Where to find High Density Polyethylene plastic boards

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Hello does anyone have an idea where I can find the thick plastic sheets, similar to those used for hockey boards, on the island? Ive tried all the ferreterias with no luck.
I need something to put on my patio as a lid/seat on a bench which is directly exposed to the elements, Plywood disintegrates within 6 months, even after i glued an acrylic sheet on top of it. 
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello does anyone have an idea where I can find the thick plastic sheets, similar to those used for hockey boards, on the island? Ive tried all the ferreterias with no luck.
I need something to put on my patio as a lid/seat on a bench which is directly exposed to the elements, Plywood disintegrates within 6 months, even after i glued an acrylic sheet on top of it. 

Thanks

I would try to get some of the poly decking that is a plastic and not wood product. You can cut it just like wood and make a very nice bench seat and it is water and mildew resistant. You should be able to find this at a hardware or lumber store.

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Thanks guys, and yes I thought of that but those are usually 2x4 or 2x6 boards, I need a sheet 4' x 8' in order to keep the water from getting into the bench underneath that I use for storage of the pillows etc.  

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks guys, and yes I thought of that but those are usually 2x4 or 2x6 boards, I need a sheet 4' x 8' in order to keep the water from getting into the bench underneath that I use for storage of the pillows etc.  

Get pressure treated plywood and top with the synthetic boards. Problem solved, Your welcome.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Thanks

A fairly cheap, easy cure for your issue if you can't find an acceptable substitute would be to seal the plywood after it has been prepared for installation with polyester fiberglass resin. No cloth needed, but the resin will keep it from rotting for years. The first coat saturates into the wood and the second will fill any pin holes. It won't be really slick either as the woods grain will still be prominent.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A fairly cheap, easy cure for your issue if you can't find an acceptable substitute would be to seal the plywood after it has been prepared for installation with polyester fiberglass resin. No cloth needed, but the resin will keep it from rotting for years. The first coat saturates into the wood and the second will fill any pin holes. It won't be really slick either as the woods grain will still be prominent.
Excellent suggestion.