JJSK -Pic gallery

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Nice looking pic! Is that an authentic East Indian outfit.
If it is you might want to drop in at Hotel Fior di Loto in Juan D'Olio sometime.
Mara is a real Yoga master, her place is decorated east indian style and she has these fabulous Indian Feasts once a month with Great Indian Food.
I've just sent "WUD" a pic of one of the parties with me in it! And yes we do "belly" dance at the feasts.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
cool

thanks for the info, MommC, I will have to put that on my wish list for the next time I get to travel to the DR :)
I guess you could say it's an "authentic" outfit, straight from Gerrard St in Toronto (the best "little India" in North America IMHO). That's actually a wedding pic, my husband and I had 2 weddings, one "Canadian style" and one "Pakistani style" (got to keep both sides of the family happy!).
If I make it to one of those feasts, I'll bring some mehndi and hit them up for a job as their resident artist... :)

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Another one for you jjsk

There is an Indian restaurant just east of Cabarete off the highway to Mocha (sp) called the Blue Moon, not far from Sabaneta. Located up on a hill, it is a little complex with a few scattered buildings, a swimming pool, and a round hut.

Min reservation is 8 people, I believe it is 250RD plus beverages, per person. It is run by an Indian woman. You sit on cushions in a circle in the palm-roofed hut with nothing but the noise of the stars and the moon as you eat of a banana leaf with your hand (right hand please!). Several course meal of "authentic" (I put that in quotes since I have no idea if it really is, but it just seems like it HAS to be!) Indian food and stories behind each dish, the way you sit, etc etc.

A lovely evening. We will be back there next week with our friends from Canada, I will take some pics to post.

marc

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Where on Gerrard???? I might make it there when I get back to Canada.
The first time Mara had her Feast we did the sitting on the floor, banana leaf, right hand stuff but now in defference to us older folk we sit at tables, eat off a dish and have a spoon. However the food is great! and we always have a lot of fun!!!

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
How did I miss that one

Lived there 10 years. Still go back every couple of months. And I never knew about the Indian restaurant in Cabarete.

JJSK. I got some real atta and had rotis and chicken curry last night. Also had raita, and kheer after the meal.

I come from North India. So I get the same food as you get in Pakistan and the best part is that AZB and me also speak the exact same language.

We had a friend come over to DR once from India. Both of us had to speak to him in English as whatever he spoke was not understood by either of us.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
thanks Marc, cool info, I wish I had heard about those places before I went to the DR...!

HaHa Jane! :D A girl can't bhangra without her lengha!

MommC, it's Gerrard East, 1100 numbers and up. Easiest way is to take a cab, it's not really walkable from downtown (Eaton Centre area) too far... Ask a cab to take you to about 1100 Gerrard east, then get out and walk the area, up one side and down the other, lots of great sari shops, music stores, buy barbecued corn from a street vendor and try some paan in one of the filthy little holes in the wall! :D

Missing, did you cook the food yourself?
I have the best secret to making a good raita (very simple! but nobody loves it like I do...my hubby prefers his achar -yuck!). We went over to friends' house on Saturday and brought some mathai, but nobody liked them... :( <sub> that's o.k., more for us!</sub>

:) Damn, you guys think there might be a market for a mehndi artist in the DR?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
So where in Juan D'Olio were you missing_dr??? Did you know Peter Miranda of the mini golf?
Mara's been there for at least 9 years however the decor is new to the past 7!
Indian feasts for the last 5. There's usually people of Indian or Pakistani origin around (right now -two staying at the hotel and a third that comes to visit every week or so on his day off. Mara is working on her Hindi and she reads quite a bit of sanskrit!
I don't know much about Indian/Pakistan food but I sure do like curry (especially the HOT stuff). Mango chutney is really good, even my fussy eater aka Italian husband likes the chapaties when there's someone of origin there to make them for the feast.
I often bring Patak's (oh Lord I can't remember what they're called- lentil flat like tortilla things that you cook) from Canada for Mara when I come. I also bring her kilos of all the major spices, fresh from Canada, every year.
To JJSK.....oh I know where the east side of Gerrard is (though most of the time I'm on the west side when in TO). Maybe I can pick up some bindi there for Mara. My poor little town doesn't have any left......I've bought them all to bring to her!!!!

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
MommC, those flat things are called pappadums; kinda like giant potato chips (only not make from potatoes, and with spices in them -- they really stink when they're cooking, but if you spread just a light brush of oil on them, you can do them in the toaster...)
:)

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Mehendi artist...sure

JJSK,

I am sure there is a market. What you can do is hook up with one of the saloons for a start then go your own way and start a mehendi saloon yourself.

You could start a new fad there. Of course AZB can get you clients!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
JJSK...

On my last trip to PP, at the resort where I stayed there was a guy from Yugoslavia by the pool, doing Henna tattoos...and everyone had them on!!!

He told me he used to be an electrician, but people didn't pay him for the jobs he did...so a friend convinced him to try the tattoo stuff, and now he was making more money everyday than he ever did before...

I think what he does is pay the hotel some kind of fee for using a table by the pool, and everybody enjoys his tattoos...They're not expensive...last for almost 2 weeks...

I think mehndi is a lot prettier and I'm sure you could make a lot of money...

If I knew how to do it, I'd probably wouldn't look for a regular job...

Just a palm tree in a beach somewhere, with a little portable table, the mehndi and some beautiful designs...and just have fun!!!

Henna

Do it yourself Henna: Received instruction from Henna person via email, on how to do it yourself.

First you need to make the Henna paste. You can buy the powdered henna from some health food shops, or you can buy the paste already mixed. I find that I get a better result with the powdered henna that you make yourself. If you are buying the powder, make sure you buy plain powdered henna, NOT the henna that is used for hair dye, as they put extra stuff in there to make it different colours.

To make henna paste:
This is one recipe I have seen for henna paste. Mix about 2 teaspoons of henna powder (depending on the amount of paste you want), add to it enough VERY strong tea to make a paste (about the consistancy of toothpaste). Add to that a few drops of eucalyptus oil and a few drops of clove oil. (the clove oil will darken the dye) I have also seen a recipe that says to put a few drops of lemon juice in the paste. Mix , and leave sit for 8 hours.

To apply the henna paste:
You can use an icing bag (with a tiny nozzle), or you can make one from a plastic freezer bag. I actually use a syringe that I bought with a refill kit for my printer cartridge it works well because the needle part is big enough to let the henna through, but small enough to give a fairly fine line. You can also use a paintbrush or a bamboo stick to apply the paste with. Cover the area with mehendi oil (available where you buy henna paste in a tube) or make an oil out of vegeatble oil mixed with a few drops of eucalyptus oil and 1 drop of clove oil. They say to start at the middle of the design, and work your way out. You can also buy stencils that can be re-used from some places.

Let the paste come out in a fairly thick line , the henna will disappear as it dries, so make sure there is enough paste on your skin. Once the henna has dried (about 10 mins) gently dab it with a cotton ball with a solution of equal parts sugar. water and lemon juice. This helps stop the paste falling off, and helps to darken it.

How long to leave the paste on:
Leave this paste on for at least 4 hours...8 is best. I like to do mine at night, and then when it has dried, I bandage the area and go to bed. The longer you leave the paste on, the darker the design will be. Do not wash the paste off, instead pick it off, or let it fall off naturally. Once the henna has come off, apply some more of the vegetable/eucalyptus oil mixture, and try not to get the tattoo wet for 12 hours. (Try not to get it wet as much as possible, you can cover it in vaseline or if it is on your hands try to wear rubber gloves when your hands are going to get wet). As this is only staining the top layers of skin, the more gentle you are with the skin (no digging in sand etc.) the longer it will last.

When you first take the paste off, the colour will probably be a yellow/orange brown colour. This should deepen in about a day. The fresher the henna, and the longer you leave it on will give a darker red/brown, and older henna, or henna not left on long enough will give an orange/brown colour.

If you make a mistake:
SPEED is important, as soon as the paste touches your skin it will start to dye it, so as soon as you make a mistake wash or scrape off the henna. If you get sick of the design, wash it more frequently, with a body scrub, and that will make it wash off faster.

How long will it last:
This depends on where you put it. The palms of the hands and soles of the feet last the longest and give a darker colour... this should last about 3-4 weeks if you care for the tattoo. Other areas last between 1-2 weeks, again depending on how careful you are with them. Avoid scratching the tattoo, or getting it wet, and try not to actually wash the area with soaps and it will last longer.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Pappadums!

That's the word!!! knew I knew it started with a "p" but it just couldn't get past the ole brain membrane. I like the ones with the peppercorn in it and I deep fry mine. Make 'em puff up!Mmmmm!
Mehndi tattoes were all the rage here last year- might be able to make some pesos doin' em.