Air Canada not accepting Debit Card at POP

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
My wife just called me. She is at POP trying to check in for her flight. She attempted to pay for her luggage with her debit card, and the gate agent refused saying that they only accept credit cards. My wife's debit card is Mastercard and even has the chip. 

The gate agent wouldn't even try it, and of course in true Dominican fashion refuses to be helpful or even rebook her flight. 

Anyone else had this issue? This seem legit, lazy, or scammy?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
happens frequently. Call the 800 number first. Then you need a friendly cashier at the counter. For some reason in the DR my credit cards often do not work and are refused. I usually try other cards till one works. Often the declined card will work on second or third try. Person at the counter is well aware of frequent refusals of good cards. Be persistent.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Seasoned travelers always carry a quantity of emergency cash to avoid such situations and always a hard currency such as dollars or euros which are acceptable payment anywhere.
My wife just called me. She is at POP trying to check in for her flight. She attempted to pay for her luggage with her debit card, and the gate agent refused saying that they only accept credit cards. My wife's debit card is Mastercard and even has the chip. 

The gate agent wouldn't even try it, and of course in true Dominican fashion refuses to be helpful or even rebook her flight. 

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

If there is money in the account why can't she walk 40 steps, draw out the cash and pay it that way, then file a complaint with the airline later? There are 4 AMT's in that airport within a few steps.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This isn't a 'not working' card - as I read it.

'NO DEBIT CARDS ACCEPTED' appears to be the problem..... credit cards only

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If there is money in the account why can't she walk 40 steps, draw out the cash and pay it that way, then file a complaint with the airline later? There are 4 AMT's in that airport within a few steps.

good thought........

but then again they probably don't accept cash

Last edited:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Last trip down... they ( suncountry airlines) took cash at the airport counter for luggage.......once in the air, plastic card only........

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
They would not accept cash at the counter. 

It wasn't that the card wouldn't work, she refused to even try it