Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bandits posing as police at checkpoints

I have heard lately that there is a gang from navarette robbing people on campo roads  they pull over for checkpoints . My suggestion is that if it is in a deserted area, and you don't see a police car,  turn around and get away before u get there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

does a police car make it a genuine checkpoint ?

3. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If there are no uniformed people with M16 assault rifles, then keep going.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Odd that this was posted today. Coming home from Santo Domingo yesterday, we came along a quiet section of road, trees on both sides, no houses, nothing. No other cars anywhere. And for the first time in 40 years on that road we see two cops and a motorcycle up ahead. One stayed with the bike, the other stood in the road and waved his hand for us to stop.

I said "what do they want?" And Mr AE said "what do you think?". We slowed down and I looked over at the bike and was glad to see it did have the Policia Nacional markings.

Stopped next to first guy, rolled down window, guys bends down to see us both, says "Buenos tardes" and Mr AE replied. Then he asked if we were going to the beach and Mr AE told him no, we were going home. He smiled, straightened and told us to have a nice day.

As we drove away, I said that could have ended very differently, look around, no cars, houses, not even a cow.

Administrator
    DR1.com

6. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

reportedly, PN and the army are throwing additional men on the streets in an attempt to combat the crime, including swat, topos and lince. so expect more checks, more roadblocks and more uniforms.

i'm not fond of "do not stop" advice. there have been cases the vehicles that did not stop were shot at and occupants killed.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Odd that this was posted today. Coming home from Santo Domingo yesterday, we came along a quiet section of road, trees on both sides, no houses, nothing. No other cars anywhere. And for the first time in 40 years on that road we see two cops and a motorcycle up ahead. One stayed with the bike, the other stood in the road and waved his hand for us to stop.

I said "what do they want?" And Mr AE said "what do you think?". We slowed down and I looked over at the bike and was glad to see it did have the Policia Nacional markings.

Stopped next to first guy, rolled down window, guys bends down to see us both, says "Buenos tardes" and Mr AE replied. Then he asked if we were going to the beach and Mr AE told him no, we were going home. He smiled, straightened and told us to have a nice day.

As we drove away, I said that could have ended very differently, look around, no cars, houses, not even a cow.
    glad it went smoothly for you

9. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post

... a cow would have been a prevention of something bad happening?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    ... a cow would have been a prevention of something bad happening?

It depends on the breed.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

I recall encountering a road block on the quietest section of road between Cotui and Pimental just after passing the Rio Camu bridge a few years back.

There were a couple of PN and a few others with them and it looked suspicious late afternoon on a Sunday as I was heading to Las Terrenas via Nagua (the old route from Santo Domingo to Samana before Juan Pablo 2 for those that know this route). There was zero opportunity to turn around and I doubt if that would have been a good idea. It was as remote as it could be on that road.

I was alone and my Spanish was iffy. So I chose to speak English only. I was clearly not of interest and was waved on. Only to be accosted a half mile further on the road by the guy that fills the pot holes and he was worth a 25 peso coin that day.

I hold the opinion that whilst foreigners are seen as an opportunity by PN for a few extra pesos, we are a protected species too. Too much hassle if things go wrong. However delinquents are a different proposition and it is best to be able to quickly identify who represent the dangerous encounters.
    Last edited by ju10prd; 03-31-2017 at 08:51 PM.

13. Likes lifeisgreat, southern, irishpaddy liked this post
    I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

So much easier to drop a few hundred pesos then to get into a " you know who I know" argument with a chap that has a 9th grade education and the machismo of a 19 year old.

15. Likes kampinge, InsanelyOne liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast