Shipping mail/packages to the DR

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
Howdy folks,

So I search a bit and not sure I found my answer. Shortly I will be in the Dominican Republic for about 3 months to start. I am now looking for ways to ship my collected mail from the US to myself in the DR. It will mostly be letters but occasionally I may buy stuff and need to forward smell to medium boxes/packages also.

It seems my options are services where I sign up for a monthly service that provides me a PO in Miami that then forwards things to an office in Santo Domingo.

Am I correct there, any advice on which to use for light, twice a month mailings or does is make no sense and I just use USPO or UPS or something.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think you get it....

you're on the right track..... watch the weight of the deliveries....that's what the charge is calculated from

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
So cost efficient wise, I should sign up for a monthly pay PO mail forwarding as apposed to just using the big 3 US based couriers you saying?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I use CPS, they send you an email when something arrives in Miami, it arrives in Santo Domingo the next day, you can pay online and they deliver it to your door the day after. So, basically, two days after delivery to Miami it is delivered to you. If you are shopping you can buy anything under US$200 and have it delivered with no customs duty to pay, so it is useful for all the things you realise that you forgot to bring and realise you cannot buy in DR.

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
Very cool, about how much on average is the monthly subscription fee for these services?

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
So I went with EPS been about two weeks, I received a couple things OK then they lost an important letter- well they say its not lost, from my bad Spanish comprehension- they say "letters just take a really long time".

Thing that annoys me, I received two packages and can't make sense of the price structure so I ask for receipts, there is a receipt printer after all but the they just look at my as if I'm crazy. This appears to be a trend, ha, I constantly am asking for receipts and get a WTF look.

Seems like its 200/p per lb based on my two experiences so far.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
So I went with EPS been about two weeks, I received a couple things OK then they lost an important letter- well they say its not lost, from my bad Spanish comprehension- they say "letters just take a really long time".

Thing that annoys me, I received two packages and can't make sense of the price structure so I ask for receipts, there is a receipt printer after all but the they just look at my as if I'm crazy. This appears to be a trend, ha, I constantly am asking for receipts and get a WTF look.

Seems like its 200/p per lb based on my two experiences so far.

200 sounds about right. Some companies will accumulate envelopes and send them down in bulk without entering them in the system. So basically you have to check back every few days to see if it's arrived. Could be different with them but the 3 companies I've done business with in the past 15 years have worked that way.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
At BMCargo in Santiago, you open the package and check it out BEFORE YOU PAY.

BMCargo then gives you a receipt for you to sign and your copy with details of the charges.

My experiences at EPS in Santiago is that you pay for the package...
... BEFORE they even bring it out to you.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
EPS is excellent for packages, though the price is about 280 rd per lb. But I would not use them for regular mail. Big delay on mail.

newViews

Feb 14, 2017
So I'm learning.

So for I've received 2 packages with zero problems, the site worked great in notifying me, each time took about 2-3 days to get from the States to my hands. To @SantiagoDR's comment, they give me the package to inspect prior paying.

The cons however- both times I asked for a receipt and never got one and now my letter, first time trying to receive one, was delivered to them about a week ago but no indication on the site, nothing at my local office and support... non existent.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
EPS is really slow with mail delivered to the P.O Box address and you have to check frequently with the local pickup office as they will not notify you that a letter has arrived. If you need a letter or replacement credit cards fast, address them to the package address. You'll pay more, but you'll see the letter in the system from the time it is delivered to Miami and it will get here as quickly as a box.

As for receipts, I get one with every package here in Sosua.