Air bnb forget the hotels

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
FYI.

Air Bnb is the way to go I have a friend who visits the capital monthly and started using Air Bnb . much cheaper than the hotels and nicer. when i go visit the places he rents I'm amazing how nice they are. Pool, cameras 24 security, and he could bring anyone he wants home.... Just and FYI , Peace out

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
I did it twice now and can only recommend it. However most home  owners do not approve if u bring strangers to the house..

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I've been using AirBnB and HomeAway when I travel for the past couple of years.  Most places are fantastic and well worth the price in comparison to hotels.  At times there are surprises though, and sometimes you're off the beaten path.  We went to Scotland this past July for 2 weeks and did exclusively AirBnB.  One property was managed by an agency and failed to mention that it was directly above a noisy pub. Another was bordering an area that (as I later found out from my Scotland Police cousin) had recently experienced a significant amount of crime. Not much had made the newspapers yet, so my searches didn't show anything.  We were fine and used common sense but it was a touch shady. The other 6-7 places we stayed were great. 

To keep it DR related, I've looked at AirBnB places here just out of curiosity, and there's definitely many more properties in the past year.  Most of what I find useful is in SD or other centers.  

I would recommend using AirBnB, but do your research as usual.  The problems I've encountered could have easily happened with hotels too for the most part. There are different types of cancellation policies ranging from Flexible to Strict categories. Ask lots  of questions when you contact property owners and chances are you'll find a great place to stay.  

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
before I bought my own place ...I used it regularly ...apts were very clean , comfortable and secure ...and better than staying in an hotel when it is longer than a few days

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've been using AirBnB and HomeAway when I travel for the past couple of years.  Most places are fantastic and well worth the price in comparison to hotels.  At times there are surprises though, and sometimes you're off the beaten path.  We went to Scotland this past July for 2 weeks and did exclusively AirBnB.  One property was managed by an agency and failed to mention that it was directly above a noisy pub. Another was bordering an area that (as I later found out from my Scotland Police cousin) had recently experienced a significant amount of crime. Not much had made the newspapers yet, so my searches didn't show anything.  We were fine and used common sense but it was a touch shady. The other 6-7 places we stayed were great. 

To keep it DR related, I've looked at AirBnB places here just out of curiosity, and there's definitely many more properties in the past year.  Most of what I find useful is in SD or other centers.  

I would recommend using AirBnB, but do your research as usual.  The problems I've encountered could have easily happened with hotels too for the most part. There are different types of cancellation policies ranging from Flexible to Strict categories. Ask lots  of questions when you contact property owners and chances are you'll find a great place to stay.  

Doesn't AirBnB have reviews?

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Comrade Airbnb

What about www.airbnbhell.com, the mandatory "ID Verified" process (send your passport, drivers licence, video, picture of face) and the dozens of complaints online?
The complaints go into detail explaining how people who have used airbnb for years have their reservations cancelled during a trip. They send videos, government ID and airbnb is neglecting them. Some complain they can't reach a human. Why does airbnb have the "ID verified" process when vrbo.com and homeaway.com offer similar services without such requirements? Banks, governments, ecommerce websites - none of them force you to send government issued ID to make the "community safe" and if you believe Facebook and other data miners will not access the photos, that is contrary to the history of data brokers. One complaint said airbnb wanted to manage his google account. Not access, but manage. That means every contact in his google account, and his entire history. Why is that necessary to use airbnb? The complaints show how after each request for identity confirmation is made, airbnb selectively refuses them until it gets the arbitrary one it approves. Why? Airbnb is not free. There are more than five pages with hundreds of complaints about airbnb after a "airbnb complaint" search. Here's one: http://tinyurl.com/airbnbrr4. (Each airbnb host sets rules so bringing anyone you want home might not be allowed.)
FYI.

Air Bnb is the way to go I have a friend who visits the capital monthly and started using Air Bnb . much cheaper than the hotels and nicer. when i go visit the places he rents I'm amazing how nice they are. Pool, cameras 24 security, and he could bring anyone he wants home.... Just and FYI , Peace out

Last edited:

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Doesn't AirBnB have reviews?

Yes JD, you're right.  The place above the pub was new and only had 3-4, none of which mentioned the noise.  We took a chance I suppose, but it's also possible that the previous reviewers were patrons of the pub and didn't mind.  Another place out in Paisely was new as well and had only one review.  Thankfully, it turned out to be fine.  If you go by the reviews on the verified places that have been listed for awhile, you'll have a good idea of what to expect.  Like anywhere. 

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
What about www.airbnbhell.com, the mandatory "ID Verified" process (send your passport, drivers licence, video, picture of face) and the dozens of complaints online?
The complaints go into detail explaining how people who have used airbnb for years have their reservations cancelled during a trip. They send videos, government ID and airbnb is neglecting them. Some complain they can't reach a human. Why does airbnb have the "ID verified" process when vrbo.com and homeaway.com offer similar services without such requirements? Banks, governments, ecommerce websites - none of them force you to send government issued ID to make the "community safe" and if you believe Facebook and other data miners will not access the photos, that is contrary to the history of data brokers. One complaint said airbnb wanted to manage his google account. Not access, but manage. That means every contact in his google account, and his entire history. Why is that necessary to use airbnb? The complaints show how after each request for identity confirmation is made, airbnb selectively refuses them until it gets the arbitrary one it approves. Why? Airbnb is not free. There are more than five pages with hundreds of complaints about airbnb after a "airbnb complaint" search. Here's one: http://tinyurl.com/airbnbrr4. (Each airbnb host sets rules so bringing anyone you want home might not be allowed.)

I sent a copy of my passport only to be a verified user, no other ID.  Just from the perspective of a proprietor, if I wanted to rent my place out online, to complete strangers, some sort of security would be necessary. You can list all of the house rules you want, and if you end up with some idiots in your home or on your property, knowing their identity is only fair.  

Not all hotels here allow "guests", and those that do often require identification.  It's no different than staying at a hotel really, you take the same chances and do your research.  

Apr 7, 2014
Airbnb and the others are OK. But...Dominican hosts have to learn how to do business the US way. Too many times they delay responding to renters. Airbnb for example has a policy of confirming reservations within 24 hours so waiting 2 weeks to get back to someone or them cancelling 13 days before your arrival is unacceptable.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have listed our apartment rentals in Cabarete with Airbnb since shortly after they started. I was asked to be their "representative" in the DR. That would have meant me recruiting other people to rent their properties through Airbnb, so I declined to participate in that endeavor. They do provide the most leads for our rentals of the various methods I use. No issues to report using them in that manner.

It is absolutely true that many rental properties here simply do not respond. I am told that frequently by people that rent from us.

I have yet to use Airbnb when I travel since I have access to various properties through previously purchased vacation ownership programs.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I prefer airbnb because they give you discounts on longer stays. The others do not. But yes i highly recommend them too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I prefer airbnb because they give you discounts on longer stays. The others do not. But yes i highly recommend them too.

The fee schedules are actually set up by those supplying the rental space on Airbnb, not Airbnb itself. Some parts of the world have made using Airbnb illegal.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
As a hotel owner, I'd just like to add my two cents worth here. I will also say that I use AirBnB personally when I stay in Santo Domingo, and my hotel hosts a lot of stays through them, so I know them reasonably well. First, understand that the AirBnB charging model is completely different. Booking.com and Expedia (which owns Hotels.com) charge hotels usually between 18% and 20% commission. This is included in the price that you pay. AirBnB only charges hotels 3% commission, but charges the person who books a further 12%. So for example, if you see a price of $100 on Booking.com, this is the same as a price of $89 on AirBnB because you have to add the 12%. Because of this, prices on AirBnB often look a lot lower.

Secondly, worth mentioning that if AirBnB, in my opinion, normally isn't good for short stays. Apartments often come without basics like towels and toilet rolls, there's no breakfast, no reception and very little service. I do think AirBnB is perfect if you're coming for a week, if you know the area you're going to be staying in and won't need any help during your stay. If you're just arriving in a country, don't know your way around, and won't be able to go to a supermarket and stock up the fridge when you arrive, then a hotel is best.

I will say that the customer service provided by AirBnB is absolutely excellent. Where we have had problems with AirBnB guests, they have handled our concerns professionally, have liaised with the guest, and have been very supportive. They are years ahead of the other sites in this regard. You won't find their phone number on their website, but if you google it comes straight up.

Final thing to say is that yes, they do have reviews, they ask the property and the guest both to submit reviews of each other, and when both are submitted they are published. I like that the property has the chance to submit their own review, because not all guests are angels and it does give the property a chance to set out their side of the story.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The biggest problem with Airbnb that I have found is the owners don't keep the calendar up to date.  You can plan your trip, flight, etc. then try to book and find out the place is rented already.  Other than that, it beats the heck out of the prices the so- called property management companies want in Punta Cana, for example, for apartments.  Worth a little more work with Airbnb to get around those people.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Air Bnb I have seen some of the apartments they are really nice and cheaper in SDQ . whats makes air bnb good is 18% tax 10 % tips you don't have to pay. this is what the Jaragua hotel charges after the $140 pr day.