Sosua and the "Tuk-Tuk"

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
They have Tuk Tuk's (I've only heard them referred to like this in Thailand) in Mao and a few in Navarrete. I think Mao they called them something like mariposas (butterflies in English)?
I wouldn't over rate their safety but safer than a motor concho, absolutely.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
They can be extremely unsafe if the weight isn't balanced adequately. I rode on one before when I was in Bangkok, Thailand.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Folks like motoconchos because they're cheap and go from point A to point B much faster than a public car.

These vehicles are neither cheaper or faster (although their fare may compete with motoconchos because motoconchos are ridiculously expensive) but they would be more comfortable.

Just the "take more time from A to B" factor makes me think they wouldn't be very popular.

Then again, it remains to be seen what effect the new transport laws will have on motoconcho use.

I've seen similar vehicles in Samana in the past (actually a motorcycle with a wheeled bench seat trailer) so maybe they could catch on.

I wonder who is the person who wants to import them?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Works for me!

There is a version of that in use all over the Philippines. Called a "trike" (from tricycle???) When it's raining, two people can ride in the sidecar (which has a hard roof, and zip up plastic windows) and stay much drier than walking with an umbrella (or FWIW on the back of a moto). Most of them also have a roof over the drivers head too.

I never seen one get in an accident, and I don't recall hearing /reading about any serious/fatal accidents in them? 
Not to say they don't occur, but the Trike seems much more stable than a motor and travels at a more reasonable speed.

I saw the article in Sousa news, and they asked "so what do you readers think about the idea?" But I didn't see any way to reply?
So let me cast my vote here. I'm in favor. 

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I can't see that a tuk tuk would be anymore dangerous than three or four people on a moto. Personally I absolutely hate noisy motos flying up and down the streets at break neck speeds.

If you want to see two tuk tuks, they're usually parked on David Stern just down from Martinez towards Casa Marina.

Wouldn't it be cool if there were no motos, just tuk tuks. The answer is a resounding yes.

Last edited:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Saw ones similiar in Havana.......only the driver in front was riding a bicycle........must be some gas saving plan, not horse power rated, man power rated??

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They have Tuk Tuk's (I've only heard them referred to like this in Thailand) in Mao and a few in Navarrete. I think Mao they called them something like mariposas (butterflies in English)?
I wouldn't over rate their safety but safer than a motor concho, absolutely.

they have a bunch of them in Samana. they are called tuk tuks in some caribbean territories, and in Guyana..

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
They had this here in Puerto Plata 1 or 2 years ago. 30 pesos from la sirena to your home. They are gone now because they became to popular and the motoconjo-maffia didn't want this. Won't happen if they don't do anything to that motoconjo-mob

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Tuk,Tuk ryhmes with bad luck..... There once was girl from Sosua who said for 500 pesos she'd do ya. I took a tuk, tuk to go get a ___ but it overturned so I'll sue ya. What can I say, too much cafeine.