Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PEX water lines

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PEX water lines

Has anyone here had experience with PEX water supply lines (installing or using them)

Also what are alternatives to using blocks for interior walls? I know drywall, but do they hold up in a high humidity environment? I mean would it require more maintenance than a block wall. 

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not seen PEX pipe used here and virtually nobody uses drywall.  I would never think of using drywall here outside of maybe an office environment where there is constant air conditioning and only then when the cleaning people have been brought in from a first world country. 

3. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Pex is not used here. It requires pex tools that no one will have.

Drywall won't stand up to the high humidity, will promote the growth of mold, requires a vapor barrier and the wood studs you would normally attach the drywall to aren't used because they will rot and get eaten by bugs. 

Do what the natives do. Just do it better. 

5. Likes RG84, ctrob liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw it being used on a high end condo project. Nearly everything being used in that project was imported.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I also saw a renovation that was using those foam walls that have a wired grid/ mesh. The workers where applying a coating of cement or plaster on top. It seemed pretty cool, because it was put together like blocks but the size of panels.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything is possible. Just wait, until someone wants to tie into the pex lines to add a double sink, or a water line needs to be repaired...no pex tool, no pex pipe and no pex connectors readily available as well as very few local plumbers with the knowledge or experience working with pex - some people like to make things difficult for themselves. 

At home, sure, pex is no problem. Here potentially, not so much. 

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    I saw it being used on a high end condo project. Nearly everything being used in that project was imported.

pex or rock? It would be nice if pex was readily available.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    I also saw a renovation that was using those foam walls that have a wired grid/ mesh. The workers where applying a coating of cement or plaster on top. It seemed pretty cool, because it was put together like blocks but the size of panels.
    .......Had a condo in minnesota built that way, they called it drive-it (sp?) the heat retention factor was off the chart..., very good stuff, it was hard to do for the people in usa that did it every day.......in the DR not sure about if they could even build....ask Der Fish, sure he knows.............

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Drive-it is outlawed in a number of states in the US. It was used a lot when it came out, but ended up having a lot of problems. Almost put USG. out of business. I don't think you can even buy it in Calif.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What is PEX, is it different than PE tubes for water supply? I had my pvc pipes changed to PE two years ago. There are stores specialized in that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast