Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Best Gas Stove??

In purchasing a gas stove, we are between a rock and a hard place. The choice is between unknown Latin American entities and U.S.A. aka "Made in China." I am referring here to a stand alone gas stove with oven as opposed to a portable burner. The latter can be dangerous if it is not set on a very solid foundation. The former accomplishes this purpose.

I bought a CETRON. After one month, one burner stopped functioning. No biggie. Three burners work fine. Three years later another burner has failed. Two burners left. When the next burner goes, time for shopping. A family friend also had problems with this brand.

Can anyone recommend, based on EXPERIENCE, a gas stove that has longevity and does not break??
    Last edited by Lucas61; 03-27-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: grammar errors

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

buy a US stove they have thermostats, and what make you think they are all made in China?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a cetro with six burners about six months ago. So far there have been no problems. However, the burners are taken apart every week and cleaned.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas61 View Post
    In purchasing a gas stove, we are between a rock and a hard place. The choice is between unknown Latin American entities and U.S.A. aka "Made in China." I am referring here to a stand alone gas stove with oven as opposed to a portable burner. The latter can be dangerous if it is not set on a very solid foundation. The former accomplishes this purpose.

I bought a CETRON. After one month, one burner stopped functioning. No biggie. Three burners work fine. Three years later another burner has failed. Two burners left. When the next burner goes, time for shopping. A family friend also had problems with this brand.

Can anyone recommend, based on EXPERIENCE, a gas stove that has longevity and does not break??
    Here is what I have done in the past.

Buy it at Sears in Miami.

Have a mundanza pick it up for you still in the box and have it shipped to your door.

Here is a good deal currently running at Sears;

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-4.2-cu-...52179_11042411

Use a coupon code of SEARS35OFF300 and the price drops to $363.99

Good luck.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As PC said ,buy it in the US, have it shipped here and make sure it is set up for propane!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree, ok stuff can be found here in the dr, even in the campos and its a stove....... not exactly high-end technology.

I have a nedoka (?) , brand i had never heard of.
    6 burner top.   Its on the large size stove. ( large oven and bottom seperate grill/ pizza place ).
    6 or 7 years old and going strong.
    But i grease the " moving " parts or they go squeaky.
    Also the burners are taken off and cleaned twice week ( well that should be done on any brand anyway, no1 wants grease around there, i would think ).
    And it was cheap(ish), around 25k pesos i think.
    Oh and its in the outside kitchen, so its dominican proof
    Used every day, multiple times a day.

In the inside kitchen i have a teka oven. This one is incastrated and comes in 2 pieces ( ie, the oven and the burners ).
    Its a "show-off" kind of thingy. Made to look nice. Hardly ever use it.
    But its been there ten years and is still working.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

we have a frigidaire purchased in pricesmart for 27k or 28k pesos. piece of crap. the oven door hinges got damaged (i bake several times a week) and had to be changed and the temperature does not go over 200 C. in theory it should go to 250 but in reality it never does, no matter how long i run it (i have separate oven thermometer).

so this year we decided to go all out and got a viking. it's coming later this week. i hope this one will last and perform well.

i wonder if the temperature issue could be down to gas (type and quality)? i'd like 250 C to properly bake my sourdoughs (they come out tasty and great inside but the crust is too pale.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Brush the crust with egg whites.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

When we went shopping for a new stove 5 years ago, I found an American brand that I liked. Got to talking to the salesman and he recommended a brand I'd never heard of, Acros, made somewhere in Central America if I recall correctly. I asked him why, and he showed me the burners, how that brand was heavier and larger metal, came off easily for cleaning, etc. Four regular burners and a large, oval, fifth burner in the middle with a griddle. It was less expensive too, so it wasn't he wanted a higher commission.

It's been over 5 years, most of the cooking done on it by Dominicans, and I have no regrets. Well, two small points....Only one rack in the oven, and the temperature gauge is off. When I bake or roast, I have to set it 25-50 degrees higher.

http://www.acros.com.mx/
    Last edited by AlterEgo; 03-27-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Add link

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that baking with gas stoves ( as opposed to electric ) is a tad more complicated.
    The heat diffuses much less....... so more heat coming from the bottom.
    A dish full of water placed in the stove makes it easier for pastries and stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast