Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving to Dominican republic

I'll be moving to Dr in a few months. I've been back and forth for the last few months getting everything set up. I have a house in Santiago but am originally from NY . Both of my parents were born in Dr and so was my husband so I'm pretty dominicanized lol. I've been buying some things to ship out for the official move and just wanted to know if they're any suggestions on what to send. I've bought clothes and shoes and basic nessesities, toothpaste, hair products, makeup amoung other things but would like some suggestions on what I can ship that would be cheaper in NY than buying in Dr.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

TVs are very expensive in the DR

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife, who is Dominican, having lived in various parts of Canada for 12 years and travelled extensively to the USA, Europe, South American....etc say quality shoes, socks, nylons, undergarments, clothing, and over the counter medications like Ibuprofen, tylenol, cough medicines, aspirin are the things she notices that are not only harder to get but more expensive. Shoes especially are cheap knockoffs, or very expensive. Bedding is something I would bring.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    TVs are very expensive in the DR
    ...as are most electronic goods.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Items that cost under $200 (bedding, shoes clothing etc) can be purchased online and sent via a mailing service like encargopaq. Most charge by weight for this service. Of course shoes are hard to buy online for fit and you cannot buy quality shoes here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

bring a micro wave, mixer. toaster. If you like to cook.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Make friends with a mudanza.....

when you learn later that you need things.... just order it up and it will be on your doorstep....
    weight and cost = no problem

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

If he hasn't already used his Returning Dominican option, he's entitled to bring in a container of household goods and a car at steep discounts. It's a one time thing. Then if you claim your Dominican citizenship through your parents, you're entitled to it too, but you can't have spent over 6 months in DR in the prior two years before claiming the exemption.

Admin
    DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    If he hasn't already used his Returning Dominican option, he's entitled to bring in a container of household goods and a car at steep discounts. It's a one time thing. Then if you claim your Dominican citizenship through your parents, you're entitled to it too, but you can't have spent over 6 months in DR in the prior two years before claiming the exemption.
    6 consecutive months or all together?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Make friends with a mudanza.....

when you learn later that you need things.... just order it up and it will be on your doorstep....
    weight and cost = no problem
    How does shipping normally work here? Other than shipping large boxes myself I've never had anything shipped or mailed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast