Bank account for non Dominican

dinosinc

Mar 3, 2016
I have read that opening a bank account requires a reference letter from you home bank , wondering what kind of information should be included in the reference letter ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The requirements vary from bank to bank. FATCA has made things more difficult as well as the recent crackdown on tourists overstaying their tourist card. From what I've heard, Banco Santa Cruz is one of the easiest ones to open an account with. Go to one of their branch offices and check with them.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The requirements vary from bank to bank. FATCA has made things more difficult as well as the recent crackdown on tourists overstaying their tourist card. From what I've heard, Banco Santa Cruz is one of the easiest ones to open an account with. Go to one of their branch offices and check with them.

As one who had an account there, the Banco Santa Cruz has perhaps the worst customer service I have ever encountered in this country. And that's quite an accomplishment. I gave it a year and closed it.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Funny yesterday i was in a jam and needed to change a 100usd bill for either 50s or 20s. I tried 2 banks and they were too busy texting Fausto and Belkis, and game me the no puedo. It was recommended Santa Cruz, they also had the same no puedo. Nobody here provides customer service. Best thing is to expect **** and you may only get crap.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
I opened one with Banco Popular.  It was a nightmare.  They kept adding documents.  I ended up supplying the following documents.

1.  My Passport
2.  Letter of reference from my US bank
3.  Letter of reference from my employer
4.  Letter of reference from a current Banco Popular personal banking client
5.  Letter of reference from a current Banco Popular business client

I THINK that is all.

joelickshot

Jul 14, 2015
It's true that it differs from bank to bank. With Banco Popular I was told referring letter from existing customer, letter from employers, passport, bank statements from home country. When i tried they wanted more, so I tried another branch which they then told me to simply translate my employment letter, which I done and that was it. Since then I have an account with ban reservas which was the easiest, also my first account was banco Leon. I didn't need anything special other than my passport and an existing customer with me for ban reservas and Banco León. I would advise asking within the branches first, get a list of what you'll need, and then try with all the necessary documents. If your turned away once your there simply keep trying different branches. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
BHD required a long list but they accepted my laat years income tax return, my passport and I showed them my internet acct with the RBC in Canada. Acct opened.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have read that opening a bank account requires a reference letter from you home bank , wondering what kind of information should be included in the reference letter ?

I opened bank account here and the only "LETTER"(s) they made mention of
were M O N E Y and how much of it I would be deposting in to the account every week.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have been using Banco Santa Cruz for 12 years now with no problems and great service. You need a letter from your bank back home basically stating that you are in good standing (no $$$ amounts mentioned), passport and someone with a Cedula to "vouch" for you. Takes about 30 min to open your account.

Bob K

Ohhvivianaa

Mar 11, 2017
I have an account in ban reserves. All they asked for was my passport and I went with my sister in law that already has an account there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
We have been using Banco Santa Cruz for 12 years now with no problems and great service. You need a letter from your bank back home basically stating that you are in good standing (no $$$ amounts mentioned), passport and someone with a Cedula to "vouch" for you. Takes about 30 min to open your account.

Bob K

That's what I've heard, also. Getting an account with Banco Popular or Scocia Bank was a PITA 10 years ago. Worse now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
getting a bank account in a foreign country is hard in many places for a visitor, even if you are a resident (albeit a foreign one).

If you're American, the burden is heavier.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Try this approach. Tell the DR Bank you will be depositing $50,000 US Dollars and see how fast they snap to attention. Ask them to open the account and you wil be wireing in the money over a few month period. Tell them your Premo is Pablo Escobar and he can personally vouch for you. If that doesn't work take your business to another establishment. By the way at this point Interpoll may have a few questions for you. Hide out somewhere between Samana and Las Galeras. You will blend in like a local at a KKK convention. Make sure you have your copy of Spanish for Dummies and plenty of sunscreen. Pay some local women to be your DR wife and stay off the internet and cell phone. Keeping a low profile does not include trying to buy local weed. Live a simple life untill you are so stoned and drunk everyday that the afternoon siesta lasts 6 hours and you wake up naked on the beach with sand in places that a pressure washer couldn't help you with. Does the word "Gringo Loco" describe you and your lack of any dignity and self-worth. You are now ready to go back to the bank and try again to get that allusive account opened. Please get dressed before you go. Thanks, that picture was a little disturbing for most of us. Adios.