Puerto Plata to Santiago - Road Report

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I drove from Puerto Plata (Costambar) to Santiago yesterday on Hwy 5 (the usual main route through the tunnel) and was surprised at the amount of work being done. Overall, the road was pretty good. Some portions have been repaved and the areas near the large bridges are much better...no slowing needed at all. There is significant work being done to add two lanes in some areas and some more repaving in others. However, there were at least two places where travel was reduced to one lane with a flagman stopping traffic as necessary. Not sure what happens at night...could be dangerous. Maybe they reopen both lanes.... There were some very rough small patches where the old surface had been stripped away and that slowed speeds significantly. However, the trip was still only about 1 hour and 15 minutes and I felt fairly safe. It would be fantastic to have four lanes all the way between these two cities or even some shoulders or special passing lanes to go around large slow truck safely. It was good to see all the work being done, but the route clearly needs more attention and improvement.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I went on the same route on Sunday, there was no flagman on those one lane sections and it was very dangerous to go ahead.

As mentioned, there were several rough spots as well.

There was one section on the way from POP to Santiago that could have removed a wheel if you hit it at speed.

Definitely not a good drive at night.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i traveled that road on monday and before that, a week ago, at night. the road is in bad shape in places but we have those spots memorized so even driving at night was not an issue.

JackB17

Sep 29, 2012
Did that road yesterday and agree with most of what the OP says. I agree night driving could be challenging. There were no flagmen on the single lane stretches we encountered but people were sensible about alternating.
Came back on the mountain road through Moca and La Cumbre and that road is really deteriorating. Did it last in November and a significant decline since then. Too bad some preventitive maintenance is not being done as soon it will be almost impassable without lots of money being spent. The bridge at Jamoa is an interesting experience!