Meeting Tuesday re Migracion questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Saw this in Everything Sosua. If you attend please let us know what is said

Convocatoria

La Direccion General de Migración, Gobernación Provincial de Puerto Plata y el Ministerio de Turismo conjuntamente con la Asociacion de Hoteles y Restaurantes de Sosua y Cabarete invita a todos los extranjeros residentes en Sosua y Cabarete al:

ENCUENTRO AUTORIDADES MIGRACION & MITUR & GOBERNACION CON SECTOR TURISTICO

Martes 7 de Marzo

Hotel Casa Marina, Sosua, Puerto Plata

11:00am

OBJETIVO

Interactuar, orientar y aclarar sobre medidas de Migración para que los visitantes y residentes extranjeros tengan la oportunidad de preguntar sus inquietudes y reciban las informaciones directas de las autoridades de Migración.

http://noticiasenn.net/atencion-a-todos-los-extranjeros-residentes-en-sosua-cabarete-y-pp

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Google Translation:

Convocation The General Direction of Migration, Provincial Government of Puerto Plata and the Ministry of Tourism in conjunction with the Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Sosua and Cabarete invites all foreigners residing in Sosua and Cabarete to: MEETING AUTHORITIES MIGRACION & MITUR & GOVERNMENT WITH SECTOR TOURISM Tuesday, March 7 Casa Marina Hotel, Sosua, Puerto Plata 11:00 am OBJECTIVE To interact, guide and clarify immigration measures so that visitors and foreign residents have the opportunity to ask their questions and receive the direct information of the immigration authorities . We wait for you

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Will be a good time to check papers. LOL

Ha!  We think alike, I pictured a scene from a bad movie, where they get everyone inside and lock the doors

I think the meeting is a good start, hope some of you go and report back. If they tell you you can go to SD to extend, please tell them I tried that

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bad thought.... locking them..... like in Auschwitz.... gas chambers.....

Mental imagery...... not good.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Any of you currently on an "over stay" please be sure to bring your pocket book.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
A quick solution for those on overstay, and nervous, send a representative who is not over the 30 days to obtain answers for you. You have plenty of time to huddle together, and put a list of questions together. Hopefully, somebody you trust, and not somebody with an agenda. If not, and you truly NEED to be there yourself, as mentioned above, bring proper documentation and some money. There is no similar meeting scheduled for South coast towns.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In all seriousness, I don't think anyone will be cornered for documents at this meeting. I'd go if I lived close by. 

It's just so joke worthy. Mr AE said be careful, it may be like a roach motel, "roaches check in, but they don't check out". I'm waiting for him to sing one of his favorite songs, which also fits, Hotel California. 

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Saw this in Everything Sosua. If you attend please let us know what is said

Convocatoria

La Direccion General de Migración, Gobernación Provincial de Puerto Plata y el Ministerio de Turismo conjuntamente con la Asociacion de Hoteles y Restaurantes de Sosua y Cabarete invita a todos los extranjeros residentes en Sosua y Cabarete al:

ENCUENTRO AUTORIDADES MIGRACION & MITUR & GOBERNACION CON SECTOR TURISTICO

Martes 7 de Marzo

Hotel Casa Marina, Sosua, Puerto Plata

11:00am

OBJETIVO

Interactuar, orientar y aclarar sobre medidas de Migración para que los visitantes y residentes extranjeros tengan la oportunidad de preguntar sus inquietudes y reciban las informaciones directas de las autoridades de Migración.

http://noticiasenn.net/atencion-a-todos-los-extranjeros-residentes-en-sosua-cabarete-y-pp

Has anyone heard any additional information on this meeting?

Will the Migración Official have enough bars on his shoulder, to know the answers?
Will the Migración Official actually be willing to answer questions to Gringos, or just “told” to show up?
Will the discussion only be in Spanish?
Will there be Local Media?

It will be hard for the 30 to 180 days Snowbirds, to carry on intelligent banter, in Spanish, on legal issues. Then they have to remember it all, to tell everyone else.

The Migración Raids in early February have put a very dark cloud over the Snowbirds.
Just read all the comment so far.... will we be arrested at the meeting?

A meeting like this, is an important step to relieve this tension, but if we can't understand what is being said, how is that helping?

A meeting like this can worsen the tension. Look at the statements that Migración issued after the Raids.
-we CAN arrest people
-we followed the law
-we are doing more RAIDS next month
-all our Officers are highly trained.

I hope the Migración Official says enough quality words, and in a language we understand.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Nice way to get every all of them (illegals) in the same room... lol.... Not me. No. I won't go there.... No Sir...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Has anyone heard any additional information on this meeting?

...I hope the Migración Official says enough quality words, and in a language we understand.

Your points are certainly valid. Your concern justified. However, the DR is not a multilingual country. It would be nice if the discussion were to take place in English, for those who primarily speak that language, in German for those who primarily speak German, in French for those who primarily speak French, in Russian for those who primarily speak...

See the trend? This isn't the United Nations where there are little headphones connected to a horde of live translators. If you have concerns, attend the meeting with someone who can translate for you. Hire a lawyer for the afternoon, ask a friend, hire a translator. By all means go get your answers but be prepared to be proactive to deal with the language reality of this country. Spanish is all that one can reasonably expect, but English, German, French, Russian and pig latin would be nice.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Let's see. I have to do "renovation" of my Residencia and Cédula in the first days of May.
So I will go to this meeting, maybe to be able to clear up some questions before .

And to know more because of the rules for the guests of our house.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Nice way to get every all of them (illegals) in the same room... lol.... Not me. No. I won't go there.... No Sir...

I would be very surprised is this meeting turned out to be a sting and anyone got detained. However, those who deliberately choose to "fly under the radar" should resign themselves to the fact that popping their head up out of their hole is always risk. I'd send someone in my place if I felt a need to know what was said:

1) Because my Spanish is probably not good enough to grasp what could be a complicated message.
2) Because, if I am ducking for cover, it makes no sense to pop up next to the very people I am hiding from.

Status
Not open for further replies.