Getting Sick.,casa Del Mar.

ROSEYROSE2000

Mar 1, 2002
WE ARE GOING TO CASA DEL MAR IN MAY.2002, CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY GOT SICK?? I HEARD THAT PEOPLE GET REAL SICK WHEN GOING TO DR. SHOULD WE STAY AWAY FROM ANY CERTAIN FOODS? CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT CASA DEL MAR? ROOMS,FOOD,KIDS ACTIVITIES ETC??? THANKS

jeanette

Feb 2, 2002
info

there was a long discussion on debbiesdominicantravel.com. about getting sick and staying healthy.
Go to the bulletin board and click on questions.
Do not drink the water, or brush your teeth with it. Very important. If you drink a lot of coconut milk you will spend more time in the bathroom. Bring pepto bismol and take 1 every day. If you start to get the runs, take immodium.
There are reviews on that website for your hotel. It sounds nice. Post a review when you get back.

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
SICK

Rosey,

Read the link Delores posted. Notice that it's all common sense.

Fear "of getting sick" can ruin your vacation.

Forget the Pepto Bismol. It can mask the signs if bleeding since it turns your stool black!

IMMODIUM!! It's like the AMEX card......"Don't leave home without it". Keep it in your purse, glove comptartment, and luggage.

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
John said:
" I HEARD THAT PEOPLE GET REAL SICK WHEN GOING TO DR"
Why don't you just stay home getting fat in McDonalds instead getting sick in DR?

Why don't you stay in the open forum with your gratuitously slanderous comment.

RoseyRose, Just don't don't drink or brush with the water. Watch the other fresh local fruits you injest and you'll do fine. BTW if you turn off the caps lock, you won't sound hysterical.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
immodium

I dunno, I find when I have a simple case of "traveller's stomach" that taking immodium sometimes creates a worse situation than simply being "overly-regular"; it stops everything up and creates nasty stomach cramps. If it's just a matter of having to go a few extra times a day, I'd live with the inconvenience and let nature take its course.

<sub>Just my $0.02 (and I'm not an MD).</sub>

SUN_RA

Jan 14, 2002
Bien, John

Estos Pendejos siempre hablan de " Si me hoy a enfermar en RD". Que Carajos, a ellos nadie los manda a buscar. Si quieren venir que vengan y sino, que no vengan 'na.

You people always talk about getting sick in Dr. As with any other country, when you travel, you take a chance with the change in climate and other natural events. " If you want to come, you're, if not just the same". What if I go to your country, can you guarantee me that I won't get sick?. Like John said, eat your MQD's and get fat.

VIVA LA REPUBLICA DOMINICANA, CARAJO!!!!!!!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
travelers stomach

JJSK, I pray your remedy will continue to serve you.

Travelers stomach can cause enormous loss of water and that among other things lowers the electrolite levels in the body. The result of this can cause irregular heartbeat and sometimes results in death, especially in the elderly.

Above all, anyone suffering with travelers stomach please keep yourself hydrated and do take medication to ease the symptoms. If it persists see a doctor.

My wife and I had the unpleasant experience a few years back when we were traveling in Morocco. A traveling companion had come down with travelers stomach and like a trooper suffered through it silently for days figuring it would cure itself. Well, our friend collapsed with an elevated heart beat and severe dehydration. The tour guide insisted it was a only a case of travelers stomach and our friend would be OK. My wife, a nurse, demanded that our friend be taken to the nearest hospital pronto. We made an emergency trip to Rabat to obtain medical care, fortunately we were in time. The doctors treating him said, had we not sought medical help, he surely would have had a heart attack. He was given fluids and meds and some overnight TLC. Made a new man of him. We were happy and relieved. Regards, PJT

drbrazeau

Feb 26, 2002
We used to live in the DR and we go there frequently to help with medical teams. From the public health viewpoint, even the Dominicans suffer from gastro-intestinal infection and infestation. A big problem is the way that water is stored and delivered, in poor aqueducts and then in underground cisterns with no means of protection from contamination. Contaminated water will contain bacteria, parasites like amoeba and girardia and worms.

Precautions are found in the websites for travellers. Buy bottled water, stick to good eating establishments to be sure dishes are washed and dried well, etc., and be sure any ice is from commercial bags. Don't open your mouth in the shower. Our last trip: no one on the team became ill.

Breakfast Buffets -- get there early in the morning to avoid fly-contamination over time. If you see flies on your food, don't eat it. People are afraid of cockroaches and not flies. Cockroaches just hang around your nice, clean kitchen. Flies go from the pit toilet to your fresh mango. Flies are nasty.

Try to get a RX for Cipro before leaving the states. If you get cramps, diarrhea etc. take one, twice a day, five days. In the DR, find a pill called albendazole, for worms, take one. We have never taken a worm pill and have not had the need.

At the beach, don't swim near any river outlet. These carry polluted water.

Travlwizz

Feb 2, 2002
Getting sick

Having just returned last week, I figured I could put in my two cents worth. We stayed at an all inclusive resort, not that it makes a difference....and no one in our group of 17 was ill. We had all educated ourselves on the do's and don'ts before we left Canada. Some in the group took Pepto-Bismol every day, some took Immodium...we took nothing because there was no need. Our doctor here says, if you can peel it, wash it with purified water and eat it...if it is cooked..eat it, otherwise...leave it alone. Fruits and vegetables that are peeled should be safe as they are washed with safe water in the resort(so we were told)

You are bound to encounter some sort of change in your system, no matter where you travel...not just specifically in the DR. I am in Mexico a lot and Arizona and the same problems occur there due to changes. You are deviating from the way you normally eat and your system reacts accordingly. Plain and simple...and use common sense. Coconut milk has natural laxative properties and a lot of the food is cooked in coconut oil as well so just be aware. The restaurants tend to use a lot of butter on their dishes so if you are not accustomed to that as well, it could present a problem.

Go with an open mind and enjoy the people, culture and the food. Enjoy~

check with your local health unit regarding innoculations at least one month prior to departure. We were recommended to have the HEP A vaccination as well as a flu shot as preventative measures.

Last edited:

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
Well, I was DELETED
Dolores prefer this "lady" who never had a post before in DR1.
Like others in the past who post something bad about DR and run. She got what she wanted.
Sure people get sick in DR, but you get sick also in jamaica, mexico, even in USA.
I would like to know, if she is still there (what i doubt) where she heard that people GET REAL SICK IN DR?
I had been visiting AI resorts almost every second weekend. Mostly PC, and never, never got sick.
why? I just eat 2 or 3 times a day (not like a pig 4 or 5 a day)
I am seriously thinking to join TW if I get deleted without reason again.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
aw c'mon

John, asking about the possibility of getting sick while travelling doesn't necessarily mean they were trying to say something bad about the DR. A lot of people get sick when they travel, no matter where they are travelling to. Everyone warns against drinking the water in DR, so it's a legit question to wonder; not a shot at the country.

John El ?nico

Jan 9, 2002
jjsk

why you dont go to the top and read again?
She says "I HEARD THAT PEOPLE GET REALLY SICK WHEN GOING TO DR"
That was the only think she heard about DR?
Does she has another post here? why does she run?

SwanSong

Jan 19, 2002
I got back on the 18th from DR. Stayed at an all inculsive with 6 other people. They all had nary a problem.... Me on the other had - I ended up in Emerg here in Toronto 2 days after my return. Very very ill.
I inadvertantly picked up a parasite on Sat/Sun before I left DR. I ate and drank the exact same as all the others, including my hubby so where I got what they didn't I do not know.
Because I was flying home on on Monday I had to "stop the flow" so to speak and took some Immodium. By Tues the parasite that was in me decided to claw my upper abdomen to bits - I figure that it had either decided it had been in there long enough or it didn't like the cold (my guess is the latter - lol).
Anyway to make a long story short - after experiencing the worst pain in my entire life and 6 hrs in Emergency getting blood drawn and tested I will live. LOL
ANd to be honest - now that everythign is workign correctly I gotta tell you I'D DO IT ALL AGAIN!!!!! I had a wonderful time! Woohoo!

Travlwizz

Feb 2, 2002
SwanSong

So...you got there on Air Transat despite all of the problems? How were the flights? What was it like to stop in Buffalo? Hope you are feeling better! Deb

SwanSong

Jan 19, 2002
Hey Deb,
The flight there and back was pure Hell!! I sigend up and paid for a 4hr direct flight. It was more like 6 hours with double customs clearing. And let me tell you.... US Customs in Buffalo coming home expressed their unhappiness at AT's actions.
My letter goes out to AT tomorrow - I'll let you know how it turns out.....

ChattyCathy

Feb 23, 2002
Swan Song

Hi there,So sorry to hear you got so sick! I was wondering how long the stop was in Buffalo.My agent told me 1 hour??? I have read elsewhere that it is alot longer. We leave tomorrow morning out of Toronto.We cant wait to get out of the cold and wet. :)Cathy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Cathy?? Please post your opinions here as soon as possible> eh?

We'd love to hear your input.

Where are you going?? PC??

HB

ROSEYROSE2000

Mar 1, 2002
BIEN JOHN....i was not critizing your country at all .. as a matter of fact...my father has been living 20mins out of santo domingo for 8 years....he has even warned me to be careful. with what you eat and drink,..it was not a shot at your country. if i had any reservations, i would not be going...it was an innocent question and no need to take it so personally...i have heard so many wonderful things about dr..thats why i am going with my family...i just wanted a few tips...sorry you were affended.