Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Air bnb forget the hotels

FYI.

Air Bnb is the way to go I have a friend who visits the capital monthly and started using Air Bnb . much cheaper than the hotels and nicer. when i go visit the places he rents I'm amazing how nice they are. Pool, cameras 24 security, and he could bring anyone he wants home.... Just and FYI , Peace out

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I did it twice now and can only recommend it. However most home  owners do not approve if u bring strangers to the house..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Julia31 View Post
    I did it twice now and can only recommend it. However most home  owners do not approve if u bring strangers to the house..
    yes they dont want parties but one person is okay...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using AirBnB and HomeAway when I travel for the past couple of years.  Most places are fantastic and well worth the price in comparison to hotels.  At times there are surprises though, and sometimes you're off the beaten path.  We went to Scotland this past July for 2 weeks and did exclusively AirBnB.  One property was managed by an agency and failed to mention that it was directly above a noisy pub. Another was bordering an area that (as I later found out from my Scotland Police cousin) had recently experienced a significant amount of crime. Not much had made the newspapers yet, so my searches didn't show anything.  We were fine and used common sense but it was a touch shady. The other 6-7 places we stayed were great. 

To keep it DR related, I've looked at AirBnB places here just out of curiosity, and there's definitely many more properties in the past year.  Most of what I find useful is in SD or other centers.  

I would recommend using AirBnB, but do your research as usual.  The problems I've encountered could have easily happened with hotels too for the most part. There are different types of cancellation policies ranging from Flexible to Strict categories. Ask lots  of questions when you contact property owners and chances are you'll find a great place to stay.  

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

before I bought my own place ...I used it regularly ...apts were very clean , comfortable and secure ...and better than staying in an hotel when it is longer than a few days

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auryn View Post
    I've been using AirBnB and HomeAway when I travel for the past couple of years.  Most places are fantastic and well worth the price in comparison to hotels.  At times there are surprises though, and sometimes you're off the beaten path.  We went to Scotland this past July for 2 weeks and did exclusively AirBnB.  One property was managed by an agency and failed to mention that it was directly above a noisy pub. Another was bordering an area that (as I later found out from my Scotland Police cousin) had recently experienced a significant amount of crime. Not much had made the newspapers yet, so my searches didn't show anything.  We were fine and used common sense but it was a touch shady. The other 6-7 places we stayed were great. 

To keep it DR related, I've looked at AirBnB places here just out of curiosity, and there's definitely many more properties in the past year.  Most of what I find useful is in SD or other centers.  

I would recommend using AirBnB, but do your research as usual.  The problems I've encountered could have easily happened with hotels too for the most part. There are different types of cancellation policies ranging from Flexible to Strict categories. Ask lots  of questions when you contact property owners and chances are you'll find a great place to stay.  
    Doesn't AirBnB have reviews?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comrade Airbnb

What about www.airbnbhell.com, the mandatory "ID Verified" process (send your passport, drivers licence, video, picture of face) and the dozens of complaints online?
    The complaints go into detail explaining how people who have used airbnb for years have their reservations cancelled during a trip. They send videos, government ID and airbnb is neglecting them. Some complain they can't reach a human. Why does airbnb have the "ID verified" process when vrbo.com and homeaway.com offer similar services without such requirements? Banks, governments, ecommerce websites - none of them force you to send government issued ID to make the "community safe" and if you believe Facebook and other data miners will not access the photos, that is contrary to the history of data brokers. One complaint said airbnb wanted to manage his google account. Not access, but manage. That means every contact in his google account, and his entire history. Why is that necessary to use airbnb? The complaints show how after each request for identity confirmation is made, airbnb selectively refuses them until it gets the arbitrary one it approves. Why? Airbnb is not free. There are more than five pages with hundreds of complaints about airbnb after a "airbnb complaint" search. Here's one: http://tinyurl.com/airbnbrr4. (Each airbnb host sets rules so bringing anyone you want home might not be allowed.)
    Quote Originally Posted by RDKNIGHT View Post
    FYI.

Air Bnb is the way to go I have a friend who visits the capital monthly and started using Air Bnb . much cheaper than the hotels and nicer. when i go visit the places he rents I'm amazing how nice they are. Pool, cameras 24 security, and he could bring anyone he wants home.... Just and FYI , Peace out
    Last edited by Domingo646; 04-01-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Doesn't AirBnB have reviews?

Yes JD, you're right.  The place above the pub was new and only had 3-4, none of which mentioned the noise.  We took a chance I suppose, but it's also possible that the previous reviewers were patrons of the pub and didn't mind.  Another place out in Paisely was new as well and had only one review.  Thankfully, it turned out to be fine.  If you go by the reviews on the verified places that have been listed for awhile, you'll have a good idea of what to expect.  Like anywhere. 

9. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo646 View Post
    What about www.airbnbhell.com, the mandatory "ID Verified" process (send your passport, drivers licence, video, picture of face) and the dozens of complaints online?
    The complaints go into detail explaining how people who have used airbnb for years have their reservations cancelled during a trip. They send videos, government ID and airbnb is neglecting them. Some complain they can't reach a human. Why does airbnb have the "ID verified" process when vrbo.com and homeaway.com offer similar services without such requirements? Banks, governments, ecommerce websites - none of them force you to send government issued ID to make the "community safe" and if you believe Facebook and other data miners will not access the photos, that is contrary to the history of data brokers. One complaint said airbnb wanted to manage his google account. Not access, but manage. That means every contact in his google account, and his entire history. Why is that necessary to use airbnb? The complaints show how after each request for identity confirmation is made, airbnb selectively refuses them until it gets the arbitrary one it approves. Why? Airbnb is not free. There are more than five pages with hundreds of complaints about airbnb after a "airbnb complaint" search. Here's one: http://tinyurl.com/airbnbrr4. (Each airbnb host sets rules so bringing anyone you want home might not be allowed.)

I sent a copy of my passport only to be a verified user, no other ID.  Just from the perspective of a proprietor, if I wanted to rent my place out online, to complete strangers, some sort of security would be necessary. You can list all of the house rules you want, and if you end up with some idiots in your home or on your property, knowing their identity is only fair.  

Not all hotels here allow "guests", and those that do often require identification.  It's no different than staying at a hotel really, you take the same chances and do your research.  

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Airbnb and the others are OK. But...Dominican hosts have to learn how to do business the US way. Too many times they delay responding to renters. Airbnb for example has a policy of confirming reservations within 24 hours so waiting 2 weeks to get back to someone or them cancelling 13 days before your arrival is unacceptable.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

12. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast