pesos

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
i have got pesos and US dollars from my local post office in the uk is it ok to bring them with me as i read somewhere you can not buy pesos anywhere but in the DR,am i likely to lose them at the airport please

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
bring altogether in all your currencies a US$ equivalent of less than ten grand and you will be fine. Just be very aware of your surroundings when walking, driving, traveling as the crime is not as uncommon as you may be accustomed to

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
thank you well under got about 2000 US altogether including pesos so should be ok bringing pounds as well

Aug 6, 2006
Occasionally I have managed to find pesos in Miami at Abbot Foreign Exchange, 230 NE 1st St, Miami call first at 305-374-2336. Several bus rpoutes go down this street, including the 77 that plies NW 7thy Ave. They ALWAYS have Euros, but never tell anyone you want to take Euros to Cuba to beat Fidel's CUC scam. Abbot Foreign Exchange, run by a guy and his wife has a good rate of exchange, DeaK Pereira at the airport and elsewhere in Miami sucks. Usually,. I just take enough DOP back with me to make it to Caribetours, which also has good rates for $DOP to $USD.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Bring everything with you. Your peso's are ok. Exchange the rest when you get here , but not at the hotel or at the airport. If all else fails go to a bank connected with you at home or American Express, Things can be easy here, but be careful who you ask.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I used to carry cash when i flew in but ive learned to just use the atms that are everywhere. The atms generally give you the best rates.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
i have got pesos and US dollars from my local post office in the uk is it ok to bring them with me as i read somewhere you can not buy pesos anywhere but in the DR,am i likely to lose them at the airport please

Put them in your wallet and have a nice day. You can buy DR pesos outside of the DR. Don't know where you got that info?

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
ATMs have a not that great rate, and then they tack on a service charge, so you get fewer pesos for your dollars, Euros or Pancholares.

Not necessarily so. UK banks have multiple banking packages. If you have he right package there are no service charges and an excellent exchange rate.
Mack.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
atm's do NOT give you the best rates.

huh? yes they do. I just literally left bhd leon and I received 47.27 per usd
I just looked at the currency converter and today the peso is at 47.30

there is nothing better than that

plus i use an american bank where i dont pay an atm fees or foreign transaction fees

the atms are easily the best way to go

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
ATMs have a not that great rate, and then they tack on a service charge, so you get fewer pesos for your dollars, Euros or Pancholares.

omg i live here and this is not true. maybe you guys have bad banks but i use charles schaub and i get the best rate available. i just noticed this post is about the north coast and i live in the capitial. maybe thats why its different.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

plus i use an american bank where i dont pay an atm fees or foreign transaction fees

BHD is better than some but ATM's are not the best. I was in BHD not long ago and i get the exchange (calle del sol Santiago) walk across the street to casa de cambio Ruso and get a better rate (as always). If it is a couple hundred bucks i don't bother but more and I make the effort.
I lived over 6 years in the capitol, a few up on the north coast and now a few in Santiago and no bank ATM or going inside has ever been the best rate in town (country).

Aug 6, 2006
Not necessarily so. UK banks have multiple banking packages. If you have he right package there are no service charges and an excellent exchange rate.
Mack.

'
I have no experience with UK banks, because I live in the US.

I know that I can use a Fidelity Debit Card and Fidelity will refund the transaction fees.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I just used my US Citi Bank card to take out money from a BHD ATH in Pto. P. When I checked my Citi account, it converted to 47.27 exactly. That's better than Caribe Express or any bank in Cabarete. In fact, if I had exchanged USD at BHD, they would have only given me 46.7.

For some reason(?), Canadians get absolutely slaughtered exchanging Loonies down here(compared to the official Banco Central rate) whether it be at the ATH, banks, or cambios. I read on another thread that many order pesos through their local Canadian bank before coming down in order to get a better rate. Impossible to do in the US w/o going to a specialty foreign exchange house - and I have no idea how good the rates are there.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I just used my US Citi Bank card to take out money from a BHD ATH in Pto. P. When I checked my Citi account, it converted to 47.27 exactly. That's better than Caribe Express or any bank in Cabarete. In fact, if I had exchanged USD at BHD, they would have only given me 46.7.

For some reason(?), Canadians get absolutely slaughtered exchanging Loonies down here(compared to the official Banco Central rate) whether it be at the ATH, banks, or cambios. I read on another thread that many order pesos through their local Canadian bank before coming down in order to get a better rate. Impossible to do in the US w/o going to a specialty foreign exchange house - and I have no idea how good the rates are there.

Yes I received the same exact exchange. Maybe its just BHD atms but ive always got almost identical exchange rate to whatever the current rate is/was at the time. The only problem is that you are only allowed to withdraw 10,000 pesos at a time. Thats why I was so mind boggled when people say go to those exchange places which always seem to be a rip off. I do know one place here in the capitol that gives an even exchange (on the calle conde) but those places are rare.