Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thomas Cook to ban dolphin encounters in DR

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ps-tours-amid/

Ocean World at POP was specifically mentioned about the cruelty to their dolphins. Alleging that 39% of their dolphins were captured from the wild.

2. Likes DR Solar liked this post
    Dislikes Conchman disliked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ps-tours-amid/

Ocean World at POP was specifically mentioned about the cruelty to their dolphins. Alleging that 39% of their dolphins were captured from the wild.
    39% seems an odd number? Better to be captured than clubbed to death or hunted for your meat.

For clarity, the cruelty claim stems from a report 7yrs ago.

4. Likes sanpedrogringo, Conchman liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

How does a travel agency from one county "ban" something in another country?

6. Likes sanpedrogringo, jruane44 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Doesnt include them in their package holidays, i guess

On a side note oceanworld looks really sad and run down nowadays, from the outside at least ( didnt go in, was just at the beach next to it )

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    39% seems an odd number? Better to be captured than clubbed to death or hunted for your meat.

For clarity, the cruelty claim stems from a report 7yrs ago.
    I would think that some POW would disagree with your statement

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thomas Cook UK haven't flown to the North Coast for many years.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    They are saying that they will no longer have Ocean World on their tour schedule in the DR. They made a conscience decision to try to change the narrative keeping "wild" animals in captivity for the publics pleasure. Sea World in the States has run into the same problems with their Orca's. It's a fine line between inter-action and abuse of these animals.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are enough boats/catamaran's on the island willing to take you out to see Dolphins or Whales au natural. I'd much rather see them that way anyway.

12. Likes irishpaddy, Peterj, Snowmane72 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bravooo - everybody should ban these Shows all over the world... Shame on all business throughout the world keeping wild animals in captivity for profit. How can somebody enjoy visiting places like that ? Out of ignorance and stupidity I guess .

14. Likes dinosinc liked this post
    Dislikes sanpedrogringo, cobraboy disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was helping a friend in the travel industry to organise excursions and I went with him to Ocean World and had a show-round by the boss last year. I thought it was truly awful and thought the way the animals were "trained" to do things that clearly they would not do in the wild was just wrong. Nothing looked very clean, the conditions looked basic at best, and everything seemed geared to exploiting the fact that kids like dolphins and trying to nickel and dime the parents out of their last few cents. Horrible place, I think top marks go to Thomas Cook for dropping it. Travel firms seem to copy each other with this type of thing, so I expect many others will now drop it, and hopefully it will close down or change for the better.

16. Likes Auryn liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast