Sosua , Cabarete or Boca Chica

Vpaul17

Mar 13, 2017
Two guys planing to visit DR, and like to have opinion on which is the best place to from Sosua, Cabarete or Boca Chica. Our goal is to relax at beach, visit local bars and hope to meet local girls.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sosua or costambar :) ha ha.
don't be surprised if the answers are a bit hostile. most posters do not like the subject of "meeting local girls".

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I wouldn't even consider Boca Chica, IMHO it has gone to hell and the only places I stop by in Boca Chica is Boca Chica Marina or Neptune.
Cabarete and to a much higher degree Sosua you will meet plenty of "local girls" but 90%+ are of the pay to play variety especially in Sosua.
Having said that Sosua has a nice beach with older laid back restaurants, while Cabarete is more of a ocean sports beach with lots of Kite Surfing and a more upscale type of restaurants.
The 2 towns are not far apart so you could easily see experience both.
Have fun, don't flaunt your Rolex and use common sense and you should have a great time
ENJOY!

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Sosua and Cabarete gives a bit of a different atmosphere. Sosua beach has a very nice set-up with shadow trees where the restaurants/beach bars are located and a lot of value for the money when it comes to food and drinks. Also several nice dinner restaurants in the town. I like to go to Cabarete on a Thursday and Saturday for a good night out (more enjoyable crowd in my opinion). A few more upscale restaurants in Cabarete and bit more fancy set-up at the beach restaurants/bars in Cabarete. Platinum gym in Sosua is a very nice gym with excellent view over Sosua bay if you fancy working out while on vacation. If you speak Spanish and want to experience more local bar hang-out you can always visit a Sunday afternoon/evening party at the gas station in Sabaneta.

Horace74

Dec 9, 2010
I have been to Boca Chica twice and Cabarete/Sosua 4 times and I will be back next month. I generally like Sosua/Cabarete more than Boca Chica but Boca Chica is close to the capital which has a lot of night life. As the previous poster said, Sosua and Cabarete are so close that it's not an either or.

I wouldn't even consider Boca Chica, IMHO it has gone to hell and the only places I stop by in Boca Chica is Boca Chica Marina or Neptune.
Cabarete and to a much higher degree Sosua you will meet plenty of "local girls" but 90%+ are of the pay to play variety especially in Sosua.
Having said that Sosua has a nice beach with older laid back restaurants, while Cabarete is more of a ocean sports beach with lots of Kite Surfing and a more upscale type of restaurants.
The 2 towns are not far apart so you could easily see experience both.
Have fun, don't flaunt your Rolex and use common sense and you should have a great time
ENJOY!

Excactly what he said

Jul 28, 2014
Stay in Sosua, day trip to (should you feel the desire):

Cabarete - Good strip of beach bars with various specialties/specials , visit Frank12 from this site at Rockys AQUA to get a myriad of stories, HE WONT BORE YOU
Puerto Plata - see below

Some cool places to go/see:

27 puddles/pools - http://www.27charcos.com/index.php
Playa Encuentro - If you dont mind to drive
Brugal Rum Factory - Puerto Plata
Vivonte Cigar Factory & Lounge - Puerto Plata
Malecon - Puerto Plata

On a side note, there are actually a fair amount of good restaurants in Sosua (exhaustive threads on which are the best on this site) as well as "entertainment".

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Two guys planing to visit DR, and like to have opinion on which is the best place to from Sosua, Cabarete or Boca Chica. Our goal is to relax at beach, visit local bars and hope to meet local girls.

Ok, I'll bite... where are you flying from? If you are coming from Canada I would fly into El Catey (AZS) airport and go to Las Terreans. Much nicer beaches than Sosua or Cabarate and some "stimulating" night life.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Ok, I'll bite... where are you flying from? If you are coming from Canada I would fly into El Catey (AZS) airport and go to Las Terreans. Much nicer beaches than Sosua or Cabarate and some "stimulating" night life.

... but not nearly as "stimulating" as Sosua/Cabarete.