World Baseball Championship!!!!!!!!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
USA 8 PR 0

First Time for USA. Great Tournament. PR and DR very strong teams. Opening day next week!!!!!!!!!!

USA, USA, USA, ........

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
In Orlando right now and my Dominican Wife was sooo proud and really pushed it in my face when the DR won in the earlier round against the U.S. I told her to wait before crowing too much as the tourney wasn't over yet (and a snide remark that Americans really don't care about this tourney anyway, which is mostly true). Then when the DR was eliminated and the U.S. was in the final her attitude completely changed and she stayed up till past midnight last night to watch the game, cheering every-time the U.S. scored. I asked her why the change and she said she loves the U.S. and hates the Porta Ricans.... too funny !! GOOOOO SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS!!! MAD BUM!!!! JUAN MARICHAL, The Dominican Dandy!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
PR, PR, PR..............................

Mr AE was rooting for PR. When we heard the score this morning, he said it was a shame, because the whole island of PR would be celebrating today..........And that most Americans probably ignored the whole series.

The good aspect of the US win is that it may help publicize it for next year.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
The good aspect of the US win is that it may help publicize it for next year.

I think it is every 4 years.  Most people in the US do not seem to care too much.  Some nights March Madness was going on that is pretty popular.  I think it would be nice if everyone sent their best players and winning it became a bigger deal.  I enjoyed the games that I watched and I don't watch a lot of baseball.  

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I think it is every 4 years.  Most people in the US do not seem to care too much.  Some nights March Madness was going on that is pretty popular.  I think it would be nice if everyone sent their best players and winning it became a bigger deal.  I enjoyed the games that I watched and I don't watch a lot of baseball.  

There you go..... Typical American here, baseball fan, I had no clue it wasn't annual.

It should be the REAL World Series.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
If all the best U.S. players played it would be a landslide. No Mike Trout,Bryce Harper,Mooky Betts,etc... And NONE of the top U.S. pitchers played.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
If all the best U.S. players played it would be a landslide. No Mike Trout,Bryce Harper,Mooky Betts,etc... And NONE of the top U.S. pitchers played.

If I owned a team I would make sure my top paid players could not play in the WBC. I want them at Spring Training. No idea if that language exists in contracts.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
If I owned a team I would make sure my top paid players could not play in the WBC. I want them at Spring Training. No idea if that language exists in contracts.

Yep the players need to get the OK from the clubs to play. For instance we played Hensley Jansen (closer) for just one inning in the semi-final against PR, even though we could have used him for innings 9 and 10. It was agreed Hensley could only play the one inning in that particular game.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I agree. I was just pointing out the fact that they did not play regardless of the reason.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
It should be the REAL World Series.

You are so right! The "World Series" leaves out all of the Caribbean, Israel, & Japan: anywhere else except North America. It should be "World."

Maybe if I ever get a job with Pedro's foundation, I can guide the mission to include this. :D

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Well, a contract is a contract and an agent is an agent and advisors are advisors and I am sure that a lot of "top" North American players got advice not to do it.

Having said that, the enthusiasm of the ones who did was just so wicked cool. I thought it was great baseball and I was so glad I could watch it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, a contract is a contract and an agent is an agent and advisors are advisors and I am sure that a lot of "top" North American players got advice not to do it.

Having said that, the enthusiasm of the ones who did was just so wicked cool. I thought it was great baseball and I was so glad I could watch it.

i am wondering about the commercial value of such a tournament. when there is the World Cup soccer tournament, all the very best players in the world represent their countries. just like the Olympics. people watch the games to see them play. with this series of games, it is mainly a collection of second stringers who get to represent their countries. some of us are just not enough into baseball to sit and watch three hours of grade B baseball.