Safety Helmets

SteveK

Jan 23, 2011
Seems whenever my wife calls her family in the DR, we get tragic news of one of her family members being killed in a motorbike accident. Is it mandatory to wear safety helmets? The reason why I bring this up is because of my travels down there, I don't see any safety helmets being worn! If they were helmets, it MAY save lives! So sad to hear such tragic news..

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Safety helmets!! There are guys that consume 5 beers and a half bottle of rum and put their wife and child on a moto and set off on a dark road at night with absolutely not lights.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Machismo culture over rules common sense. First custom change to new moto is remove rear view mirrors so you can squeeze between cars and look cool. Not going to change. My most favorite move is when you nearly hit a moto with a large car and motor guy laughs hilariously. Highways in DR are a slaughterhouse.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
It's sad but true. An actual motorcycle helmet that will protect in a serious crash isn't cheap, but even the few motos that wear some version of a helmet is better than nothing. As mentioned the machismo, combined with the lack of driving/safety education that exists here and it's a recipe for disaster.  

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Short answer is yes helmets are mandatory, but enforcement is lax. The police will lean on motoconcho drivers because they can afford to slip them a few pesos. Every now and then I see a flatbed loaded with decrepit motos seized by the police. It's more of a PR exercise than enforcement. I've been riding bikes for over 50 years. There is no way in hell I would drive or use a moto in the DR. Driving here in rental cars is bad enough. 

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Seems whenever my wife calls her family in the DR, we get tragic news of one of her family members being killed in a motorbike accident. Is it mandatory to wear safety helmets? The reason why I bring this up is because of my travels down there, I don't see any safety helmets being worn! If they were helmets, it MAY save lives! So sad to hear such tragic news..

For sure it saves lives. Meanwhile some of our dominican friends changed their mind and are using helmets.
And not only on those days when they know (rumor is working perfect) that there are controls (beeing without
helmet in this case means, the motos will be confiscated and only released with paying a fine).
No, our friends realized finally that a helmet could save their live or protect against subsequent damage in their life after an accident.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sorry for your loss...When your in big city you will see more wear helmets even full face ,in small towns North coast some wear baseball helmets or proper helmets on their elbows to put on if they pass AMET...you can't teach stupid... best one ...it's law for driver to wear seatbelt who cares about occupants..

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
how can you expect the idiots riding on a motorbike to wear a helmet when the police don't even wear helmets and that includes members of amet
just think how much money could be raised and problems solved by handing out fines for not wearing a helmet and having a 5 peso deposit on plastic and glass bottles

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Today http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...ores-y-peatones-de-cinco-provincias-DE6666126

“Estamos instruyendo al personal para que actúen en estricto cumplimiento a la ley para que los motociclistas utilicen el casco protector”, reiteró el director de la AMET en cada una de las visitas.

Let's wait and see if his words have conviction.

The fine is 1000rd by the way for not wearing a helmet......passenger too I believe.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I agree that wearing helmets saves lives but it goes far beyond no helmets. Try a family of 4 on a motorcycle (dominican for minivan), no lights and driving like an idiot/maniac.
Don't hit one of these Aholes riding without any lights because if you hit one it is ALWAYS your fault (especially for an extranjero).
I would love to ride a legit bike on the north coast or up the mountains from Jarabacoa to Constanza but I think in this country riding a bike is like saying "God please take me now".

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
2ns73aa.jpg

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Dominicans haven't been to war with anyone for a very long time.  They have no natural predators, no great epidemics or famine, yet they breed like rabbits.

We need these helmetless moto riders to keep the population in balance.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
yus, mandatory.............but no driving/riding test needed for motos.......kids just jump on them and go. dont have any cash.........

You hit it on the head. Many drive with no license or insurance. They learn by doing it and bad habits are everywhere. There are few safety concerns and no courtesy to other drivers or pedestrians. The law of the road in the DR is the biggest vehicle has the right of way and you better either move over or get out of the way.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would love to ride a legit bike on the north coast or up the mountains from Jarabacoa to Constanza but I think in this country riding a bike is like saying "God please take me now".
We do it all the time. We've been doing it for 10 years now, hundreds of guests, hundreds of thousand of miles on real motorcycles.

One guest accident and it was fairly minor.

The DR is an exhilarating place to ride motorcycles...IF you know what you're doing.

The DR has several world-class mountain roads. And I agree: the road between Jarabacoa and El Rio is spectacular!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Statistically, 80% of motorcycle accidents happen at night, and 80% of those involve alcohol.

There are ways to mitigate risks while riding motorcycles in the DR.

Jul 28, 2014
I still laugh when I see a girl on the back riding side saddle staring into her Sasun galasee, not even remotely caring, or paying attention, also without helmet.