I want to bring in 2 Tvs less than $200

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So here we go again:
I know if the Tv is less than $200 dollars and if I have the receipt then I am home free but what if I bring in 2 (32 inch) Tvs, would my TVs be counted as 2 TVs individually costing less then $200 each or will the price of both TVs will be added up and then I will be charged tax?
I know the prices of TV have dropped in stores in DR but I also know the cheaper TVs they are selling are generic chinese models with 720p resolution. I can get a nice name brand TV from walmart which will be a smart TV (netflex apps and youtube etc integrated) plus it will be full HD 1080p resolution. All for less than 200 dollars. This TV doesn't exist in DR for a cheap price at all. all 32 inch TVs in DR are basically 720p resolution and are not even smart TV. I think most models in this class are either obsolete models or fake chinese brands with inferior image quality.
So please answer my question if you have any solid info. I have already done my foot work in DR stores and I know exactly what is available here and for what price. I fly to USA almost every month so going back and forth in order to get warranty repair is not a problem. I will get 2 yrs warranty in USA if I use my master card to buy the item.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ok, I think I have found my answer to my own question. If I bring in one Tv then I am good to go but if I ship in 2 Tvs at once then the total sum will be counted as one which would be greater than $200 dollars. I would have to pay as much as 48% tax on the TVs.
The bottom line: bring in 1 Tv at a time and if the item is less than 200 dollars then you pay nothing.
AZB

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
ok, I think I have found my answer to my own question. If I bring in one Tv then I am good to go but if I ship in 2 Tvs at once then the total sum will be counted as one which would be greater than $200 dollars. I would have to pay as much as 48% tax on the TVs.
The bottom line: bring in 1 Tv at a time and if the item is less than 200 dollars then you pay nothing.
AZB

...and still there is a chance they will try to screw you; they determine the value of the TV... :pirate:

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Don't, as with shipping here (according to cps), they will add it up.  Cps (I know your bringing them) said just ship then a few days apart, so I wouldn't do it if your bringing them. Also, the difference between 720 on 1080 on Delancer HD or slow internet is basically undetectable. 

single travel

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
right, very few (if any here) provide 1080 .....not a factor unless for DVD, I am told

Only Blueray is 720 or 1080; standard DVD is standard definition, just wide-screen. And even 720 is good enough for a PS3, though one may notice the difference with a PS4.

(in case anyone is about to ask, both have Bluray players embedded)

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Why would you need warranty repair for something that cost less than $200? You wouldn't likely be covered for more than one year anyway. At that cost, if you have a repair problem you just buy another if you can't get it fixed locally.

So here we go again:
I know if the Tv is less than $200 dollars and if I have the receipt then I am home free but what if I bring in 2 (32 inch) Tvs, would my TVs be counted as 2 TVs individually costing less then $200 each or will the price of both TVs will be added up and then I will be charged tax?
I know the prices of TV have dropped in stores in DR but I also know the cheaper TVs they are selling are generic chinese models with 720p resolution. I can get a nice name brand TV from walmart which will be a smart TV (netflex apps and youtube etc integrated) plus it will be full HD 1080p resolution. All for less than 200 dollars. This TV doesn't exist in DR for a cheap price at all. all 32 inch TVs in DR are basically 720p resolution and are not even smart TV. I think most models in this class are either obsolete models or fake chinese brands with inferior image quality.
So please answer my question if you have any solid info. I have already done my foot work in DR stores and I know exactly what is available here and for what price. I fly to USA almost every month so going back and forth in order to get warranty repair is not a problem. I will get 2 yrs warranty in USA if I use my master card to buy the item.
AZB

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
So here we go again:
AZB

Pack them in your suitcase and bring them anything the Aduanas can see by way of electronics they will either tax or "Confiscate".

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
no I will not get screwed. I fight back and I win when I am right.
About resolution: I have sensitive eyes so I can detect the difference between 1080p and 720p. I agree, the difference is minute when you have a screen that small. but it's nice to have a 1080p for such a cheap price ($164 shipped to miami address and then "BM cargo" will bring it to me for 1200 pesos).
I will get 2 years warranty on TV because I have bought it with my american express card. I get an extra added year to the walmart 1 year warranty. I have tested it as a few years back 2 laptops and a desktop burnt in my apartment from some electrical spike. I was covered in my american express warranty and my 2 years were not up. I got both of them fixed for free. Now I agree TV less than 200 dollars is no big deal if it gets burnt, I can just buy another one but it's nice to have the option to get it fixed for free.
The TV is for my kid but if I like the model then I may get one for myself as well. I will just use it in my bedroom to stream netflex videos and youtube videos.
AZB

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
About resolution: I have sensitive eyes so I can detect the difference between 1080p and 720p. I agree, the difference is minute when you have a screen that small. but it's nice to have a 1080p for such a cheap price ($164 shipped to miami address and then "BM cargo" will bring it to me for 1200 pesos).
I will get 2 years warranty on TV because I have bought it with my american express card. I get an extra added year to the walmart 1 year warranty. I have tested it as a few years back 2 laptops and a desktop burnt in my apartment from some electrical spike. I was covered in my american express warranty and my 2 years were not up. I got both of them fixed for free. Now I agree TV less than 200 dollars is no big deal if it gets burnt, I can just buy another one but it's nice to have the option to get it fixed for free.
The TV is for my kid but if I like the model then I may get one for myself as well. I will just use it in my bedroom to stream netflex videos and youtube videos.
AZB

I bet you watch in your bedroom a lot more than the above mentioned. ;)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
AZB

Brother, set up an account with Domex. Not only are they much cheaper, but they will deliver to your house.

I was using Jetpack for years and taking it in the shorts for the good service, but once I tried Domex, that was all she wrote.

Better service at half the price.

You know I'd never steer you wrong!!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Pack them in your suitcase and bring them anything the Aduanas can see by way of electronics they will either tax or "Confiscate".
......Never had that problem...I buy at walmart, take out of box , no stickers ect..... Have brought 4 in my luggage, all visio... biggest is 32 inch,about $130 us dollars.......the dvd players are easy, I like the samsung, blu ray, never a problem with any that would need warranty work.......Doc..........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

So NOT true. I have seen hundreds of TVs being brought in and no taxes, no confiscation.............

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I lost count a long time ago the amount of TV's I brought into this country in my luggage. Never paid one peso.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...... Anyway tvs are easy but.... need a weber bbq. .....looked at one today at home store, and other places..... a kettle for app $600 us dollars, that is insane...........no luggage is that big????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have one DOC

Buy at Home Depot or Lowes , free shipping to a mudanza.... 
poof, appears at your door.

Done it more than once,,,, Le
Lawn mower, BBQ (2).... you name it