Bandits posing as police at checkpoints

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have heard lately that there is a gang from navarette robbing people on campo roads  they pull over for checkpoints . My suggestion is that if it is in a deserted area, and you don't see a police car,  turn around and get away before u get there.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If there are no uniformed people with M16 assault rifles, then keep going.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Odd that this was posted today. Coming home from Santo Domingo yesterday, we came along a quiet section of road, trees on both sides, no houses, nothing. No other cars anywhere. And for the first time in 40 years on that road we see two cops and a motorcycle up ahead. One stayed with the bike, the other stood in the road and waved his hand for us to stop.

I said "what do they want?" And Mr AE said "what do you think?". We slowed down and I looked over at the bike and was glad to see it did have the Policia Nacional markings.

Stopped next to first guy, rolled down window, guys bends down to see us both, says "Buenos tardes" and Mr AE replied. Then he asked if we were going to the beach and Mr AE told him no, we were going home. He smiled, straightened and told us to have a nice day.

As we drove away, I said that could have ended very differently, look around, no cars, houses, not even a cow.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
reportedly, PN and the army are throwing additional men on the streets in an attempt to combat the crime, including swat, topos and lince. so expect more checks, more roadblocks and more uniforms.

i'm not fond of "do not stop" advice. there have been cases the vehicles that did not stop were shot at and occupants killed.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Odd that this was posted today. Coming home from Santo Domingo yesterday, we came along a quiet section of road, trees on both sides, no houses, nothing. No other cars anywhere. And for the first time in 40 years on that road we see two cops and a motorcycle up ahead. One stayed with the bike, the other stood in the road and waved his hand for us to stop.

I said "what do they want?" And Mr AE said "what do you think?". We slowed down and I looked over at the bike and was glad to see it did have the Policia Nacional markings.

Stopped next to first guy, rolled down window, guys bends down to see us both, says "Buenos tardes" and Mr AE replied. Then he asked if we were going to the beach and Mr AE told him no, we were going home. He smiled, straightened and told us to have a nice day.

As we drove away, I said that could have ended very differently, look around, no cars, houses, not even a cow.

glad it went smoothly for you

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

... a cow would have been a prevention of something bad happening?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
... a cow would have been a prevention of something bad happening?

It depends on the breed.

a-314.jpg

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I recall encountering a road block on the quietest section of road between Cotui and Pimental just after passing the Rio Camu bridge a few years back.

There were a couple of PN and a few others with them and it looked suspicious late afternoon on a Sunday as I was heading to Las Terrenas via Nagua (the old route from Santo Domingo to Samana before Juan Pablo 2 for those that know this route). There was zero opportunity to turn around and I doubt if that would have been a good idea. It was as remote as it could be on that road.

I was alone and my Spanish was iffy. So I chose to speak English only. I was clearly not of interest and was waved on. Only to be accosted a half mile further on the road by the guy that fills the pot holes and he was worth a 25 peso coin that day.

I hold the opinion that whilst foreigners are seen as an opportunity by PN for a few extra pesos, we are a protected species too. Too much hassle if things go wrong. However delinquents are a different proposition and it is best to be able to quickly identify who represent the dangerous encounters.

Last edited:

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
So much easier to drop a few hundred pesos then to get into a " you know who I know" argument with a chap that has a 9th grade education and the machismo of a 19 year old.

I didn't stop once and there was a second group not far from the first so they blocked the roadway so I had to stop. They asked my why I didn't stop and asked for Id and I think I gave them 500 pesos and off I went.  They were more serious but it wasn't really a big deal  I still say if you can, don't stop.  :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The issue is that once you are stopped, surrounded and the negotiation begins, there are no guarantees that the end result will be a "few hundred" pesos resolution. When you play the corruption game, sooner or later you will encounter someone who does not play by the established "rules" and then it's too late for a "do-over". 

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Stopped this morning at the entrance to the freeway to Santo Domingo coming from Jarabacoa. Well lit area polite young PN. Where arw you going where do you live what is your profession have a nice day.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
The issue is that once you are stopped, surrounded and the negotiation begins, there are no guarantees that the end result will be a "few hundred" pesos resolution. When you play the corruption game, sooner or later you will encounter someone who does not play by the established "rules" and then it's too late for a "do-over". 

I have been " greasing" the wheels for years, never had a problem. If you do it discreetly and not like you are throwing your weight around it will almost always result in a smile and a handshake. Further, I am not convinced that they look at getting a few hundred pesos as illegal / corruption. Otherwise every last one from the General's down would be guilty.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've been driving here many decades. We've been stopped from time to time, and it's mostly been as I described above or exactly like Bob Saunders experienced today. Only twice were we asked obliquely for money - one guy said it was his birthday and he didn't have money for a cake, and the other, after looking at Mr AE and asking if he was military and getting a "no", said he was hungry and could we help buy him breakfast.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
We've been driving here many decades. We've been stopped from time to time, and it's mostly been as I described above or exactly like Bob Saunders experienced today. Only twice were we asked obliquely for money - one guy said it was his birthday and he didn't have money for a cake, and the other, after looking at Mr AE and asking if he was military and getting a "no", said he was hungry and could we help buy him breakfast.

Lol.. Birthday .. I have heard that a few times.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Stopped this morning at the entrance to the freeway to Santo Domingo coming from Jarabacoa. Well lit area polite young PN. Where arw you going where do you live what is your profession have a nice day.

Probably the first signs in your area of the current action.

The joint military and police operation is very evident in Santo Domingo with road blocks in numerous locations and this by accounts extends elsewhere in the country. We've encountered them this morning along Av Independencia and there are plenty of patrols near Centro De Heroes and the university nearby.

Apparently numerous arrests are being made and illegal weapons are being found. They are checking vehicle documentation to include licenses and insurance and confiscating motos and vehicles without proper documentation. They are checking for illegal guns. The Hoy article lists where some of the checks have been taking place in the capital and beyond.

http://hoy.com.do/militares-han-ocupado-decenas-de-armas-detienen-cientos-en-operativos/

The government has stated these actions will be continuous so we should all expect to encounter these road blocks and patrols in the coming days if travelling.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...-dice-plan-contra-delincuencia-sera-incesante

It is best that everybody respects these road blocks. Turning away or ignoring a request to stop might provoke the wrong reaction from a PN/military task force that has already according to news reports shot persons ignoring demands to stop in Santiago and Mao in the last 24 hours.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have been stopped a few times over the few years I have been going to d.r. .....mostly asked a question or two and waved on ...a few times outright asked for money as in " mucho hambre " I gave 100 /200 pesos and waved on and one time where I was stopped on the malecon in santo domingo as I was returning from boca chica about 5.30 in the evening ...the first cop tried to get me to drive down a side street ...he was joined by a number of cops..I refused because I thought it would be unsafe to do so ...I wanted to be seen ..he kept insisting that I pull down the side street and saying you have a lot of problems ...I had done nothing wrong ..even had my seat belt on and had not been on the cell phone ...eventually I was able to call someone I knew and they asked me to hand the phone to the cop ...as soon as the cop put the phone to his ear he threw it into the car and told me to get going ....I found out after that my friend had started the conversation introducing himself as lieutenant Rosario .....maybe I was lucky that it was on the malecon in santo domingo and not like AE ...stopped in the middle of nowhere
after that I bought a video recorder for the car ...better to have and not need than to need and not have

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have been stopped a few times over the few years I have been going to d.r. .....mostly asked a question or two and waved on ...a few times outright asked for money as in " mucho hambre " I gave 100 /200 pesos and waved on and one time where I was stopped on the malecon in santo domingo as I was returning from boca chica about 5.30 in the evening ...the first cop tried to get me to drive down a side street ...he was joined by a number of cops..I refused because I thought it would be unsafe to do so ...I wanted to be seen ..he kept insisting that I pull down the side street and saying you have a lot of problems ...I had done nothing wrong ..even had my seat belt on and had not been on the cell phone ...eventually I was able to call someone I knew and they asked me to hand the phone to the cop ...as soon as the cop put the phone to his ear he threw it into the car and told me to get going ....I found out after that my friend had started the conversation introducing himself as lieutenant Rosario .....maybe I was lucky that it was on the malecon in santo domingo and not like AE ...stopped in the middle of nowhere
after that I bought a video recorder for the car ...better to have and not need than to need and not have

I have been quite a few times with no problems. The problem is that these people( bandits) are dressed as police but are not.
They robbed someone a few days ago under this guise. I am just saying that for me, if it is in a remote area and WORSE as night, with no official police cars, I would turn around if I could. I am not saying this to scare anyone , I am just saying that it happened .