Banco Progreso

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
ATMs not working? Tried both Friday and Saturday in SD-Galeria 360. Both times, ATM timed out and said could not dispense cash at this time.

The again today, I was at S. Nacional on Tiradentes and saw a lady at the ATM same thing happened.

Seems to be more than just unique to any one ATM and is not a blackout on all banks as other bank ATMs are working.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Progresso has a problem when your using chip cards. the atm software does not handle it.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Progresso has a problem when your using chip cards. the atm software does not handle it.

That sounds like a problem that would be consistent.
I also have seen certain Progresso ATMs doing this for months at a time in the Nacional. So they must read chips on some days/months and not others. I would guess no, its just another 'lack of service" issue.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Once a Progreso ATM gave me $7,000 but the receipt said $8,000. On another time it allegedly did the transaction, gave me the receipt, but no money. These ATM's suck!

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Yesterday, with a card with chip could not withdraw money. It said my 4 digit code was not correct. I have used the same card for months without a problem. I could withdraw money from popular atms. Thanks for posting.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Once a Progreso ATM gave me $7,000 but the receipt said $8,000. On another time it allegedly did the transaction, gave me the receipt, but no money. These ATM's suck!

Never had a problem before with Banco Progreso ATMs. One of the only ATMs for $150DOP/transaction that you can pull out higher amounts without limits.

Other ATMs like Banreservas and Asoc Cibao have $4K and $5K per transaction limits, respectively.

BP & BHD-Leon have $195 fee per transaction.

La Nacional-no fee and no limits, but my chip card doesn't always work at all of their ATMs and I get the sense my card was cloned at their ATM in Agora Mall, 'cause the card came back out of the machine exceedingly slow like it was being copied.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Yesterday, with a card with chip could not withdraw money. It said my 4 digit code was not correct. I have used the same card for months without a problem. I could withdraw money from popular atms. Thanks for posting.

Seems like it was system wide and not just with external cards with chips as the lady in front of me was using a Banco Progreso debit card and it did not disperse money.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
La Nacional-no fee and no limits, but my chip card doesn't always work at all of their ATMs and I get the sense my card was cloned at their ATM in Agora Mall, 'cause the card came back out of the machine exceedingly slow like it was being copied.

I hope you called (or went to) the bank when it was open and asked them to put a hold on that card and to emit a new atm/debit card with new digits for your account.

It's better to go through all of that trouble and, in the best of cases, realize you did it for nothing because the atm machine was acting weird that day; rather than have the surprise of new unknown charges to your account and having to clear that mess! 

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

That ATM is working perfect, It is doing what is supposed to do to benefit the bank. It is funny and make me wonder if this is really an error or by design. Every time that this type of so called "error" is committed for some reason the bank has the upper hand. mmmmmmm

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

Yup, just happened to me as well. Tried three times with the B-Progreso ATM at Galeria 360. All three times, the ATM claims the pin code is wrong

Never had a problem with this bank's atms, until the last week or so.

Aug 21, 2007

Yes, in Sosua, I had the same thing on the 5th and today, on the 7th. It said that my pin was not right. I proceeded to a second ATM of another bank, which I frequently use, and withdrew my money with no problem.

Lindsey

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This happened to me yesterday in La Romana. I tried twice to withdraw a few thousand pesos at Progresso ATM and twice it said my PIN number was wrong. First time this has happened to me. I have used that same ATM many times before because I was able to withdraw 20,000 with one transcaction, one fee. So, not just north coast or other places. South/east at that one too.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Equally bad now is that many of the ATM's here in the south/east limit to 3,000 or 4,000 pesos for one transaction. Yesterday in central La Romana (were I went first) both Banco Leon and Progresso the limits were that. You can do multiple small transactions for multiple fees. Not me. That's why I went somewhere else later in the day.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I read the OP again and have to say I also tried a Banco Popular ATM and it did what he says. It said ok to the withdrawal, but then would not dispense the cash. The ATM made noise, said wait, for more than five minutes. And, finally spit out a receipt that said "can not dispense" in English. I was doing the transaction in Spanish. Using a card with chip from the U.S. Someone ATM smart might be able to say what was going on. A few minutes later I used the same card at a Banco Leon ATM and made the withdrawal with no problem.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Equally bad now is that many of the ATM's here in the south/east limit to 3,000 or 4,000 pesos for one transaction. Yesterday in central La Romana (were I went first) both Banco Leon and Progresso the limits were that. You can do multiple small transactions for multiple fees. Not me. That's why I went somewhere else later in the day.

Actually it was Banreservas that had the 3,000 peso limit near parque central. Banco Leon 4,000. But, at the other location I got 10,000 from the Banco Leon ATM. Inconsistent. Depends on location.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Actually it was Banreservas that had the 3,000 peso limit near parque central. Banco Leon 4,000. But, at the other location I got 10,000 from the Banco Leon ATM. Inconsistent. Depends on location.

The situation in this country with ATMs has become almost unbearable.

I tried a Banco BHD Leon ATM the other day and they wanted RD$195 with a RD$3,000 limit per transaction-Crazy.

Banco Progreso ATMs were the best bet at $RD150 with no real limit, but now they don't even work at all.

Then, I went to a La Nacional ATM-supposedly they have no fees, but the ATM timed out-cancelled the transaction and took the money out of my account in the US with no return of said monies from the cancelled transaction-Now I have to put a ticket in for that one.

Asoc. Cibao was a good bet, but then they changed their ATMs to a RD$132 fee per transaction and RD$5,000 limit. Before no limit and no fee.

Banreservas-Fee of RD$195 and RD$4000 limit.

ATMs are barely working in this country and now the banks have made it even more increasingly costly and difficult to use them.

Apr 7, 2014
Yea this is disconcerting. I too use to use Cibao Prestamos but now my US Chase card doesnt work in their machines. Even at the airport my US card doesnt work at ANY of their machines.

I was able to use the Banco Progreso machines at Clinica Corominas to suck out 10K pesos but I dont know whats going on now.
I go, take out a bundle and use that to get me thru the week. Im not interested in that make several withdrawals a week because your limits are low.
Nor do I like those machines that want you to insert your card. I like the stick in and swipe readers.
But if none of them work who cares. All of these systems are supposed to compliant with MAC and PLUS so I dont know why they dont work.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Same thing in Bavaro yesterday. I tried to withdraw from Banco Leon ATM. I got through putting in withdrawal information. Screen showed a hand withdrawing money, but no money came out. Then it said "do you need more time." I hit button - no. Still no money. Nothing would happen. Banco Progresso ATM would not do anything - I think it said wrong password again.

Had to go to Banco Popular ATM. Worked perfect. 10,000. But 195 peso fee. It looks like their machines are the most reliable now with chip card. And, the last two times the ONLY one that would work with that card.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Same thing in Bavaro yesterday. I tried to withdraw from Banco Leon ATM. I got through putting in withdrawal information. Screen showed a hand withdrawing money, but no money came out. Then it said "do you need more time." I hit button - no. Still no money. Nothing would happen. Banco Progresso ATM would not do anything - I think it said wrong password again.

Had to go to Banco Popular ATM. Worked perfect. 10,000. But 195 peso fee. It looks like their machines are the most reliable now with chip card. And, the last two times the ONLY one that would work with that card.

Thanks for that info about BP ATMs-Good to know. Do you think that you could pull out 20,000 in one withdrawal for that 195 fee?