UBER in Punta Cana??????

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Being in Punta Cana now and have Uber on my phone I tried for a pickup. It showed the map but could not get any pick up. I would assume it is not available in Punta Cana.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I doubt it'll ever be. The 2 taxi companies in the area have the monopoly and are very jealous. If they believe someone is taking clients away from them, they won't hesitate to stop the vehicle on the highway and threaten the driver with bats and machetes until the clients change vehicle. Been like this for many years.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Until the Dominicans figure out how to "Game " the system, and push the Prices up ..I'm not that overly familiar with Uber, and am very neutral on it , but does Uber not have that ridiculous " Surge pricing" , when it is very busy ? like they do here in the usa for even simple Airport Runs
So in effect you could be paying DOUBLE for a Fare, lets say when a bunch of planes come in at same time, or when THEY figure out and feel like creating a shortage of Cars... very simple to do ,they ALL JOIN UBER.. and create an artificial Shortage ..Anytime they choose.
If they can stick together the way described above , they can certainly pull that little Monopoly Charade off at an Airport .
If anyone can do it , the Dominicans Can .
just my .02

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed jd.... I have had better, faster service in NYC with the Yellow Taxis.
My Uber addicted children were in disbelief.....

an aside
I am from a die casting family....zinc, aluminum and magnesium.....

We took FoMoCo into magnesium (at their request) after the 1970's oil embargo when they were reducing vehicle weight.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The taxi companies claim they have arrangements with the resorts. A friend owns a transport company, and me and my friends had issues with him picking us up at the resort because the taxi drivers complained to resort management.

One thing I've been told is that the color of the taxi drivers' shirts is the route they work. So even among themselves they divvie things up.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The taxi drivers do have arrangements with the resorts in Punta Cana. For example in the Hard Rock any Taxi can drop off, but only some can pick up.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I'm pretty sure they will get to Punta Cana sooner or later. Nobody thought it would catch on in the capital, and in truth there are reports of Uber drivers being chased off the airport. But Uber is a mighty organisation with far more money and power than a taxi syndicate here and I don't think they are used to failing. In Santo Domingo they have had their problems, put the prices down, then up, then down again, then up again, drivers walked out in droves, quite a lot of issues. But they've recently introduced the UberMotos and it feels like they are here to stay.

The thing is that everyone who works for Uber is independent. If a driver is threatened in Punta Cana, so what, maybe that driver leaves, but there will still be plenty of others to take his place. So I reckon it will get there soon.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Uber has more money but they sure as hell don't have more power than the taxi unions here,no way.

We heard the same about the SDQ taxi unions, how they have a million people in yellow shirts at the airport and they come at competing cabbies with machetes.... Yet uber does fine there.

The issue is resorts are going to ban uber, and in many of the resorts the entrance is a large trek from the taxi pickup, and tourists aren't going to want to walk it.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
when i fly into punta cana the taxi ride to the bus station is $20. uber would likely be less than half that. i doubt uber will make it to punta cana airport

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The taxi drivers do have arrangements with the resorts in Punta Cana. For example in the Hard Rock any Taxi can drop off, but only some can pick up.

Having lived here a while, I have to ask if this arrangement is with the resorts chains, individual resorts, the individual managers, the bellhops, or Cestur? I'd love to see if the paperwork consists of anything more than palms getting greased.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Having lived here a while, I have to ask if this arrangement is with the resorts chains, individual resorts, the individual managers, the bellhops, or Cestur? I'd love to see if the paperwork consists of anything more than palms getting greased.

These contracts are with the resorts themselves, not any employees working there.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
So if Uber got an arrangement with whatever group is over all the Barcelo properties (for instance), we could sell tickets *and* popcorn to watch things unfold. Though arriving guests might not find it entertaining at all.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.........Just flew out of punta cana airport 2 days ago........if ever a place in the DR needed uber, punta cana is it...........I think just a mater of time.......anyway those taxi guys and moto concho drivers in Bavaro are real vultures, they are bothering you all the time.......Doc............