Telecable Puerto Plata

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
in the last few months , the service provided by the Musa posse has gone from being simply bad, to flat out atrocious. just about every few days there are complete outages of service, or select channels, or pictures with no sound...you name it.

i would like for someone who knows about these matters to weigh in with some idea as to what is going on. for my part, i think that they have seen stealing the service and reselling it all these years, and that the providers are coming up with more and better ways to thwart them, hence the incessant interruptions. i would like to hear from someone who understands these issues.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't watch local TV, but rather use a combination of IPTV, KODI and downloading various programs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't watch local TV, but rather use a combination of IPTV, KODI and downloading various programs.

i really wish that i had a greater degree of technical literacy in these matters. i am tethered to Telecable for the moment, because i have not figured a way to jettison them. i do not watch local tv programs, but i have to have my main US channels, plus FOX Sports, and ESPN.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i really wish that i had a greater degree of technical literacy in these matters. i am tethered to Telecable for the moment, because i have not figured a way to jettison them. i do not watch local tv programs, but i have to have my main US channels, plus FOX Sports, and ESPN.

Not hard to do with an IPTV box, a "supplier" and sufficient internet bandwidth.

KODI does have a learning curve and can be run on a set top box, PC , tablet or phone.
The IPTV supplier can also be viewed in KODI.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not hard to do with an IPTV box, a "supplier" and sufficient internet bandwidth.

KODI does have a learning curve and can be run on a set top box, PC , tablet or phone.

you might as well have posted that in Cantonese , for all i understand...

Feb 7, 2007

I didn't know this. I thought there were special IPTV boxes required to watch the supplier.
So I can install KODi on my Fire TV (which was one of the reasons to buy it) and then watch supplier's IPTV service there?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I didn't know this. I thought there were special IPTV boxes required to watch the supplier.
So I can install KODi on my Fire TV (which was one of the reasons to buy it) and then watch supplier's IPTV service there?

i have to apply myself to the task of understanding these new tv paradigms, because i get the sneaky suspicion that Telecable POP is not long for the world. yesterday morning at this time the service was down. as we speak, today...same thing. i think they are encountering issues they cannot fudge their way around, and will either have to do the unthinkable and dishonorable thing of actually paying for the feed, or closing down.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
i have to apply myself to the task of understanding these new tv paradigms, because i get the sneaky suspicion that Telecable POP is not long for the world. yesterday morning at this time the service was down. as we speak, today...same thing. i think they are encountering issues they cannot fudge their way around, and will either have to do the unthinkable and dishonorable thing of actually paying for the feed, or closing down.

How fast is your internet connection?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
not fast...just 2mb..however, i can get it jacked up by Claro if you can suggest a way i can get this Telecable monkey off my back...

Your first step is to buy a MAG254 or MAG256 box on Amazon (or anywhere else you prefer)

If you do not have the ability to buy online, I can get it for you and send it up on Metro.

Once you have that box, it's a simple matter to plug into the box your TV, your internet connection and the power cord.

Then I'll guide you through getting a subscription.

Once you do, you'll have 800+ channels (even Jamaica) for about 13 dollars a month.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Your first step is to buy a MAG254 or MAG256 box on Amazon (or anywhere else you prefer)

If you do not have the ability to buy online, I can get it for you and send it up on Metro.

thank you for your help, JD. however, you need to advise me what speed i will need...thank you.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
thank you for your help, JD. however, you need to advise me what speed i will need...thank you.

I was able to connect with 2 gbps, you should be able to as well. But for what it's worth, my 10gbps costs less than my 2 did. Have you spoken to your provider lately?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was able to connect with 2 gbps, you should be able to as well. But for what it's worth, my 10gbps costs less than my 2 did. Have you spoken to your provider lately?

maybe a year ago, so things probably are different now. i will stop in tomorrow and check some prices...maybe 5gb will do it...

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
maybe a year ago, so things probably are different now. i will stop in tomorrow and check some prices...maybe 5gb will do it...

5 would be fine, but I pay less than 2K pesos a month for a fiber optic 10gbps line. Let me know what they say..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Is there no one who can actually answer the original question, why is Telecable so poor ?

well, i suspect that you are a foreigner, and, instinctively, you know the answer. in a place like the USA, there is fierce competition for the consumer dollar. couple that to the American lack of patience with poor service, and you know that providers of all kinds have to be on top of their game, or the customer will go elsewhere. in the DR, there is no real competition, especially in small markets. if you don't want to deal with Claro, you are stuck with Telecable. the station is owned by the Mayor, so you know that nobody else is getting a license to compete with him any time soon. so, he gives you abominable service, thumbs his nose at you, and there aren't many alternatives to which you can resort.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
5 would be fine, but I pay less than 2K pesos a month for a fiber optic 10gbps line. Let me know what they say..

thank you very much for your help. i will investigate the costs and get back to you. i am kinda sick of turning on the channel to watch a Formula 1 race and getting a blank screen because that channel is unavailable that day.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
thank you very much for your help. i will investigate the costs and get back to you. i am kinda sick of turning on the channel to watch a Formula 1 race and getting a blank screen because that channel is unavailable that day.

If we set this up, you'll have the same setup as DirectTV with all the channels. It even looks the same.