Claro Price Changes

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Claro is at it again. I use them for prepaid internet.

For years I paid 1125 pesos for 5 GB over 60 days.

In January when we got here, they told me that's no longer available, now it's 800 pesos for 3 GB for 30 days. No choice, I took it. Good news is I have LTE in campo, huge improvement. Renewed it in February.

Went Sunday to pay, and now that's no longer available. Only 1 GB for 30 days, for 400 pesos. I took it. Had to download real estate contract from NJ, sold home, did electronic signatures, downloaded twice as we had to sign separately through our emails. 4 hours later I got a message that 1 GB is used up.

Soooooo, from 1125 for 5 GB, I'm now at 400 for 1 GB.

Not a happy camper

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We have their "puck" for mobil 3G for guests on tour that costs $1500 for 5GB for 60 days. Maybe LTE is different. We have to renew by the 27th, so I'll report any changes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have their "puck" for mobil 3G for guests on tour that costs $1500 for 5GB for 60 days. Maybe LTE is different. We have to renew by the 27th, so I'll report any changes.

Let me know, I'm fed up. Could use wifi plug or stick too, I just never asked. Assumed same prices for phone. I should know better

Feb 7, 2007
These are current Claro plans, Prepago por dia:
http://www.claro.com.do/portal/do/sc/personas/internet/internet-movil/#info-02
(click on prepago tab)
Even though the link above says prices without taxes, prepago prices include taxes.

60 day service is bookable, costs 1800 pesos with taxes (30%)
Instead of dealing with reps who may not know everything, do it through the online system - no way for error.

skaAhBFl.png

D9NDVbPl.png

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
If you are staying for several months at a row, you can get a Claro Control plan. Not worth if you are staying less than 4-6 months in a row.

Or just get a Claro Pospago plan and use your data in the USA or other 20 countries as well.
http://www.claro.com.do/wps/portal/do/sc/personas/movil/roaming#info-01b
(click on Postpago y Negocios)
Roaming con destinos incluidos en tu Plan

Utiliza los minutos, Internet y SMS incluidos en tu plan Postpago contratado, para comunicarte desde más de 20 destinos hacia República Dominicana y dentro del mismo destino.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.....I hear mi girl frens constant complaining about claro......always in rapid spanish.....she buys about 1 months minutes, only to have a few days later.....the minutes dissapear? then she called claro for weeks, finally they said, ohh we owe you about 3 months of minutes, then 2 weeks later those minutes dissapear......what a country.......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
(click on prepago tab)
Even though the link above says prices without taxes, prepago prices include taxes.

Instead of dealing with reps who may not know everything, do it through the online system - no way for error]

Well rubio, I learned something. I thought the best thing was to get internet on my phone and use it as a hotspot for wifi on laptop and iPad as needed. I didn't realize the pricing was different. Next go around I'll use their regular internet.

I did buy my packet online this last time, and the highest/longest offered for phone was the 1gb for 400 pesos.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
(click on prepago tab)

Instead of dealing with reps who may not know everything, do it through the online system - no way for error.

skaAhBFl.png

D9NDVbPl.png
There ya go. It's RD$1800, not $1500.

BTW, it works well unless you're on a cell tower that's slammed. But it's 3G, so not the fastest bandwidth. I think they also have a puck for LTE.

We don't use it at Camp Moto, just on the road for guests, or when we need an innerweb connection, since we don't have phones with data plans. 10 devices can connect at one time.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
They do have a mifi puck for 4g. It's white instead of black, and around $20, but some places won't sell it sans contract now. The beauty is that any unlocked LTE internet device will work with Claro, so order one from eBay and just get a prepaid LTE SIM. Gotta tell them LTE, and don't let them give you a 3g and say it's all the same. Only the LTE sim gives LTE speed.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They do have a mifi puck for 4g. It's white instead of black, and around $20, but some places won't sell it sans contract now. The beauty is that any unlocked LTE internet device will work with Claro, so order one from eBay and just get a prepaid LTE SIM. Gotta tell them LTE, and don't let them give you a 3g and say it's all the same. Only the LTE sim gives LTE speed.
We got the 3G puck because 3G coverage is much more extensive in the DR than 4G or LTE. We travel to far corners a lot.

If you're in a solid 4G or LTE area, go for them.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
We got the 3G puck because 3G coverage is much more extensive in the DR than 4G or LTE. We travel to far corners a lot.

If you're in a solid 4G or LTE area, go for them.

The LTE puck downshifts to 3g if required. No reason to exclude it if you don't have anything yet, but to your point, if you have the 3g one already the LTE one may not be the best purchase. Literally in this case, YMMV.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If you are staying for several months at a row, you can get a Claro Control plan. Not worth if you are staying less than 4-6 months in a row.

Or just get a Claro Pospago plan and use your data in the USA or other 20 countries as well.
http://www.claro.com.do/wps/portal/do/sc/personas/movil/roaming#info-01b
(click on Postpago y Negocios)
Roaming con destinos incluidos en tu Plan

Utiliza los minutos, Internet y SMS incluidos en tu plan Postpago contratado, para comunicarte desde más de 20 destinos hacia República Dominicana y dentro del mismo destino.

The Roaming only is good up to 2 months without coming back to the country, after 2 months service is suspended and started to bill regular roaming charges.