Thank You SO Much for Your Help, Alter Ego!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We are always trying to improve MotoCaribe's tour routes to give guests much greater exposure to the "real" Dominican Republic, those areas off the tourist grid where the local culture is richest and less spoiled by outside influences (a tough task!)

A couple of weeks ago she and her better half agreed to meet with us after dropping Mom CB off at SDQ to show some of the southern coast west of San Cristobal (FWIW, San Cristobal is a horrid town.)

And show us she did!

The afternoon was spent touring the area by car, offering some welcome additions to our SouthWest tour.

Generally, we go to the SW by the El Baden/Medina bypass from Autopista Duarte, past La Toma, a stop at Cuevas del Pomier and on to get on the southern autopista at San Cristobel to Bani. That 33km stretch of autopista is boring and dangerous because of multiple crossroad access, commercial trucks, varying vehicle speeds...and often high winds. We stop at the big Chinese parada east of Bani for lunch, interesting but somewhat forgettable.

But we don't take that stretch of autopista any longer.

Instead Grace & Mani gave us an excellent alternative: after only 7 short km on the autopista, we get off at the El Limon-Duveaux exit, ride a mountain road to 506 and on to an excellent beachside lunch at Golden Beach Restaurant on Playa Palenque, then past Nizao and Punta Catalina (where the huge new power plant is being built, want a sight!!!), and rejoining the end of the autopista at Bani!

We took that route, first time, last week. It takes an additional 1.5 hours to arrive at Las Salinas, but what a great addition to the tour! We can cut the additional time down by at least an hour by better time management, route knowledge and ordering lunch ahead.

Alter Ego, thank you so much! I'll have some special coffee for you when it's ready!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Err think she calls it cawfee!

Matilda

Nah, i think you confused thats the folks on Lawn Guyland , they make the caw like Mc Caw sound
... we in Joisey call it coffeeeee..

Very Nice Story Cobra , sounds like fun..
we were wondering where yuuu beeeeeeeen.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nah, i think you confused thats the folks on Lawn Guyland , they make the caw like Mc Caw sound

Out committing first degree capitalism.

A group of beer executives from Slovakia arrive later this week. We're having a Presidente vs. Whatever They Brew in Slovakia competition tasting one night.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Out committing first degree capitalism.

A group of beer executives from Slovakia arrive later this week. We're having a Presidente vs. Whatever They Brew in Slovakia competition tasting one night.

Sounds like fun. If I were a beer drinker, I would try and weasel my way into this par-tay!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Matilda is right. I left NYC/Long Island a long time ago, but I brought my Brooklyn/LI accent along to NJ. I tawk like Bernie Sanders. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Cobraboy, it was a pleasure seeing you and Alida again. Did your group enjoy the views over the mountain?  

We drove up near Punta Catalina last week too,  it's massive!  

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Great trip out that way. I did it a few times back when I had the Wrangler. A nice cruise with the top and windshield down and something cold to wet the whistle.

I gotta get out there again to see Punta Catalina.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Err think she calls it cawfee!

Matilda

Shoyn! You Brits think all Americans sound the same!

I KNOW that London doesn't sound like the Cotswolds or Lees or Coventry.

I myself---but then again, with all that theatre training I don't sound like I'm from anywhere---don't say "caw-fee."

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Matilda is right. I left NYC/Long Island a long time ago, but I brought my Brooklyn/LI accent along to NJ. I tawk like Bernie Sanders. 

But do you think like Bernie Sanders? Tawk is cheep.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

We bring the important things. For that certain mollusk that most call "scallop," I am from Massachusetts, and we say "scaw-lupp."

This is a source of never-ending amusement to my child, whose father was from Manhattan, mother from MA, learned to talk in Iowa, and spent his first 15-years in CT.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Great trip out that way. I did it a few times back when I had the Wrangler. A nice cruise with the top and windshield down and something cold to wet the whistle.

I gotta get out there again to see Punta Catalina.

Don't let me hear you did that and didn't stop here. :)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
[video=youtube_share;T9yLRJA6zU8]https://youtu.be/T9yLRJA6zU8[/video]

That lip corners really far forward thingy; is that done with a Queens accent as well, AE?

That's what President The Donald does. :D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
[video=youtube_share;T9yLRJA6zU8]https://youtu.be/T9yLRJA6zU8[/video]

That lip corners really far forward thingy; is that done with a Queens accent as well, AE?

That's what President The Donald does. :D

If you know NY, you know that the migration from Brooklyn was often Brooklyn-Queens-Nassau or Suffolk. We brought our accent along. Bronx went north to Yonkers and Westchester, etc 

Matilda, do you see what you started here?????