Moving to Dominican republic

Ohhvivianaa

Mar 11, 2017
I'll be moving to Dr in a few months. I've been back and forth for the last few months getting everything set up. I have a house in Santiago but am originally from NY . Both of my parents were born in Dr and so was my husband so I'm pretty dominicanized lol. I've been buying some things to ship out for the official move and just wanted to know if they're any suggestions on what to send. I've bought clothes and shoes and basic nessesities, toothpaste, hair products, makeup amoung other things but would like some suggestions on what I can ship that would be cheaper in NY than buying in Dr.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife, who is Dominican, having lived in various parts of Canada for 12 years and travelled extensively to the USA, Europe, South American....etc say quality shoes, socks, nylons, undergarments, clothing, and over the counter medications like Ibuprofen, tylenol, cough medicines, aspirin are the things she notices that are not only harder to get but more expensive. Shoes especially are cheap knockoffs, or very expensive. Bedding is something I would bring.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Items that cost under $200 (bedding, shoes clothing etc) can be purchased online and sent via a mailing service like encargopaq. Most charge by weight for this service. Of course shoes are hard to buy online for fit and you cannot buy quality shoes here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Make friends with a mudanza.....

when you learn later that you need things.... just order it up and it will be on your doorstep....
weight and cost = no problem

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If he hasn't already used his Returning Dominican option, he's entitled to bring in a container of household goods and a car at steep discounts. It's a one time thing. Then if you claim your Dominican citizenship through your parents, you're entitled to it too, but you can't have spent over 6 months in DR in the prior two years before claiming the exemption.

Ohhvivianaa

Mar 11, 2017
If he hasn't already used his Returning Dominican option, he's entitled to bring in a container of household goods and a car at steep discounts. It's a one time thing. Then if you claim your Dominican citizenship through your parents, you're entitled to it too, but you can't have spent over 6 months in DR in the prior two years before claiming the exemption.
6 consecutive months or all together?

Ohhvivianaa

Mar 11, 2017
Make friends with a mudanza.....

when you learn later that you need things.... just order it up and it will be on your doorstep....
weight and cost = no problem
How does shipping normally work here? Other than shipping large boxes myself I've never had anything shipped or mailed

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
How does shipping normally work here? Other than shipping large boxes myself I've never had anything shipped or mailed

You can order items by mail order and have them sent to one of the Dominican companies that have addresses in Miami and ship down to the DR in bulk. It's inexpensive for small, light items. I'm not sure which is the best company for delivery to Santiago, but here on the north coast I use CPS.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Any electronic equipment is best to import, I was told when I shipped my container in 2015 that only 2 of my 5 TV's would be tax free. Solution? I paid the inspector at the port to look the other way, make sure your there when your container is inspected, they WILL take everything out.

My 2 cents.......

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This country had improved a lot in past five years but I still think this advise hold true. If you are shipping container bring everything including kitchen sink.

Any Toyotas including Lexus is going to be money maker when you have to sell them,TVs also fit in this category especially for Samsung 50+ inches. Refrigerator, washer & drier and gas stove doesn't hold their values too well so I would bring what ever that is cheap and have all the necessary functions, ie Ice maker. Unless you bought the house or renting for long term with dish washer i would add portable one for backup. I know with abundance of cheap helpers many dont have time to do dishes but when you have to wash yourself, it will be heavily missed. Microvave and blender is very popular, I would bring at least two each. Small electronics under $150 can be shipped from US throught forwarders so don't worry about those.

Furniture is mixed. I would ship everything used that does not have sentimental value to it. We shipped our first ever big purchase, an expensive bedroomset with king size bed and my wife is still heart broken about let it go...

Martina17

Mar 13, 2017
William hello
Where to find a person here i would like to talk with Mudanza

Envoyé de mon SM-G920W8 en utilisant Tapatalk