MUDANZA/SHIPPING CAR

suspiro2

Aug 24, 2012
My Dominican husband (he has cedula) and I are planning to move to DR. I will be applying for residency and/or citizenship after moving there.

We went to the Dominican Embassy here in NY for information. One of my questions that I still feel dubious about was “I bought a 2015 Nissan over a year ago and the car in under my name. Can we ship our car with our household items and will there be an issue at aduanas when picking up our shipped items?” The response we got was that we would have no problems because we are legally married and just like our household items we will be able to ship and retrieve my car with our mudanza.

Does anyone on this forum have knowledge of or experience in this regard? While we’re married the car’s paperwork is in my name specifically and I’m wondering if I can ship it anyway, by virtue of our marriage.

Thank you for the generosity of your knowledge.

Jan 9, 2004
My Dominican husband (he has cedula) and I are planning to move to DR. I will be applying for residency and/or citizenship after moving there.

We went to the Dominican Embassy here in NY for information. One of my questions that I still feel dubious about was “I bought a 2015 Nissan over a year ago and the car in under my name. Can we ship our car with our household items and will there be an issue at aduanas when picking up our shipped items?” The response we got was that we would have no problems because we are legally married and just like our household items we will be able to ship and retrieve my car with our mudanza.

Does anyone on this forum have knowledge of or experience in this regard? While we’re married the car’s paperwork is in my name specifically and I’m wondering if I can ship it anyway, by virtue of our marriage.

Thank you for the generosity of your knowledge.

The pre-requisite to shipping a vehicle is the car must be free and clear of any liens/loans.

If you have a loan/lien outstanding.....it cannot be shipped.

After that pre-requisite has been satisfied, given your information provided here, there appears to be various ways to ship it and save some of the outrageous taxes the government charges.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

suspiro2

Aug 24, 2012
The pre-requisite to shipping a vehicle is the car must be free and clear of any liens/loans.

If you have a loan/lien outstanding.....it cannot be shipped.

After that pre-requisite has been satisfied, given your information provided here, there appears to be various ways to ship it and save some of the outrageous taxes the government charges.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

No outstanding loan or lien, title is my name, so hopefully it will not be a problem.

I would like to send a container with my belongs. It seems that finding a freight company that can handle both mudanza and car and that will take care of all the paperwork from A to Z is probably going to be a challenge. All the posts and information that I have read about container shipments are from a couple of years back. Has anyone on this forum made a full shipment recently. Does anyone have any recommendations on a freight shipping company that will come and pack, load and deliver, giving door to door service? Or best to get an agent in DR to handle clearance?

Jan 9, 2004
No outstanding loan or lien, title is my name, so hopefully it will not be a problem.

I would like to send a container with my belongs. It seems that finding a freight company that can handle both mudanza and car and that will take care of all the paperwork from A to Z is probably going to be a challenge. All the posts and information that I have read about container shipments are from a couple of years back. Has anyone on this forum made a full shipment recently. Does anyone have any recommendations on a freight shipping company that will come and pack, load and deliver, giving door to door service? Or best to get an agent in DR to handle clearance?

If you let the board know where you are now (you alluded you are in/near NYC), someone will make a recommendation. Lots of options if you are in/near the city. Be patient and wait for a reply.

You may well qualify for exemptions on household goods/contents/auto. Note that does not mean no tax/fees.....but reduced tax/fees. Start with selecting a recommended shipper and take it from there. They will likely have the most up to date info on the subject.....and it changes....often.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

suspiro2

Aug 24, 2012
If you let the board know where you are now (you alluded you are in/near NYC), someone will make a recommendation. Lots of options if you are in/near the city. Be patient and wait for a reply.

You may well qualify for exemptions on household goods/contents/auto. Note that does not mean no tax/fees.....but reduced tax/fees. Start with selecting a recommended shipper and take it from there. They will likely have the most up to date info on the subject.....and it changes....often.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

We are in The Bronx.

Thank you Playacaribe2!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
No title, no shippy

You are able to ship your car in an ocean container with your household goods. If you plan on door to door service you will load the household goods first and secure them. You can employ the use of a rollback type flatbed truck to elevate your car for loading into the container. Just make sure the car has been registered in your name for a year and you do have the title. No title, no shippy. The moving company will need to provide the title to US Customs for them to release the car for shipment.

You should make the shipping documents show you and your spouse's names as the shippers and receivers. Your name as part of the shipping and export documents and your name on the car title will make the Customs release easier with few or no questions.

Note: the car will be removed from the container at the Dominican port and placed in an impound yard and held there until you produce Dominican car insurance, matricula, and plates. The moving company should advise you about this.

You household goods will be removed at the port for Customs inspection the same time your car is removed. You should be there to observe the inspection and assist the officials. This is the time of most risk for theft of your goods. Bring as many eyes as possible to watch the unloading and reloading of the container for ultimate delivery to door.

Take pictures of before and after, especially take photos of the car in the impound area. Place the day's front page of one of the Dominican newspapers on the windshield as evidence of the day car placed there and photo the car. It will evidence the condition of the car on that day. If the Customs officials or workers object to the photos tell them your insurance company requires it and you are only taking photos of your property, period.

Regards, and good luck and welcome.

PJT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Please look into the fact that your name (and I presume NOT your husband's) is on the title. I say this because a couple of years ago we brought our car to DR. My husband filed as a returning Dominican. There was some concern that they might not allow the car in with the discounts, because my name was also on the title. In the end, they did let it process, because his name appeared first on our NJ title

suspiro2

Aug 24, 2012
Please look into the fact that your name (and I presume NOT your husband's) is on the title. I say this because a couple of years ago we brought our car to DR. My husband filed as a returning Dominican. There was some concern that they might not allow the car in with the discounts, because my name was also on the title. In the end, they did let it process, because his name appeared first on our NJ title

Yes, it's only my name on the car, but like you it is my husband who is the returning Dominican. If this is the route we are going to take then we will do as PJT suggested by putting both our names as shippers and receivers.

Thank you for the heads-up

suspiro2

Aug 24, 2012
You are able to ship your car in an ocean container with your household goods. If you plan on door to door service you will load the household goods first and secure them. You can employ the use of a rollback type flatbed truck to elevate your car for loading into the container. Just make sure the car has been registered in your name for a year and you do have the title. No title, no shippy. The moving company will need to provide the title to US Customs for them to release the car for shipment.

You should make the shipping documents show you and your spouse's names as the shippers and receivers. Your name as part of the shipping and export documents and your name on the car title will make the Customs release easier with few or no questions.

Note: the car will be removed from the container at the Dominican port and placed in an impound yard and held there until you produce Dominican car insurance, matricula, and plates. The moving company should advise you about this.

You household goods will be removed at the port for Customs inspection the same time your car is removed. You should be there to observe the inspection and assist the officials. This is the time of most risk for theft of your goods. Bring as many eyes as possible to watch the unloading and reloading of the container for ultimate delivery to door.

Take pictures of before and after, especially take photos of the car in the impound area. Place the day's front page of one of the Dominican newspapers on the windshield as evidence of the day car placed there and photo the car. It will evidence the condition of the car on that day. If the Customs officials or workers object to the photos tell them your insurance company requires it and you are only taking photos of your property, period.

Regards, and good luck and welcome.

PJT

Thank you PJT for the info, it all sounds so scary but were are determined to make this move.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I would think you can easily find on-line a shipper from NYC or NJ that ships to Santo Doming. No problema. I would consider switching the title on the car and put it in both you and your husbands name. It is very easy to do and not expensive. If it is strictly in your name and you don't have residency it might be problematic. Good luck and good travels.

Jan 9, 2004
Yes, it's only my name on the car, but like you it is my husband who is the returning Dominican. If this is the route we are going to take then we will do as PJT suggested by putting both our names as shippers and receivers.

Thank you for the heads-up

Here are your options:

Ship the car in your name and pay the almost 50% taxes that you will be charged on the vehicle, putting the container contents in his name only...or...

Apply and receive provisional residency and then ship your car/contents under that reduced tax regimen...or...the best option from a tax perspective...

Switch the title/registration of the vehicle to your husbands name (need a wait time of 1 year, I believe, before shipping the vehicle) and then put all contents of the container in his name only....to take advantage of the very generous tax breaks accorded returning Dominicans.

Of course your personal circumstances may come into play as to which is the right option for you.

Again...good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Catch 22 ?

I would think you can easily find on-line a shipper from NYC or NJ that ships to Santo Doming. No problema. I would consider switching the title on the car and put it in both you and your husbands name. It is very easy to do and not expensive. If it is strictly in your name and you don't have residency it might be problematic. Good luck and good travels.

There is always a "catch 22", especially with Dominican Customs. Changing the title will also require a change in the US registration of the car to show the additional owner's name. That will create a new car registration of under a year ownership and definitely force a new title. Cars registered under one's name for under a year and imported into the country are open to a higher taxation value. Best you consult with the movers and/or their Dominican customs broker agents to get feedback on this matter. If there is a tax waiver get a written response quoting the regulation involved just in case DR Customs gives you grief.

Moving can be stressful. You must be up to the task. When it is all done you will feel better for it.

Regards,

PJT