For the techies

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
I have been getting daily phone calls from a Dominican number (says Santo Domingo Claro) and when I answer there is no one on the other side of the call. This has been going on for months, 4 or 5 times a day. I'm wondering if there is any way to find out who is calling. I know you have to have a cedula to open a phone account with a Dominican carrier but how private do the keep that info? Sure would be nice to know who's calling.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
They call me as well after they have emailed me my phone bill. I also get calls from APP (trash company) when the bill is due.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I'm pretty sure you can set up an account with Claro or Orange with a passport, you don't necessarily need a cedula.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
It's most likely a robo call. The banks have been at it quite a bit too the last couple of years. I agree with the advice to block the number. The problem is European privacy laws and North American "do not call" registries don't exist in the Dominican Republic.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have been getting daily phone calls from a Dominican number (says Santo Domingo Claro) and when I answer there is no one on the other side of the call. This has been going on for months, 4 or 5 times a day. I'm wondering if there is any way to find out who is calling. I know you have to have a cedula to open a phone account with a Dominican carrier but how private do the keep that info? Sure would be nice to know who's calling.

I get them too, do you have a prepaid plan?  Most times no one there, it's Claro making robo calls.  The times when someone was there they were trying to talk me into a postpaid plan. All sorts of offertas, I tell them I live in US most of year and they hang up, rinse and repeat. 

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I get them too, do you have a prepaid plan?  Most times no one there, it's Claro making robo calls.  The times when someone was there they were trying to talk me into a postpaid plan. All sorts of offertas, I tell them I live in US most of year and they hang up, rinse and repeat. 

The robocalls sometimes take a few moments to start playing their recording, and don't start until they voice activated.

OP, Have you ever tried calling back the number?