Auto Insurance Recommendations

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
A few years ago, I remember reading a thread where people where talking about which Auto Insurance Companies were more likely to pay on claims. I have searched and searched for it but can't find it. Maybe my memory is bad and it wasn't actually here in this forum. But the question is - What Auto Insurance to you recommend? Particularly I am interested to learn from people who have had good experiences when having to make a claim.

Thanks!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Mapfre have a reasonably good reputation here.  They are a Spanish based company and extend coverage to many Latin Am countries.

If you want full cover they will evaluate your vehicle before underwriting it.  You can decide on how much to want to insure it for and how much the deductible will be.

Provided you abide by the terms of the insurance, they will honor the claim without quibble.

They are not the cheapest though.

ElVenao

Mar 16, 2017
I have had insurance with Banesco, Universal, Mapfre... I honestly wouldn't be able to confirm their claim's response as I have been a perfect client from them reporting no claims in over 4 years. I have no doubt that my claims would be answered anywhere as most are reputable companies and I handle my insurance through and insurance broker that has contacts in these companies and they answer to him.

The coverage of Banesco is great for the price that they give, they just started about 3-4 years ago and their prices beat the others. Most of my colleagues have Insurance with Seguros BanReservas which is extremely reputable as well. Mapfre & Universal are good. All in all, based on recommendations and price/coverage I would go with either Banesco or Seguros BanReservas.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have used General de Seguros, Colonial, Universal, Mapfre and BanReservas.

Mapfre was by far the worse I have ever used. After two years of fighting with them and countless emails, they will never see another cent of my money.

Universal is very good, Colonial is not as good as it used to be. I have had BanReservas for the last 5 years.

When all is said it done, the agent you use to handle your insurance is just as important (if not more) that the insurance company you use. That's the person who gets things done.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have had insurance with colonial, for most of our cars, i think. i never had anything more than scratches or small cheap fixes paid out of own pocket because the costs would be few hundred pesos.
miesposo had three small accidents in all those years and the insurance paid all but deductible. the biggest issue was always waiting time since they insisted on using original parts and so on. but we have two cars so it was not much of a bother.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Also keep in mind the 'casa de conductor" component. Many Seguros companies had disagreements with them so they joined forces and created their own version 'Ban reservas" for one. Unfortunately I had to use it and it was no different than the usual DR cluster ****. IMO, I would stick to the ones who still use 'casa de conductor".

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Also keep in mind the 'casa de conductor" component. Many Seguros companies had disagreements with them so they joined forces and created their own version 'Ban reservas" for one. Unfortunately I had to use it and it was no different than the usual DR cluster ****. IMO, I would stick to the ones who still use 'casa de conductor".

you can pay and extra 1800rd for casa de condutor at the casa. they put a casa sticker on your ins. card then you can do the reporting etc there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keep in mind that there is no "Casa" close for those of us on the north coast. Santiago is where you would be, but it still beats the inside of a DR jail if that option is actually available when you pay for it.

is it really available for those of us on the north coast?

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Thank you again for all the information.

I just bought a vehicle and have been working with an agent in Santiago that a friend recommended. I´m not feeling completely comfortable with things and maybe looking to work with someone else.

Does anyone have an agent that they recommend and where are they?

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Indeed I wholeheartedly agree that a good broker will solve any claims that you may have. I use Colonial but my broker was the general manager of Colonial when it started up.

I have used General de Seguros, Colonial, Universal, Mapfre and BanReservas.

Mapfre was by far the worse I have ever used. After two years of fighting with them and countless emails, they will never see another cent of my money.

Universal is very good, Colonial is not as good as it used to be. I have had BanReservas for the last 5 years.

When all is said it done, the agent you use to handle your insurance is just as important (if not more) that the insurance company you use. That's the person who gets things done.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have Mapfre but when we had our accident the autobody shop in Santiago said Mapfre was ok but Universal was quicker and better to deal with, at least for them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have Mapfre but when we had our accident the autobody shop in Santiago said Mapfre was ok but Universal was quicker and better to deal with, at least for them.

I have had Universal for many years. I recommend them highly. Even with the cheap Ley insurance if you have an accident they send a lawyer to court. Of course no collision, means exactly that with anyone.