another ATM, some of them accept European cards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast