AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I made it last year for the first time but with coconut milk. It was good but a little too rich for me. No one else liked it so I guess I won't be making it again.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Never liked habichuelas con dulce. My favorite thing about cuaresma time is guandules and bacalao,YUM!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I once wrote a song about habichuelas con dulce; it was set to the music of Los Toros Band's "Llegó tu marido."

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Mi girl fren made some a while back from a old recipe from the campo..... I tried a few bites, then placed the offensive stuff in the ice a box(italian contraption) to be stored I hope for eternity.....Those foreigners should stay the fock out of Dominican cooking.............Doc..........

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Never liked habichuelas con dulce. My favorite thing about cuaresma time is guandules and bacalao,YUM!

I loooooooove habichuelas con dulce. I like to add pieces of casabe and wait until it gets soggy and gummy. Delicious!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
When I came back to the DR and was running a small hotel in Sosua, the wife of my dear friend Juan (remember Juan?) always made habichuelas con dulce for me every year at Semana Santa. The first year I couldn't even taste it, because it was during Passover, and if you're observing the food rules for that holiday, beans are out. The second year, there was no overlap, so I took a taste. The third year, I accepted the gift with great thanks and poured it into the sink. Not my cup o'tea. But then again, I am a Dominican-in-training who does not eat sancocho or drink rum. Maybe in time......

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife doesn't like habichuelas con dulce at all, but she loves sweet corn. Me, I have had good tasting habichuelas con dulce, and I've had horrible stuff, so I avoid it but will take some just to be polite. Mondongo I will never eat.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My wife doesn't like habichuelas con dulce at all, but she loves sweet corn. Me, I have had good tasting habichuelas con dulce, and I've had horrible stuff, so I avoid it but will take some just to be polite. Mondongo I will never eat.

the contents of salami are worse than mondongo. far worse.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Without a doubt, I have seen dogs refuse Dominican salami. I don't eat salami or ham either.

there is a documentary on youtube in which is depicted a chicken waste packing plant in the USA. all the unsaleable parts , including feathers, are ground up into a mush and sold to sausage makers. that gloop is one of the ingredients in Dominican salami.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
there is a documentary on youtube in which is depicted a chicken waste packing plant in the USA. all the unsaleable parts , including feathers, are ground up into a mush and sold to sausage makers. that gloop is one of the ingredients in Dominican salami.

No more salami for me.:eek: