Banco Popular and foreign ATM card withdrawals

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My UK Lloyds debit card hasn't worked in any BP ATM's for over a year now.  I think it is because it has a chip in it.  I insert my card, enter pin, select the transaction I want which is a credit card withdrawal even though it's a debit card.  I accept the 150dop fee and the machine hangs for a while and spits out my card saying that the transaction cannot be completed at this time.

Is anyone else having the same experiences?

My card works in Scotia, Reservas, BHD, Santa Cruz and Progreso machines.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Make sure you monitor your account balance through other means, just to make sure that the transaction is not being processed without your knowledge. Contact UK Lloyd's customer service, and be guided by their advice. It could be something simple, it could be something else. I am a very harsh critic of ATM's in the Dominican Republic, with reason. It's your money, keep it safe. Good luck.

Jul 28, 2014
I haven't ever had a problem with my Scotiabank (Canadian) card in Banco Popular in Sosua, unless its during Semana Santa when they are chronically empty...

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
You are far better not using the ATMs in this country.
Go into bank with card and passport and the teller can give you money from your card. No fee , completely safe (unlike atms!) and a much higher amount can be taken

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Yes, exact same problem. Using a Barclays Visa Debit card, tried Popular Bank, Santa Cruz and Leon. I called the security department, they said no transactions had been made. It will work on Amazon etc though.

Apr 7, 2014
My UK Lloyds debit card hasn't worked in any BP ATM's for over a year now.  I think it is because it has a chip in it.  I insert my card, enter pin, select the transaction I want which is a credit card withdrawal even though it's a debit card.  I accept the 150dop fee and the machine hangs for a while and spits out my card saying that the transaction cannot be completed at this time.

Yea. The problem isnt the card but the antiquated software on the Dominican servers.

I used to, for years, ONLY use CIBAO Prestamos y Ahorros ATMs then like last year they stopped working with my card. Then I started using Banco Progreso because their were usually within walking distance of the Cibao branches. To failsafe for me has always been Banco BHD, since they have their US headquarters in Upper Manhattan they always are current with US banking requirements, even for international ATMs. The only time I get rejected from a Banco BHD or Progreso is because the ATM doesnt have any "real" money in it. I go to withdraw 12,000 pesos and the whole machine has 1700 pesos in it to last the whole weekend.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Banco Popular ATM's no longer accept European credit/debit cards.....too many write back's for fraudulent transactions.......they will accept them at the counter with a passport verification though they do ask if you are a customer.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I withdrew 3 times from the Banco Popular in
Sosua. No problem. I actually received a great rate.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Banco Popular ATM's no longer accept European credit/debit cards.....too many write back's for fraudulent transactions.......they will accept them at the counter with a passport verification though they do ask if you are a customer.

That's what I thought.  So what is the logic in installing a Banco Popular ATM at POP airport?  

Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question........Dominican logic is the answer!

The Reservas one at POP airport only gives you 2000 pesos at a time with a foreign/non Reservas card.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
So what is the logic in installing a Banco Popular ATM at POP airport?  

Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question........

When I return to DR from any trip, the first thing I do is withdraw some cash for the taxi in the Banco Popular ATM in the arrival hall, since I am Banco Popular customer. And there are thousands of other people with Banco Popular cards. This is the logic. Who cares about European card holders? Try another ATM, some of them accept European cards.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
When I return to DR from any trip, the first thing I do is withdraw some cash for the taxi in the Banco Popular ATM in the arrival hall, since I am Banco Popular customer. And there are thousands of other people with Banco Popular cards. This is the logic. Who cares about European card holders? Try another ATM, some of them accept European cards.

And there are hundreds of thousands that pass through POP airport that are not Banco Popular customers and their cards don't work.  There is only one other choice, the BanReservas ATM and it only dispenses 2,000 pesos at a time.

Who cares about European card holders?  Nice reply...................

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
And there are hundreds of thousands that pass through POP airport that are not Banco Popular customers and their cards don't work.  There is only one other choice, the BanReservas ATM and it only dispenses 2,000 pesos at a time.

Agreed.

sddr take a chill pill. Thanks

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016

I mean who in Banco Popular cares about European card holders? They install their ATMs in malls, airports and other places where THEIR customers need it. Because who wants to open an account in a bank that doesn't have ATMs in all those places where you need cash and want to withdraw it from your account without any commission? This is why they install ATMs here and there.

As it was mentioned in another post, withdrawals from European cards bring more headache than profit, because of cloned/stolen cards... So for them it's easier to just block all European cards and don't have those problems at all. They (Banco Popular) care about their business only. Sad but true.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

I withdrew 20k with a prepaid swiss bank card at banco popular near the roundabout in POP, last week, at the ATM

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I withdrew 20k with a prepaid swiss bank card at banco popular near the roundabout in POP, last week, at the ATM

Mmm,h cant remember, maybe i had to do it in 2 times 10k...... anyhow, it worked

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
sddr is 100% correct, and had a great followup explaining why. Banco Popular is ­the DR's biggest private bank in terms of assets. It's unfortunate, and inconvenient that some potential users (not all) are having problems with their ATM's, but it's also not the end of the world either. Not everybody stepping off a plane in Puerto Plata is from Europe. I happen to get a lousy rate from BP ATM's when I break my own rules and use them, but I don't get mad at them. I get mad at myself for using them, and find another. Life isn't that difficult.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
You are far better not using the ATMs in this country.
Go into bank with card and passport and the teller can give you money from your card. No fee , completely safe (unlike atms!) and a much higher amount can be taken
Other advantages are that you can ask for a selection of small bills and coins to be included and that you can tuck your money away discreetly in relative privacy compared with the street.