Running multiple Air-conditioning units

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I've always been under the impression that it is more energy efficient to run your heating or cooling system all day instead of turning it off.

For those that use multiple split systems or central AC  do you leave it on all day, and at what temperature setting?  I'm not talking about extremes like the late great CC.

If you don't mind adding, what are your typical energy cost per month? 

Those that don't run their systems all day, does it affect your walls ( mold , pealing paint)

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I never turn it off, 72 degrees, even in the winter, keeps the humidity out, around 450 U.S dollars give or take

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The answer is it depends.

Central AC versus AC in each or several rooms, at what temperature are you setting as a comfort temp. What is the starting temp of the space, do you wish to run the AC for the whole time you occupy the space to keep it cool or do you want the space to stay cooler longer when the AC is turned off?

The structure of the electric bill is a factor here as over XXX kwh, the entire monthly consumption is charged at a higher rate, as opposed to a staggered billing amount as in other countries. How efficient your AC is plays an important part in how much electricity it uses. Eg. Inverter type or standard full tilt compressor.

There is a definitive answer for your question. That answer is dependant on many variables that you have not quantified.

I assume we are talking about usage here in the DR. I have yet to see a house or Apt with a duct system, so central AC is usually a nonstarter here. The first step is to install the most efficient AC units you can find and afford. 22 SEER inverter style as a minimum. All other considerations follow from here.

Energy efficiency is not necessarily the same as cost effectiveness. 

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
The answer is it depends.

Central AC versus AC in each or several rooms, at what temperature are you setting as a comfort temp. What is the starting temp of the space, do you wish to run the AC for the whole time you occupy the space to keep it cool or do you want the space to stay cooler longer when the AC is turned off?

The structure of the electric bill is a factor here as over XXX kwh, the entire monthly consumption is charged at a higher rate, as opposed to a staggered billing amount as in other countries. How efficient your AC is plays an important part in how much electricity it uses. Eg. Inverter type or standard full tilt compressor.

There is a definitive answer for your question. That answer is dependant on many variables that you have not quantified.

I assume we are talking about usage here in the DR. I have yet to see a house or Apt with a duct system, so central AC is usually a nonstarter here. The first step is to install the most efficient AC units you can find and afford. 22 SEER inverter style as a minimum. All other considerations follow from here.

Energy efficiency is not necessarily the same as cost effectiveness. 

Thanks for your reply, but I wasn't asking for a definitive answer. All I asked was for people to post if they leave their ACs on (spilt, central or window) full time or not. Also what settings? If you don't then does it affect your place.

So if you give and answer to these question I would appreciate it, but don't over complicate things

1) Do you run your AC all day and night
2) Where do you set the temperature ( you can answer in Celsius or Fahrenheit)
3)What are your monthly electric bills
4) If you don't run your AC continuously, does it affect your walls?

BTW, I've seen apartments and houses with central AC, not many but I've seen a few/

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I have found that splits work better in the DR. You only cool what you need. If there is an area that you, that you don't use all the time. extra BR. set it at 24-25. Keeps the humid. down. If you like to spleep cool, Depends on how long you have lived here. set the temp to 20-21. The elect. cost depends on where you live.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I've always been under the impression that it is more energy efficient to run your heating or cooling system all day instead of turning it off.

For those that use multiple split systems or central AC  do you leave it on all day, and at what temperature setting?  I'm not talking about extremes like the late great CC.

Those that don't run their systems all day, does it affect your walls ( mold , pealing paint)

I've wondered this myself, as there's definitely BTUs involved in cooling a room from 80*+ vs keeping it at a constant level.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I only switch them on when it's too hot. In the summer that means, from 11 am to 10 pm. No problems with humidity when not using them.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Once you cool a area down. Like first or second floor, it will stay cool. If you are on the top floor or have a cement roof, you are out of luck. Thing hold heat and cold. I turn my a/c on in my BR at night. Sleep. 2nd flr. close the door, after I get up. Stays mostly cool during the day. Turn it on about 8 plus or minus. Works for me. If you on the top floor or under the roof. This doesn't work. A/C and a big fan is all I can suggest.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Been living here almost 5 years now (minus a month) never lived anywhere on the island with air conditioning.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
This is actually a personal situation in my house. My wife hates AC and loves a warm room and when the AC is on she turns on a vaporizer to add humidity that the AC takes out but almost doubles the AC bill for the humidity... that get's taken out and added. I'm not a fan of AC but I need a fan blowing on me. My wife does not like the breeze while I do. What can I say or advise since I'm in a catch 22 concerning AC and electric bills. Other the our bills use to be very high.

It took a few years to acclimate and it took a little self forcing and discomfort to do so. If we use AC it is set @ 38C with a fan on me and that is fine. (OK... so we sleep in different bedrooms but it works for us.) My wife turns on the ceiling fan and she is OK with that little air movement.

Walls sweating? That's more about your construction then AC. We have never had a sweating wall or paint peeling. We do see wooden furniture change going from normal humidity to AC drying things out. Our walk in cloths closet is totally cedar lined and never had a mildew problem NOR anywhere in the house as we keep the air flowing. I must add that we have a very good housekeeper that loves the smell of choro and listol. (?)

1st floor has 7 foot ceilings. 2nd floor has up to 20 feet. Guess which floor costs more? Some rooms have single glass and most have double. Some doors have a real weather strip around them with a threshold that seals the room and others you can blow smoke through.

Estimating you elec. bill and how YOU manage your personal comfort is all up to you.

Good Luck.

BTY... we have 14 split AC units and very seldom... very seldom run any at all. Times and situations and we changed some over the last 20 years here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So if you give and answer to these question I would appreciate it, but don't over complicate things

1) Do you run your AC all day and night
2) Where do you set the temperature ( you can answer in Celsius or Fahrenheit)
3)What are your monthly electric bills
4) If you don't run your AC continuously, does it affect your walls?

/

1) I have splits in the bedrooms only. I turn them on as needed and use the sleep mode or timer to turn them off long after I've fallen asleep.

2) 25C for me is a comfortable temperature when the humidity in the room is lowered by the AC. My ACs have a dehumidify function that runs the compressor at a lower speed than standard cooling mode. Often using dehumidify is all I need. Once in a while I set it to 24C when I can't seem to get comfortable at 25C, but not often.

3) Including pool pump and all other electrical uses about $175-$200 USD per month.

4) I have no problems with my walls. When the ACs aren't on, windows and screen doors are open for a cross breeze and to move the air around. A ceiling fan or pedestal fan is cheaper to operate than an AC if air movement is a consideration.

My AC's are 24 SEER inverter splits. My electricity costs before replacing the older standard ACs was obscene. My electricity savings in the first year paid for the extra cost of the more efficient units. 

Hope this helps. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
TGM
De Inverter product line
Don't know the model number, it's dark outside and there are spiders around I hear... I'll look at the rating plate tomorrow.