Looking to moving to DR - looking for actual rates and good companies

mikelowrey

Apr 24, 2016
Hello all,

I am considering moving back to DR, while searching for moving companies, I have come to notice that their price are way off each other, to the point that I believe they are just trying to rip me off. I would greatly appreciate if you can recommend someone or some company to do my move. Also I could definitely use someone you recommend to bring a vehicle (its a possibility, depending if the price is worth it).

Thank you again and looking forward to your help!

G.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are you a legal resident?  If not, apply for it in your home country. Once you get it, you're entitled to bring one car and your household goods in to DR.  Household duty free I believe, car at great discount. 

If you're already a legal resident, be prepared to pay a lot. 

mikelowrey

Apr 24, 2016
Are you a legal resident?  If not, apply for it in your home country. Once you get it, you're entitled to bring one car and your household goods in to DR.  Household duty free I believe, car at great discount. 

If you're already a legal resident, be prepared to pay a lot. 
Hi, Yes I am a citizen, I was born and raised in DR, came to US and now looking to go back, btw, what you mean by a great discount? I have a 2015 ford Explorer I would like to bring but I am considering the costs.

Thank you

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
Is it "worth it" to go through the apparent hassle of the process to bring in a vehicle...and possibly have to pay bribes or falsely inflated "taxes" to get your vehicle into the DR vs selling in your home country and purchasing here?

Do most people bother to bring their household goods? Again I'd think it much easier and not worth the cost and hassle with the exception of some electronics and possibly appliances.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
As a citizen you are also duty exempt if it's your first time using it and stayed abroad for more than 3 years.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi, Yes I am a citizen, I was born and raised in DR, came to US and now looking to go back, btw, what you mean by a great discount? I have a 2015 ford Explorer I would like to bring but I am considering the costs.

Thank you

Okay, even better. As a "Returning Dominican", you can bring a car and household goods at an even better discount. To qualify, in addition to never using having done this before (one time thing), you can't have spent over 6 months in DR during the last three years. Might be last two. 

We used a broker to handle everything on the DR side, was pretty smooth. I can get her contact info if you want it

mikelowrey

Apr 24, 2016
Is it "worth it" to go through the apparent hassle of the process to bring in a vehicle...and possibly have to pay bribes or falsely inflated "taxes" to get your vehicle into the DR vs selling in your home country and purchasing here?

Do most people bother to bring their household goods? Again I'd think it much easier and not worth the cost and hassle with the exception of some electronics and possibly appliances.

I would like to take the opportunity since i will be bringing appliances. I call DGI to find an estimate on things, but like the usual, they never know.

Okay, even better. As a "Returning Dominican", you can bring a car and household goods at an even better discount. To qualify, in addition to never using having done this before (one time thing), you can't have spent over 6 months in DR during the last three years. Might be last two. 

We used a broker to handle everything on the DR side, was pretty smooth. I can get her contact info if you want it

If you don't mind sharing that info, I would greatly appreciate it so I can talk with them. Also, about 5-6 years ago, I did bring an 2002 explorer with the "moving" option to be exempt, some people have told me that after 5 years I can do it again... Will this affect me now? or do I have to put it in my wife's name to take advantage of it? She's also a citizen.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I would like to take the opportunity since i will be bringing appliances. I call DGI to find an estimate on things, but like the usual, they never know.

If you don't mind sharing that info, I would greatly appreciate it so I can talk with them. Also, about 5-6 years ago, I did bring an 2002 explorer with the "moving" option to be exempt, some people have told me that after 5 years I can do it again... Will this affect me now? or do I have to put it in my wife's name to take advantage of it? She's also a citizen.

The person on the title has to have owned the car, in their name, for one year. I think it's once in lifetime thing

I will get back to you with her number. 

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
This isn't why Dr1 is such a valuable website. Mike, I can't offer you anything other than my endorsement of anything alter ego writes. 

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Bring all your stuff! We did. I brought my 2010 Ford Explorer and my whole house. Furniture is really expensive down there. If you are coming from NYC area, use Fatima shipping. They have an awesome customs agent. With all agencies it's hit and miss, but at least all my stuff down to the fork was there and not missing, door to door.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hispaniola Freight on the RD end. hispaniolafreight.com

I used Benchmark Export for the trip down. benchmarkexport.com

Like you, my prices ran from $13,000 to $4,000.

I had a US mover pack the container for the trip.....

mikelowrey

Apr 24, 2016
Bring all your stuff! We did. I brought my 2010 Ford Explorer and my whole house. Furniture is really expensive down there. If you are coming from NYC area, use Fatima shipping. They have an awesome customs agent. With all agencies it's hit and miss, but at least all my stuff down to the fork was there and not missing, door to door.

Hey thanks for the info!, one thing tho, I can't seem to find their phone number anywhere and their website is kaput.

If you happen to have it, I definitely appreciate it! thanks!

mikelowrey

Apr 24, 2016
Hispaniola Freight on the RD end. hispaniolafreight.com

I used Benchmark Export for the trip down. benchmarkexport.com

Like you, my prices ran from $13,000 to $4,000.

I had a US mover pack the container for the trip.....

Thank you, I will check them out.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had a 40' container - household effects and car.

Container comes to your house for 2hrs (free, charges if more time needed) to load then goes off.
Hispaniola cleared the incoming shipment at Caucedo.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Try Peter Kenedy 809-805-3606 I think the name of his company is something like Blue line or Blue freight. I haven't seen or spoken to him in a number of years but he has had the shipping company from before he moved here from the states about 25 years ago.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Hello all,

I am considering moving back to DR, while searching for moving companies, I have come to notice that their price are way off each other, to the point that I believe they are just trying to rip me off. I would greatly appreciate if you can recommend someone or some company to do my move. Also I could definitely use someone you recommend to bring a vehicle (its a possibility, depending if the price is worth it).

Thank you again and looking forward to your help!

G.

I am sorry that I cannot recommend a specific company but I can warn you to STAY CLEAR of Rosa Del Monte. Horrible service - they stole valuable furnishings from us and broke several items. What I suggest is that you obtain rates on a half or full container, load it yourself, lock it and ship it. Last time we did that we used BM Cargo for the half container and customs clearance - no issues, the container was delivered to our door and we unloaded it. Can't recall exact prices but Miami to SDQ may have run us about $2,500 all in. It was a tax free move back. Best of luck to you!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Shipping the contents of not one house but two, I used Embarque Bella Vista in NYC and was very pleased with their work and their pricing.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
When I did my move here..I sold most of my things in usa, Minnesota is to far to ship, cost is many times what most things are worth. Brought all electronics in my luggage, laptops, tvs, dvd players, phones, were new ,removed boxes , stickers, no problems. Furniture can be a problem, cost wise, I am in santiago, family knows a person that makes all furniture to your specs, just went to La Casita, took photos, and measurements...his cost was about one third. the car was same thing , got a two year old camry from mi girl friends cousin, hes in the import business, autos. ....appliances were the hard part. just let mi girl friend do the shopping. Dominican prices........any way in the end being creative paid off , most things in house are new............Doc..........