Dashcam video admissible in court?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am hoping so. Shopping for one now. I Like the ones that film forward and backwards. My plan would be to use the video to avoid ever going to court and convince the cops of my innocence. A gringo like myself is in a bad spot if anything goes to court.
Probably need a Guzman response unless someone has had the unfortunate experience.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I am hoping so. Shopping for one now. I Like the ones that film forward and backwards. My plan would be to use the video to avoid ever going to court and convince the cops of my innocence. A gringo like myself is in a bad spot if anything goes to court.
Probably need a Guzman response unless someone has had the unfortunate experience.

You are right, this must be in the Legal section.
To the Mod, can you please move this to the Legal section?
Thanks

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Usually to be used as evidence in court, the recorded video may need to have a date/time stamp. To show to the police on the roadside, last year's video of two cars in Russia will probably suffice. 

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I gave mine to the insurance company and never heard back from the moto that hit me. He wanted 200 USD at the accident. I now have a camera in the front and in the back.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What I did when I was struck was jump out and demand money for being hit.....loudly

Police came... settled everything by sending the offender on his way.

Best defense is a good offense..........worked for me

Camera has been used and reported here more than once - successfully

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
after I got a ticket last year for going through a red light {that I did not go through}on avedida luperon I purchased a dashcam ....it might also help when you come across hungry policemen
luckily I have never needed it since ....but better " to have and not need than to need and not have"

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I had a prang not that long ago.  A taxi turned left, right in front of me and hit me almost head on, on my side of the road.  Luckily I have a dash cam.

Unfortunately  for me, where he was turning into was the taxi park in Sosua.  All of his taxi mates ganged up against me and said that it was my fault.  They were actually quite intimidating.  But after I showed the video footage on the cam, some of them backed down as they could clearly see that the taxista was at fault.  Other than of course, the guy who hit me, saying that the footage was fake!

We went to AMET to file the reports and by then had uploaded the footage onto a tablet so it was clearer to see.  The taxi driver went with a lawyer to make an attempt to sue me.  So I called my lawyer.  She told me to email her the footage and she would get it notarized.  Meaning that should ever a court case ever come up, it can be used as admissible evidence.

In the end his lawyer recommended we settle for a knock for knock.  i.e. he fixes his and I fix mine.  My Prado had a bent steering arm and his old Camry was totaled!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I had a prang not that long ago.  A taxi turned left, right in front of me and hit me almost head on, on my side of the road.  Luckily I have a dash cam.

Unfortunately  for me, where he was turning into was the taxi park in Sosua.  All of his taxi mates ganged up against me and said that it was my fault.  They were actually quite intimidating.  But after I showed the video footage on the cam, some of them backed down as they could clearly see that the taxista was at fault.  Other than of course, the guy who hit me, saying that the footage was fake!

We went to AMET to file the reports and by then had uploaded the footage onto a tablet so it was clearer to see.  The taxi driver went with a lawyer to make an attempt to sue me.  So I called my lawyer.  She told me to email her the footage and she would get it notarized.  Meaning that should ever a court case ever come up, it can be used as admissible evidence.

In the end his lawyer recommended we settle for a knock for knock.  i.e. he fixes his and I fix mine.  My Prado had a bent steering arm and his old Camry was totaled!

Ok, so that answers my question, thank you so much.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Good for you Beeza. Not often a gringo comes out on top around here. Those taxi guys turn into that taxi park recklessly all the time. Nearly got me once or twice. The taxis that race from Sosua to PP are a menace on the highway. They race each other to grab fares waiting roadside. I know they need to make a living but they make a bad situation worse.