Extending/Renewing Tourist Card

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ok then back to normal, no sweating. Carry ID, no problem, have return ticket, no problem. Pay overstay at airport, no problem. Over and out. Not planning to live or work here.

But always keep this in mind:

Under laws 199-67 and 285-05, a tourist card allows non-Dominicans (or "aliens" in American legal parlance) entry into the Dominican Republic, for 30 days, for the purpose of “rest, relaxation, rest or entertainment,” on condition that they have the funds required for those activities.

Legally, the tourist who wishes to stay for more than 30 days must obtain an extension from the Immigration Department. Without the extension, any tourist that overstays the 30-day period is an illegal alien subject to deportation under Article 121-3 of Law 285-05.

The penalty for overstaying is an administrative aberration that cannot and does not amend or affect the letter of the law.
Fabio J. Guzman
Guzman Ariza
Attorneys-at-Law
Sosua, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macoris, Cabrera
Las Terrenas, Samana, Bavaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
Dominican Republic

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
But always keep this in mind:

Under laws 199-67 and 285-05, a tourist card allows non-Dominicans (or "aliens" in American legal parlance) entry into the Dominican Republic, for 30 days, for the purpose of “rest, relaxation, rest or entertainment,” on condition that they have the funds required for those activities.

Legally, the tourist who wishes to stay for more than 30 days must obtain an extension from the Immigration Department. Without the extension, any tourist that overstays the 30-day period is an illegal alien subject to deportation under Article 121-3 of Law 285-05.

The penalty for overstaying is an administrative aberration that cannot and does not amend or affect the letter of the law.
Fabio J. Guzman
Guzman Ariza
Attorneys-at-Law
Sosua, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macoris, Cabrera
Las Terrenas, Samana, Bavaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
Dominican Republic

Fantastic and as soon as you hear which immigration office I can get an extension please let me know.

Thank you

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Fantastic and as soon as you hear which immigration office I can get an extension please let me know.

Thank you
You apply online at www.migracion.gob.do and can request up to 11 month (showing proof of travel, subject to approval). Detail is, at the moment you can only deposit in Santo Domingo. Supposedly you'll soon be able to deposit in Punta Cana, Puerto Plata and Santiago when they finish rolling out the software, therefore finally connecting those offices to HQ.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
You apply online at www.migracion.gob.do and can request up to 11 month (showing proof of travel, subject to approval). Detail is, at the moment you can only deposit in Santo Domingo. Supposedly you'll soon be able to deposit in Punta Cana, Puerto Plata and Santiago when they finish rolling out the software, therefore finally connecting those offices to HQ.

Did you see what hoops they want an applicant to jump to extend their stay online? Seems like a non-starter.

REQUIREMENTS FOR STAY AND EXTENSION OF STAY
Article 40 of law 285-04 on migration and article 81 of Regulation 631-11 of law enforcement.

Tourist

A) Form duly completed and signed.

B) Passport with minimum validity of six (6) months from the extension.

C) Two copies of the passport personal data pages.

D) Two copies of the last entry stamp into the country.

E) Medical certificate issued by an authorized doctor with due exequatur.

F) Payment.

Seems pretty easy except for requirement (E)... So, if I want to extend my stay, lets say ten days, I need to obtain a medical exam/certification from one of their medical officers? Excessive for a short-term tourist. Maybe ok for those so-called "resident tourists".

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Did you see what hoops they want an applicant to jump to extend their stay online? Seems like a non-starter.

REQUIREMENTS FOR STAY AND EXTENSION OF STAY
Article 40 of law 285-04 on migration and article 81 of Regulation 631-11 of law enforcement.

Tourist

A) Form duly completed and signed.

B) Passport with minimum validity of six (6) months from the extension.

C) Two copies of the passport personal data pages.

D) Two copies of the last entry stamp into the country.

E) Medical certificate issued by an authorized doctor with due exequatur.

F) Payment.

Seems pretty easy except for requirement (E)... So, if I want to extend my stay, lets say ten days, I need to obtain a medical exam/certification from one of their medical officers? Excessive for a short-term tourist. Maybe ok for those so-called "re
sident tourists".

Cuba requires you to buy medical insurance from them. The above list doesn't seem excessive for anyone in excess of 30 days. The biggest issue would be having to do it all in Santo Domingo.

Buying medical insurance at the arrivals hall in Cuba is a good thing, however, it is NOT the same as needing a medical exam to extend a tourist card in the Dominican Republic.

So if I am planning to stay 45 days lets say in Samana, I have to apply for an extension online- on the 31st day, and proceed to Santo Domingo to be examined by their doctors, i.e. labs, x-ray, drug test, etc. and wait for a couple of weeks for the results to come back I say it's excessive unless the extender is a "long-term resident" tourist.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Buying medical insurance at the arrivals hall in Cuba is a good thing, however, it is NOT the same as needing a medical exam to extend a tourist card in the Dominican Republic.

So if I am planning to stay 45 days lets say in Samana, I have to apply for an extension online- on the 31st day, and proceed to Santo Domingo to be examined by their doctors, i.e. labs, x-ray, drug test, etc. and wait for a couple of weeks for the results to come back I say it's excessive unless the extender is a "long-term resident" tourist.

Does anyone know what the medical for this actually entails?  Same as for residency or modified?  Can it be do e a couple of weeks in advance of the extension request?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A simple physical! 

Okay.  Can it be done in advance, and if so, where?  

I will be the guinea pig, my 30 days is up next week, I know where the Passport/immigration office is in SD. 

To Posters:. This thread is only about renewing a Tourist Card. Nothing else please. 

Feb 7, 2007
I suppose You go to a local doctor who issues you a receta certificate saying that your health is all good. He must sign and stamp it with his Exq. Number printed on the stamp. If incorrect, please correct me. But this is what I assume it to be.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Okay.  Can it be done in advance, and if so, where?  

I will be the guinea pig, my 30 days is up next week, I know where the Passport/immigration office is in SD. 

To Posters:. This thread is only about renewing a Tourist Card. Nothing else please. 

Must be issued within the timeframe as the extension request.

Same health offices as the ones directed under the immigration process for residency. Unless noted under updated guidelines at SD office.

I was told regional offices will also be included in the extension program in a further notice, or as soon as they can get them linked to the realtime system. I think they must process vetting of authorized personnel at those locations before it happens. 

Again, to the best of my knowledge and after having requested guidance from main authority on this issue, the process has NOT changed as before. Like I posted in DR1, tourists MUST carry ID and proof of return on their person if requested by officials.

There hasn't been any new directive or notice posted as to any change in policy at DGM or ports as of this morning.

The payment of the exit tolls is not a permit onto itself, but a fine or penalty for having violated the terms of the tourist permit.

This action has been wrongly identified as a legal extension of the tourist card 30 days permit. It is NOT!
In legal terms any overstay beyond the time afforded under the tourist card, is illegal.

I asked for the change in policy from DGM official and she said that there hasn't been any.

They have, positively, issued extensions to tourists from DGM. She affirmed.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
@Pichardo:
I ask for clarification on these statements:
1. "Must be issued within the time frame as the extension request." Is this in regards to the medical exam? And if so, does that mean have you have to have your physical during the initial 30 days? Also, in regards to the medical, is there a specific form that the Immigration department issues that needs to be completed, or will doctors know.
2. "Same health offices as the ones directed under the immigration process for residency. Unless noted under updated guidelines at SD office." So it's necessary to first go to the immigration office and check which medical offices are approved to conduct the examination?
Also,
Does it remain true that this extension process cannot begin until the tourist has passed the 30 day mark...day 31?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I found this info regarding the laws you posted on another thread. It looks like the extension is limited to 60 days(?). Where do you see that you can extend for 11 months(?).

You have to go to Article 83 of 631-11 and, unless there is a new amended version, it looks like the maximum extension you can get is 60 days:

ARTÍCULO 83.- Para la aplicación del artículo 41 de la Ley, la D.G.M. recibirá y evaluará
toda solicitud de prórroga de permanencia que haga todo Extranjero siguiendo los parámetros
establecidos en presente Reglamento.
PÁRRAFO I.- El Extranjero admitido como No Residente que manifieste interés de prorrogar
el plazo de permanencia, debe dirigir su solicitud motivada a la D.G.M. sin que, en ningún caso,
pueda solicitarse más de una prórroga.
PÁRRAFO III.- La solicitud de prórroga debe estar acompañada de los siguientes documentos:
1. Para los Turistas:
a) Formulario de solicitud debidamente llenado;
b) Pasaporte con vigencia mínima de seis (6) meses a partir de la prorroga.
c) Boleto aéreo o marítimo de regreso;
d) Una dirección en la República Dominicana;
e) Certificado médico expedido por un medico autorizado con su debido exequátur;
f) Prueba de solvencia económica;
g) El pago de los derechos previstos.
En caso de ser aprobada la prórroga, la D.G.M. sólo podrá conceder una prórroga de
permanencia por sesenta (60) días. En caso de ser rechazada la solicitud, se procederá conforme
a lo que dispone la Ley y el presente Reglamento. Se exceptúan de esta disposición, los hijos de
dominicanos nacidos en el exterior.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Are you really serious. For a two week overstay, really don't bother. If you were going to plan on staying for 3-6 months it would be worth it but for two weeks you will not have a problem. Trust me, I play a immigration officer on TV.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay Pichardo et al:

This morning we went to immigration in La Feria. Went to the window and told the woman I needed to extend my tourist card.  She nodded and handed me a paper and said pay when you leave. It's below, just the overstay fines. I told her I wanted to pay in advance. She said that doesn't exist. 

I told her it's on their website, and she repeated it doesn't exist.  She asked me how long I've been here, and I said about 40 days, and that I'm leaving April 29th. She put on a horrified face and told me, "if you are stopped, you will be deported". 

So, how is YOUR day going??  

IMG_20170228_100442.jpg

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Kind of what I ran into with a fella in front of me at Las Americas last week. I posted it on another thread. Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to assist others here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Okay Pichardo et al:

This morning we went to immigration in La Feria. Went to the window and told the woman I needed to extend my tourist card.  She nodded and handed me a paper and said pay when you leave. It's below, just the overstay fines. I told her I wanted to pay in advance. She said that doesn't exist. 

I told her it's on their website, and she repeated it doesn't exist.  She asked me how long I've been here, and I said about 40 days, and that I'm leaving April 29th. She put on a horrified face and told me, "if you are stopped, you will be deported". 

View attachment 2582

People will think this is fake news.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was out with friends on Sunday and had my passport and return ticket home on me. I figure why would they spend this money to deport me when I have a ticket. Can't wait to get the hell out of here this year.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Okay Pichardo et al:

View attachment 2582

It's an oxy moron thing everyone is scratching their heads especially Immigration...