Electricity

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the electricity problems that started last night, affecting most of the country. Our electric was due back on at 6 pm, nothing. At 9 it came on, but just a trickle, not enough for the inverters to register it. Woke up this morning and the big inverter's batteries are dead, which means no power to the refrigerator or chest freezer. House inverter batteries are hanging in there. 

For us this meant cancelling a weekend visit to friends in Mao, as we have to be here to run the generator every few hours to save the food in fridge and freezers. 

:(

PS. According to news, 10 plantas went down all at once

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No problems with electricity here in Jarabacoa but just so we wouldn't feel special they cut off the water for yesterday and it is still not back.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Not where I live but we visited some friends last night in Arroyo Hondo who had no electricity during the day.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the electricity problems that started last night, affecting most of the country. Our electric was due back on at 6 pm, nothing. At 9 it came on, but just a trickle, not enough for the inverters to register it. Woke up this morning and the big inverter's batteries are dead, which means no power to the refrigerator or chest freezer. House inverter batteries are hanging in there. 

For us this meant cancelling a weekend visit to friends in Mao, as we have to be here to run the generator every few hours to save the food in fridge and freezers. 

:(

PS. According to news, 10 plantas went down all at once

The same exact same thing happened in Bani approximately 2 weeks ago. It took EDESUR almost a week to repair the issue. They only repaired it after a mob grabbed an EDESUR employee and threatened him with bodily harm. He repaired the problem in less than 30 minutes. Go figure. Viva La Republica!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Happy to report that electricity came back to our corner of DR, but when it did it damaged a cable from the transformer that serves our area of the road.  Knowing how long it would take edesur to get to fix it, the neighbors took a collection and paid a local electrician to climb up there and repair it.   Batteries charging as I type. 

Heading out to visit cousin and friends near Moncion and Los Armacigos in the morning, a day late and a few pesos shorter.  

One good thing about the day's delay is that we were around to meet irishpaddy, great guy!  The door is always open. 

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Not here.  Matilda tells me Twitter says someone hit wrong switch and blew everything from Romana to Azua. 

They're working on it. So they say. Getting candles ready for tonight

Hay luz in La Romana.  We speak with our friends there every day when out of the country.  Nothing out of the ordinary at the moment.  It is usual for it to go out randomly almost every day now, though.  In central part of the city.  Awful.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I love my solar system. I never notice when the power is out. Also own well and purification systems. So I don't worry about that either.

Hope all is WELL! lol

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I just have to comment after my last post. Ugg. Outside of Sosua area.

Looked out at 5 AM and saw it was dark all around me. I don't know when the elec. went out but Edenorte was out until around 11 am. Oh well. Batteries held until the solar kicked in at around 8am. Gen. did not start.

Just noticed that ... all around me is dark again at before 8 pm with Edenorte out again.

Don't think that my batteries will last for a full 9 or more hours if that is the plan, but the gen. is suppose to kick in as needed. Maybe? It's suppose too? We will see what kicks in first! Ede, Gen or Solar?

No problems.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Had a couple of periods of low voltage near Sosua Abajo in the past hour or so but now holding steady at 115V which is about normal for here most of the time. 

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
ALTER EGO .....I THOUGHT I DROVE OVER A WIRE OR SOMETHING ........glad to hear your back with the lights

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Our friends tell us it is off all day today now in La Romana/Ensanche la Hoz (barrio).

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
ALTER EGO .....I THOUGHT I DROVE OVER A WIRE OR SOMETHING ........glad to hear your back with the lights

If it was between us and the beach, you probably did. All was well when we left early today. Hopefully will still be when we go home in a day or so

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
For all the crap we usually have here in San Pedro, the lights going out today wasn't one of them
Did my laundry, and threw an unexpected bbq. Fun times. Good day. Hay luz.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Good sunny morning? No sun but we have lots of heavy clouds and wind. No ede. but batteries lasted 11.75 hours. Gen. started a little while ago.

We usually don't use much ede. and the gen. starts as needed. But I had changed a few settings so was not sure if all would work as desired. All is good except I don't see much chance of getting some good sun today that will charge the batteries back up.

Have a good one.