Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After 5 years. We are moving back.

It had been interesting 5 years and I had learned a lot. Looking at the rapid changes for Santiago in past 5 years, I have good feeling that this country will only go up and not down. Road improvements had been impressive (which is first step every developing country takes) also seeing the city of Santiago spreading like wild fire is exciting. But lack of a lot of things for us to live on (although it improved a lot for us Koreans) also pressures of my wife's not being a US citizen yet is paying us a tolls in our livelihood. All of us don't want my wife to lose her legal residence status in US and I can not afford to be separated with her and my son. Few weeks = yes, couple of months = possible, year+= no way. I don't think I can go through weeks when I leave for work at 6:45AM and come back home at 9:45PM and still have some sanity left with our neighbor's washing machine(aka Industrial Compressor) knocking noise wee hours of the night.

There will be whole lot of things I will be missing like culture, music, people and cheap AIs, also abundance of cheap labors that can do some heavy lifting, although I would had to adjust their works when it's done. And conveniences of ordering beer/rum/anything over the phone and get it delivered less then 5 minutes, also paying like $20+ for young kids to put groceries in our car (I always liked when young people hustle.)

I want to thank DR1 for most insightful information that I had gain during my stay. Those that are thinking/planning to move or take a trip are lucky to have such a healthy community and helpful people with vast information and knowledge of every day life in DR.

Now. Does anybody have shipping companies contact? I want to give them calls and check the rates. I will decide upon what to do with quotes on about 100-120 boxes of books, clothes and few others. 1 king size, 1 full size beds, 3 pcs of big size sofa, 1 desk, 6 shelves and few other things. No specific date is set yet but I know we will have several conversations of "Remember when we were back in DR?" for rest of our lives. Good or bad we will have laugh when we look back.

Thank you all!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

first mauricio and now you? DR is losing good people.

all the best for your future elsewhere. enjoy life and best of luck.

3. Likes Koreano liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish you the very best, Koreano. 

Don't become a stranger, stop in from time to time and say hello. 

Administrator
    DR1.com

5. Likes Koreano, Meemselle liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you Koreano, I hope you have a smooth move.

7. Likes Koreano liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Koreano,

I feel what you are saying. I am in a similar position and will be preparing to move my wife and kids from DR this year, permanently. Love the country but not enough opportunities for them to grow. Good luck with your move.

9. Likes Mauricio, sanpedrogringo, Koreano liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post

true, also wasn't that long ago mountainannie and frank recktenwald said adios rep dom.

Best of luck to you and your family Koreano.

11. Likes Koreano liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Koreano! Being in the middle of the process I can tell you it's not easy to say good bye, even for me (and  I think you like DR more than I do). 

On moving, in my case it's to Europe , I chose a Dutch company to handle our movement. If there are any issues I prefer to deal with a company in destination than being back there and having to deal with a Dominican company.

13. Likes Koreano liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post

I am not worried. Reading things from my breaks, there are still a lot of good people here. At least you along with many others are here to give good directions when they are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I wish you the very best, Koreano. 

Don't become a stranger, stop in from time to time and say hello. 
    You bet AE! I will continue to snooping around when I have time.
    We are going to go back to old/new home in NJ soon! I just can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    Good for you Koreano, I hope you have a smooth move.
    I foresee a bumpy ride. Even though we went back and forth once a year for few weeks, 5+ years are long time, we might need some time to adjust once again. I know for one thing that I got to start moving again, no more being lazy. I will miss fine day, when I used to pay $20RD to have colmado kid brings all 6 jugs into back.

Quote Originally Posted by cbmitch9 View Post
    Koreano,

I feel what you are saying. I am in a similar position and will be preparing to move my wife and kids from DR this year, permanently. Love the country but not enough opportunities for them to grow. Good luck with your move.
    Thanks cbmitch9, It's very difficult time for us. I feel excited to go back, yet I feel my job is not done. I really wanted to accomplish my mission of my son's ability to converse in three languages. I have Korean and English checked but Spanish is not complete yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    true, also wasn't that long ago mountainannie and frank recktenwald said adios rep dom.

Best of luck to you and your family Koreano.
    Thank you. Maybe it's time for new generation to chime in on things for DR. And it looks like there are plenty of newbs and I see several fresh meats. It will balance out somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Good luck Koreano! Being in the middle of the process I can tell you it's not easy to say good bye, even for me (and  I think you like DR more than I do). 

On moving, in my case it's to Europe , I chose a Dutch company to handle our movement. If there are any issues I prefer to deal with a company in destination than being back there and having to deal with a Dominican company.
    Thanks, so how is the transition? I hope everything's good!
    I am looking into this as I type this. I know things will be not cheap, but I would love to bring back non electronic and car back with us.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koreano View Post
    Thanks, so how is the transition? I hope everything's good!
    I am looking into this as I type this. I know things will be not cheap, but I would love to bring back non electronic and car back with us.

Well, I'm still here , in the process of getting used to the idea, organizing the move, getting quotes from moving companies (20' container incl packing, custom formalities on both ends and unpacking is about 6000 euros. That's about 28m3 of stuff.). It can be done for less, but these people do literally everything. The hardest part for me is loosening the ties: family, friends, church , work , even the simple things like bringing the boys to soccer twice a week, working on my phone from the bench in front of my house while the children are playing , I'll sure miss all that. However February is not a good month to evaluate living in DR, starting as early as April it will be too hot to play or work in the sun or even in the shadow. And that will last till November.

When are you leaving?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like thing are not doing well over there.

JJ

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast