Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yet another chef knife casualty..

I recently got back from a two month visit to the states. When I got back I ask my lovely if she knew where my chef knife was~the one I had had for about ten years. It took about three days for her to fess up that she had accidently destroyed it while trying to crack open a coconut with it! Oops. It took another two days for her to finally show me the remains. I spent six months keeping it out of reach telling them it wasn't like the dollar store knives here. This was a beautifully forged knife made in Korea using Japanese metal and an excellent curve. I used to regularly cut 200- 400 pounds of produce a day with it during my chef days. She must have put a chip in the edge at some point, then took it to be "sharpened" using a bench grinder. This immediately took off the brittle hardened steel core, leaving it no sharper than a butter knife. I would have taken the thing with me, but I got a cheap ticket and couldn't check the thing. It's a hard loss.

2. Likes davetuna liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe about time to look for a new lovely?

4. Likes Commander Ooh La La, USN liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Start a new love affair........

with a new knife................... or wife !!

hahaha
    go for the knife ..........

Moderator 🀑 Clown Bin
    Post Thanks / Like

My lovely showed me a defected knife we had, the handle mysterious separated from the blade one day.

✨🀢✨ Season's Greetings βœ¨πŸŽ…βœ¨

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't post photos now? Snapped the blade in half.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    I recently got back from a two month visit to the states. When I got back I ask my lovely if she knew where my chef knife was~the one I had had for about ten years. It took about three days for her to fess up that she had accidently destroyed it while trying to crack open a coconut with it! Oops. It took another two days for her to finally show me the remains. I spent six months keeping it out of reach telling them it wasn't like the dollar store knives here. This was a beautifully forged knife made in Korea using Japanese metal and an excellent curve. I used to regularly cut 200- 400 pounds of produce a day with it during my chef days. She must have put a chip in the edge at some point, then took it to be "sharpened" using a bench grinder. This immediately took off the brittle hardened steel core, leaving it no sharper than a butter knife. I would have taken the thing with me, but I got a cheap ticket and couldn't check the thing. It's a hard loss.
    cracking open a coconut with a chef's knife...

all righty then..

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You should have bought here a small colin before leaving, the campo's chef knife.

10. Likes MerengueDutchie liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my MIL a butcher knife that is like a giant bowie knife and has considerable heft to it. I also got a good can opener and taught the maid how to use it, and she now prefers it to any knife. Coconuts are cut with a machete. I feel for you Peter, but hardly a relationship breaker.

12. Likes MerengueDutchie liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post

Shave your face with her razor a few times, pay back is a bi7ch...

14. Likes jd426, ROLLOUT liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

how do you get up with fleas? and you act surprised.

16. Likes jd426, DR1Admin liked this post
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast